Fitting an immersion heater

RichM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Whilst Trojan require them to be recharged every time the fridge switches off... :giggles:

How would you know? You've never had any!

Just as a matter of interest, when Jeff stayed on the boat for 6 days in Hungerford, he only ran the engine an hour or so each day to get the SoC up to 90% or so, and there was no detectable loss of capacity as a result on the first discharge after getting back to 100%. Not that 6 days is a long time of course, but it does perhaps show that real Trojans are less sensitive than you suggest.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

How would you know? You've never had any!

Just as a matter of interest, when Jeff stayed on the boat for 6 days in Hungerford, he only ran the engine an hour or so each day to get the SoC up to 90% or so, and there was no detectable loss of capacity as a result on the first discharge after getting back to 100%. Not that 6 days is a long time of course, but it does perhaps show that real Trojans are less sensitive than you suggest.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm quoting this from the Trojan website.

("Batteries must be recharged immediately after every discharge", or words to that effect.)

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm quoting this from the Trojan website.

("Batteries must be recharged immediately after every discharge", or words to that effect.)

The exact words are::

"Batteries should be fully charged after each use "

Bearing in mind the intended use is as a golf cart battery, I don't think they are expecting it to be recharged every time the golf cart comes to rest. Just at the end of each day that the cart is used.

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is, but plenty of evidence here that it still happens. 

The problem is who to raise it with, apparently. When it happens to you, you make a complaint to the regulator and nothing happens. Radio silence IIRC. So you pay up or change moorings.  OR, you make a complaint and your moorings agreement gets terminated so peeps are reluctant to make an issue of it.

But in addition tariffs vary hugely. The boater actually has no idea what price is being paid by the moorings provider unless they choose to fess up. So how would they know?

As I understand it for commercial properties as a landlord you can charge what you like per unit. The law on recharging only applies to domestic use....certainly on our commercial unit our landlord charges per unit...which when we moved in in 2009 was quite high...however it's never changed and it's now comparable with buying it directly. 

Whether a marina is commercial or domestic might be a mute point...FWIW here we are charged a good price per unit and a reasonable quarterly service charge. 

If the calorifier is vertical - as the photo suggests - then any heater is not going to supply much hot water as it appears to be more than half way up the tank. OTOH if the unit is horizontal - then disregard this post.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm inclined to disagree with this bit. If a sharp tap is going to break the 'stiction', it might as well be in the direction of loosening it. I see no upside in tightening it further, only downside!

A sharp tap tighter breaks the scale and creates a gap from which it falls. You then have a 'bit of slack' to go before undoing. Has worked for me in the past. It's a tipI picked up  from a very experienced man.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

A sharp tap tighter breaks the scale and creates a gap from which it falls. You then have a 'bit of slack' to go before undoing. Has worked for me in the past. It's a tipI picked up  from a very experienced man.

Lol and you think I've been doing it five minutes?!

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol and you think I've been doing it five minutes?!

I think I've probably 'doing it' as long , if not longer than you. I'm not disparaging your ability, but surely you know that every day is a schoolday in any walk of life. I know I'm still learning, and hopefully still helping others learn.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I think I've probably 'doing it' as long , if not longer than you. I'm not disparaging your ability, but surely you know that every day is a schoolday in any walk of life. I know I'm still learning, and hopefully still helping others learn.

We only stop leaarn when died.

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If the calorifier is vertical - as the photo suggests - then any heater is not going to supply much hot water as it appears to be more than half way up the tank. OTOH if the unit is horizontal - then disregard this post.

I cannot see how it makes a difference? every domestic one i have ever come across is vertical, some having an element in the side some in the top, the one on my boat is also vertical and heats a full tank in 20 or so minutes (75 litre surecal) ... irrespective of where the element is the tank is full and a 27" element in a vertical tank heats the water just as efficiently as one in a horizontal tank as was the tank in my previous boat.

Rick

5 hours ago, dccruiser said:

I cannot see how it makes a difference? every domestic one i have ever come across is vertical, some having an element in the side some in the top, the one on my boat is also vertical and heats a full tank in 20 or so minutes (75 litre surecal) ... irrespective of where the element is the tank is full and a 27" element in a vertical tank heats the water just as efficiently as one in a horizontal tank as was the tank in my previous boat.

Rick

An element in the side of a cylinder will switch off when the temperature of the contents at its level reaches the set temperature. As heat rises, then only the water above the element will be at the set temperature.(The water at the top may be significantly higher because of the physics).

The water below the element will be lower than the set temperature. Over time, conduction would equalize the temperature to a large extent, but water usage would negate this effect. In domestic installations where immersion heaters are the sole source of heat, there are usually two heaters, one at the base and one at the top. The bottom one is used for main heating, with the top one available for a quick boost.

I was going to do this but couldn't seem to find a 1kw heater at a reasonable price whereas 3kw ones are less than half the price.  I didn't know if 3kw was overkill so ended up leaving it as we have a Morco for summer use and an Eberspacher in the winter.

You can buy the shorter one which is what you need a lot lot cheaper on ebay

i know because was searching for pycloud

I got that wrong, but £24.99 is a bit cheaper

col

Edited by bigcol