Cleaning white mist off squirrel glass

RufusR

Featured Posts

Any one have any tips for cleaning white mist from stove gass ? Tried lots nothing working , would really like to a pose replacing glass . Like my fires winter cosy glow too much to do nothing though lol

anyone got. Magic idea / cleaning product ? 

58 minutes ago, mross said:

Utter madness to use a metal scraper since it will inevitably scratch the glass.  Putting ash on my cleaning cloth seems to offer no advantage.  Plain kitchen towel and water seems to work well on my two stoves.

Obviously something you have never tried .... how on earth can a flat 3" wide edge be more likely to scratch glass than ash on a wet cloth or paper (which in effect is like using coarse grade wet and dry!)

I have a villager stove that doesnt have the best air curtain behind the glass and have been using a scraper since it was brand new with absolutely no detriment whatsoever to the glass ... where i have seen other peoples stoves with obvious swirl marks where an abrasive has been used, but even that surprises me as the glass is obviously both tempered and heat resistant, so far more resilient than "normal" glass.

Rick

Just now, mross said:

OK.  You have that experience.  However, I have never needed to use anything sharp or abrasive.  Just paper, water and elbow grease. 

With all due respect it comes down to how good the air curtain is running up the front of your glass, my aarrow stove would do with just a wipe from a wet cloth or baby wipe like yours but the villager is a nightmare ... 

Rick

• Greenie 1

A "magic sponge" works miracles on some types of grime, without any visible scratches (but don't use it on your car's paintwork or specs without checking first).

LN_890065_BP_11.jpg

It is ideal for removing tea stains from inside mugs, and bringing old PVC window frames back to sparkling white!

p.s. It has the structural strength of a digestive biscuit, so you can't use it on a rough surface, but only costs about a quid.

Edited by Canal Cuttings
added p.s.

6 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Prior to this thread, everytime I've seen the use of ash mentioned it has always been specified that it must be wood ash, not coal. Is that not the case?

Apologies if I´ve missed that in the thread somewhere.

Well, I am no expert, but smokeless fuel ash feels pretty gritty and scratchy to me.  Fortunately, baby wipes do a fab job on my Bubble solid fuel stove onboard.  At home though, my Aarrow woodburner gets the ash treatment because baby wipes often don't achieve a clean glass and wood ash feels like very fine talcum powder.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What exactly is a 'baby wipe' please?

Or do you mean use a baby to wipe the glass??

It is another name for a wet wipes, usually sold in the baby stuff aisle in supermarkets and whilst good for cleaning many things they are marketed for cleaning babies bums.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What exactly is a 'baby wipe' please?

Or do you mean use a baby to wipe the glass??

You have it. Take a freshly squeezed baby (a furry one like a young koala or even an adult bush baby is ideal), dip it in jojoba oil or rub it with a very ripe avocado, then simply wipe the glass in a circular rubbing motion, turning occasionally. Don't use hedgehogs or you risk scratching the glass.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You have it. Take a freshly squeezed baby (a furry one like a young koala or even an adult bush baby is ideal), dip it in jojoba oil or rub it with a very ripe avocado, then simply wipe the glass in a circular rubbing motion, turning occasionally. Don't use hedgehogs or you risk scratching the glass.

Surely it should be a squirrel, preferably a gray one. 

Koalas for kabolas

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Nah - squirrels go in the pot on top of the stove! Could use just the pelt I guess, but they're better for making winter cod pieces.

Whip ya pelt codpiece off, clean the glass . Don't forget to leave it to cool before you put it back on. 

On 06/09/2017 at 15:29, dccruiser said:

With all due respect it comes down to how good the air curtain is running up the front of your glass, my aarrow stove would do with just a wipe from a wet cloth or baby wipe like yours but the villager is a nightmare ... 

Rick

Plus, I think it's dependent on what you burn. I only ever burn good quality smokeless ovals and a wipe over with a damp cloth, after the door has been left open for a couple of minutes to cool, does the job.