K&A lock 66 and other stories

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I am moored just above lock 70 at Froxfield. Apparently Lock 66 is closed because of gate damage (someone mentioned a collar). Word on the towpath is it may be fixed tomorrow, but the canal is very low above it.

I an waiting for news of the summit, which closed Saturday and was being reviewed today at 1pm. That closure has gone off the CRT stoppages page but my guess is that they won't have much water to spare to operate Crofton and Wootton Rivers locks after refilling the pound above 66. 

I'll go back home tomorrow and wait for it to get better, work to do. Before i do i may wonder up and see what the state of play is.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I am moored just above lock 70 at Froxfield. Apparently Lock 66 is closed because of gate damage (someone mentioned a collar). Word on the towpath is it may be fixed tomorrow, but the canal is very low above it.

I an waiting for news of the summit, which closed Saturday and was being reviewed today at 1pm. That closure has gone off the CRT stoppages page but my guess is that they won't have much water to spare to operate Crofton and Wootton Rivers locks after refilling the pound above 66. 

I'll go back home tomorrow and wait for it to get better, work to do. Before i do i may wonder up and see what the state of play is.

Hi Magpie, Wootton Rivers lock was opened today for restricted hours, 10.00am to 3.00pm ish, and I think will continue like this for the time being, levels still very low. It caused chaos over the weekend with hire boats coming to a halt at Wootton and then having to reverse then wind. It doesn't look like Cart got the info out very well! I didn't get the email stoppage until the day after the event.

We are at Great Bedwyn. I heard today that Wilton Water is low,nothing unusual there then, so this trips the pumps at Crofton. I also heard about the lockgate already referred to. This drained the pounds above. CRT have been running water down all day, which in turn has not helped the Crofton pounds.

All a bit of a mess,but I'm confident CRT will sort it. Loads of CRT vehicles about.

Martyn

Just cycled up to lock 66: the anchor on the top towpath side gate has clearly been attended to recently and the other side has shiny new nuts. The pound above is perhaps 6 inches down but the pound below is around two feet down.

Probably navigable with care, my own problem is i need to be back in Frome late afternoon and in Swansea for a meeting tomorrow, so i think the safe bet is stay put and try at the weekend. 

Popped up to Brimslade to check the situation this afternoon, summit pound looks about back to normal and long pound almost back to normal depth. Still restricted hrs through Wootton lock, 10.00 am to 3.00pm. 

We left Great Bedwyn Saturday morning and travelled to Hungerford with no apparent problems. We need to be in Newbury for the 21st. Didn't desire getting trapped on the wrong side of any unforeseen stoppages.

So we are making our way slowly,very slowly.

Passed Lutine Bell and all looked well. Loads of rain yesterday and just started raining agin now. We are between Hungerford and Kintbury now.

One of the locks above Great Bedwyn (no.?) closed today and tomorrow. Repairs not water issue.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We left Great Bedwyn Saturday morning and travelled to Hungerford with no apparent problems. We need to be in Newbury for the 21st. Didn't desire getting trapped on the wrong side of any unforeseen stoppages.

So we are making our way slowly,very slowly.

Passed Lutine Bell and all looked well. Loads of rain yesterday and just started raining agin now. We are between Hungerford and Kintbury now.

One of the locks above Great Bedwyn (no.?) closed today and tomorrow. Repairs not water issue.

Thank you! Kind of update I like to get :)