Aquadrive

Old Son

Featured Posts

I am considering fitting an Aquadrive to my 64' narrow boat. I currently have a plummer block assembly and am concerned that just a little movement from the engine will cause excessive strain on the gearbox.

I have just returned from a trip up the Thames and I would not rev the engine more than 2k for fear of causing an issue. It is going to be fairly expensive, the Aquadrive unit will be £600 plus VAT and then the cost of fitting.

My question is, do those with an Aquadrive unit think the benefits are worth the cost of installation and would those who do not have one fitted consider fitting one?

When my boat was new, 30 years ago, it was fitted with Aquadrive. Had it not been installed, I would never have considered it for the cost, which was then about the same as you quoted, though it may have included VAT. If I were to commission another craft, Aquadrive would be top of my list.

In the interim, I have repacked the stern gland twice, and the transmission of vibration to the shell is negligible. Even with a plummer block, you can still get misalignment at the shaft to a small extent, creating wear.  You will probably need to invest in a new set of engine mounts, such as R & D, to achieve full benefit. Do you have sufficient length between gearbox and propshaft to accommodate the Aquadrive?

Edited by Ex Brummie
Misseed a point out.
  • Greenie 1

Total cost of fitting an Aquadrive is around £1500 depending on the boat but it is totally worth it.  You see a lot of expensive boats that don't have them, for the life of me I can't understand why.  Apart from removing the strain on the prop shaft bearing/transmission they allow the flexible engine mounts to do their job.  (You should see how a three cylinder engine really shakes about  when fitted with an Aquadrive).  This means you get very little engine vibration transmitted through the hull which means greater refinement and less noise.  A friend of mine has a Hudson on which he has spent a lot of money reducing engine noise (it's not a trad engine room) when he heard my boat under way he couldn't believe how much quieter it was.  He knew nothing about proper flexible drives but he's getting one fitted now.  

Believe me, you will forget the cost when you experience the difference an Aquadrive makes.

One other thing, the Python Drive is a cheaper alternative but I think you get what you pay for.  I had this discussion with Chas Hardern last year who has flexible drives on all his hire boats and having tried both he reckoned the Aquadrive was the more durable unit.  Mine is coming up 30 years old and hasn't been touched though I will get it reconditioned this winter as I think there is a bit too much play in one of the bearings. 

Also Centaflex do their version with a  differed front flexible. It does not really matter what make or design you get as long as it has two points of flexibility allowing radial misalignment as well as angular AND a decent  thrust bearing to support the front of the shaft. Even a pair of universal joints will do as long as they are aligned to each other properly although that option might give rise to a little cyclic vibration.

I don't think  any would help a solid mounted engine though but then as long as the shaft alignment is good any vibrations from the shaft should be minimal.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I have a Python unit, I got it because of the hefty thrust bearing and slightly unusual drive train (a sort of z shape) and have never touched the stern gear. I would certainly use a Python / Aquadrive again as the engine and gearbox can wobble about as it wishes and the stern gear is isolated.