Two Canoe Gypsies

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

On a recent visit to Barter Books in Alnwick, Northumberland (a must-visit if you're in the area - allow at least half a day, as it's no ordinary bookshop), I acquired a book as part of my barter called Two Canoe Gypsies, subtitled Being an Account of an Eight Hundred Mile Canal Voyage through Belgium, Brittany, Touraine, Gascony and Languedoc.  It was published in 1933.  I've only dipped into it so far (there are other bartered books ahead of it), but it seems a fascinating account of the European waterways between the wars, with some interesting pictures, which are 'Copyright National Geographic', the author, Melville Chater being a National Geographic photographer.  I reproduce just one of them here, but if anyone thinks that this will bring the wrath of National Geographic down on CWDF, please feel free to delete.   Has anyone else come across this book?

Canoe Gypsy.jpg

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

amazing how the lady managed to look so presentable if she was really camping........  or did she insist on a b'n'b every night? 

Probably booked online using AirBnB, you can clearly see the ladies laptop next to her.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

No, but now I would like to.

Amazon lists three copies for sale, but all are in the U.S.A.

There was a copy on eBay earlier this year, which attracted no bids.  I've contacted the seller to see if he still has it.  The US copies you mention have extortionate shipping charges but this one seems not to https://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/qwork/6861029   Barter books comes up in searches, but I've got their copy!

The Alibris advert is odd: they mention "All copies (1)", suggesting they have one copy in stock, but then they say that they have no copies.

Thank you for contacting the eBay seller. As I presume that you do not need a duplicate copy yourself, I would be interested indeed if he still has it for sale.

Not that I an interested in France, you understand, I've been there only three times this year.

3 hours ago, Jo_ said:

I've sent Mike a PM with details of another one in Ireland, and also that it can be downloaded onto Kindle or similar.  

AbeBooks were offline all of yesterday.

WAKE UP MIKE!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

30 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've sent Mike a PM with details of another one in Ireland, and also that it can be downloaded onto Kindle or similar.  

AbeBooks were offline all of yesterday.

WAKE UP MIKE!

I am awake, and have received your P.M. and now seen this post, thank you. I have been out in P'bo exchanging a faulty Roberts Radio* for a pristine one as it was still under guarantee, just got home 10 minutes ago.

The arrival of a dividend cheque from B.T. today will fund this purchase!

*A FAULTY Roberts Radio? O tempora, o mores.

On 03/09/2017 at 10:16, Mac of Cygnet said:

On a recent visit to Barter Books in Alnwick, Northumberland (a must-visit if you're in the area - allow at least half a day, as it's no ordinary bookshop), I acquired a book as part of my barter called Two Canoe Gypsies, subtitled Being an Account of an Eight Hundred Mile Canal Voyage through Belgium, Brittany, Touraine, Gascony and Languedoc.  It was published in 1933.  I've only dipped into it so far (there are other bartered books ahead of it), but it seems a fascinating account of the European waterways between the wars, with some interesting pictures, which are 'Copyright National Geographic', the author, Melville Chater being a National Geographic photographer.  I reproduce just one of them here, but if anyone thinks that this will bring the wrath of National Geographic down on CWDF, please feel free to delete.   Has anyone else come across this book?

Canoe Gypsy.jpg

It is a truly lovely place to spend an afternoon or two

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Now that the celebrations of the birth of the world's most famous Jew are over, I've resumed my search for a series of out-of-print French railway books which I'm collecting. Upon finding one of the volumes on Abe Books' web site this morning, I typed in my order - only to find that Abe was trying to bill me for two books. I'd typed in the details of Two Canoe Gypsies in late 2017 but never got round to making the payment. It must be a slow seller because the copy in Ireland was still available (it looks as if Abe acts as a sort of broker or clearing house for various independent bookshops).

So, it has been captured and I look forward to reading it when arrives - which, according to Abe, will be in "4 - 6 bus days" - don't they use air or rail transport?

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Now that the celebrations of the birth of the world's most famous Jew are over, I've resumed my search for a series of out-of-print French railway books which I'm collecting. Upon finding one of the volumes on Abe Books' web site this morning, I typed in my order - only to find that Abe was trying to bill me for two books. I'd typed in the details of Two Canoe Gypsies in late 2017 but never got round to making the payment. It must be a slow seller because the copy in Ireland was still available (it looks as if Abe acts as a sort of broker or clearing house for various independent bookshops).

So, it has been captured and I look forward to reading it when arrives - which, according to Abe, will be in "4 - 6 bus days" - don't they use air or rail transport?

There's a copy for sale in Romania!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00085U8XQ/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1578662565&sr=1-2

2 hours ago, Athy said:

...and at that price it can darned well stay there!

Still not cheap though. Have you tried the local Library? Our local used to get in books from all over the county...I think they charge a £1 a book now. Maybe worth a try.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Still not cheap though. Have you tried the local Library? Our local used to get in books from all over the county...I think they charge a £1 a book now. Maybe worth a try.

As I mentioned earlier, I have now ordered a copy, so I don't need to seek one through the library system. Mine cost £19 + p&p.

I have, in the past, requested books from other library branches in whichever county I was living in at the time, and sometimes I was successful.

I reckon that £27 isn't too bad for an 80 + year old first edition in "very good plus" condition, like the one in your link.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

As I mentioned earlier, I have now ordered a copy, so I don't need to seek one through the library system. Mine cost £19 + p&p.

I have, in the past, requested books from other library branches in whichever county I was living in at the time, and sometimes I was successful.

Ah, missed that bit. Doh!

2 hours ago, Athy said:

...and at that price it can darned well stay there!

I got mine by barter, as I said, but it has a price of £20 inside if I'd not had any books to barter (Barter Books gave me a credit of £80 for a small pile of books I took in).

Just now, Mac of Cygnet said:

I got mine by barter, as I said, but it has a price of £20 inside if I'd not had any books to barter (Barter Books gave me a credit of £80 for a small pile of books I took in).

A further belated "Thank you", Mac, for bringing this book to my attention.

Mieux tard que jamais, as the French say (but only when they really mean "Better late than never").