Brentford Thames Lock

WJM

Featured Posts

Has anyone else had a very unsettling experience with one of the lock-keepers at Brentford's tidal Thames Lock? 

There is a well established set of standard procedures for transiting in and out of Brentford. These standard procedures are highly recommended for anyone who is inexperienced, has no local knowledge or who is generally nervous of being on the tideway. 

However, if you do have a good local knowledge and a good understanding of your boat's capabilities then there are many other options for when and how to transit through the area. 

Twice now, I have had a phone conversation that verged on an out-and-out argument with one particular lock-keeper. The dialogue goes something like this:

"No you can't do that". "Well yes I can"

"There won't be enough water then". "Yes there will, I have checked the tide height"

"Well I might not be here then". "You are obliged to be there for two hours each side of high tide" 

As I understand it, the lock-keepers are there to facilitate the transit of boats and to offer guidance and advice to boaters who seek it - and in extreme circumstances to prevent safety problems from occurring. They are not there to enforce their own opinions on navigation in areas outside of their lock area.

Am I the only one experiencing this strange aberration? 

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

I found the female lockie there helpful earlier in the year but I was coming in at Brentford. 

I get the impression that as long as you are following the standard procedure then all is well. It is moving away from the standard that elicits this unacceptable response.

39 minutes ago, WJM said:

"You are obliged to be there for two hours each side of high tide" 

Legally, they are obliged to be there for all the time transit is possible, which can be for longer than 2 hours either side of the higher spring tides. Institutionally, they are obliged to be there over the 4 hour window.

Additionally, they continue the offence of blocking the alternate route around the original river course, that used to allow transit at high tides without having to use the locks. Little to no chance of that ever being remedied.

The issue of incivility aside [which I have never experienced there], it could be that operators are insufficiently educated/trained volunteers?

11 minutes ago, WJM said:

I get the impression that as long as you are following the standard procedure then all is well. It is moving away from the standard that elicits this unacceptable response.

Fair enough. I've found that tbh with all the lockies all over the system both staff and vlockies....both CRT & EA. It's like if you dare question their advice or actions you are wrong....even asking advice has sometimes got a sarky answer....sometimes they do know better but definitely not always. 

Thames Lock is operated by staff, not volunteers. 

By contrast, I often use the River Thames when it is on Yellow Flood Boards. The lock-keepers there will offer their good and learned advice about conditions, sometimes recommending that it might be better to wait it out. But at no point do they ever attempt to overstep the law - the river is available for navigation at all times regardless of the conditions. 

I have been coming through Brentford Locks for over a decade, maybe four or five trips a year. This is an isolated phenomena. It is the veiled threat of "I might not be here" that really gets my back up. 

Edited by WJM