Help needed on the Lancaster, bit of a long shot

jocave

Featured Posts

Myself and the wife are looking for some help up on the Lancaster ,as relative newbies to the canals we are hoping to take a trip down to Glasson dock, I have never worked a lock in my life so wondered if there was anybody up that way that could meet up with us and spend the day taking us down and back up either the same day or the following day, I would gladly cover any traveling costs and would also buy lunch and refreshments en route or down in Glasson, I have asked everyone in our marina and nobody seems to venture down there, my wife is disabled so I am pretty much single handed so a bit wary to try it on my own, bit of a long shot I know but if anyone is local or heading up that way anytime soon any help or advice would be most welcome , by the way its a viking 23  so not the usual nb if that makes any difference..

10 hours ago, jocave said:

Myself and the wife are looking for some help up on the Lancaster ,as relative newbies to the canals we are hoping to take a trip down to Glasson dock, I have never worked a lock in my life so wondered if there was anybody up that way that could meet up with us and spend the day taking us down and back up either the same day or the following day, I would gladly cover any traveling costs and would also buy lunch and refreshments en route or down in Glasson, I have asked everyone in our marina and nobody seems to venture down there, my wife is disabled so I am pretty much single handed so a bit wary to try it on my own, bit of a long shot I know but if anyone is local or heading up that way anytime soon any help or advice would be most welcome , by the way its a viking 23  so not the usual nb if that makes any difference..

I can help you with that. I'll send you a PM to discuss.

Sorry, cant help with your trip but remember doing this section last year in a hire boat.  The locks were particularly hard to operate, not only do they have a very awkward anti vandal lock and chain, but they were also very stiff - probably as few people use this arm.  However, I was glad we did it!

I'm glad to see rgreg has stepped forwards, and hope that it turns out he can help the OP.

Most requests on Crew Swap do end up being met in the end. Often by me, but not if the ratio of distance from Croydon to time spent boating is too high, as it clearly is here with one day in the far north.

This Glasson flight sounds like fun, hope you have the right key for the anti vandal locks to hand (BW key? Handcuff key?), and please tell us afterwards how it went.

Yep Richard has very kindly offered to help us out, very good of him to give up some of his spare time to assist and give us advice, I am going up to the boat on Wednesday to change all the ropes and replace a fender that we lost last time out, the bss is being done this week so then we will be ready to go, I will work around Richards free time so as not to inconvenience him too much, looking forward to it now, didn't think there would be anyone willing to help, so made up that someone has come forward and is willing to help out a couple of nervous lock virgins...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

You need a standard CRT key for the Glasson locks and every paddle has a windless welded on so you won't need one of your own. The heavy bits are the bottom gate paddles, everything else is ok. More boats are needed down this branch to chop up the weed a bit more. Nicholsons says you need to leave the locks empty but there were no signs saying this on the locks so we didn't bother. If you got some spare time stay awhile down at Glasson Dock, it's a lovely quiet spot.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you, if all goes well we will be regulars as its not too far from our home marina ,we just need the initial  instruction and a helping hand  to guide us through the first time, I wouldn't attempt this with out help from Richard as its all new to us and I really wouldn't want to put myself or my wife at any risk due to being new to locks, I know this may seem a big panic for no reason for most people but to us its a first and I would rather have the help of an experienced boater for our first time down there ,so laugh all you like but to us I would rather be safe and follow instruction from someone that  knows what they are doing rather than risk attempting it on our own ..

I wouldn't laugh at all, various terrible events can happen at locks if people do the wrong things, so having an experienced boater around to teach you when you're starting out makes a lot of sense. Fortunately the worst outcomes are very rare because the riskier an action is to life or property, the more common sense tells people not to do it! Basically, just get out there, learn how it's done and enjoy yourselves.

Glasson is wonderful. This was us there this May. The locks aren't really any more difficult than many others around the country. Just take your time.

We have been here quite a few times over the years. Maybe more should visit.

A good  cycle path on the old rail track is a good way to wander into Lancaster.

20170507_055334_001.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi Jocave,

I just come across your message regarding your trip on the Lancaster. I hope you managed to get to Glasson Dock safely and gained some experience in using the locks. You just to let you know, I can help with your narrowboating as well as I live in Morecambe and know Glasson Dock fairly well should you be unable to get anyone to help you. Best regards, Paul

2 hours ago, Quotator said:

Hi Jocave,

I just come across your message regarding your trip on the Lancaster. I hope you managed to get to Glasson Dock safely and gained some experience in using the locks. You just to let you know, I can help with your narrowboating as well as I live in Morecambe and know Glasson Dock fairly well should you be unable to get anyone to help you. Best regards, Paul

I would imagine the trip has been done by now.....

8 hours ago, Quotator said:

Hi Jocave,

Thanks rgreg kindly offered to help out but as he stated we have moved the boat down to Shropshire at the end of last year so its closer to home,,cheers anyway

• 5 years later...
On 25/05/2018 at 10:18, Quotator said:

Hi Jocave,

Hi Paul 

I know its a few years later just wondering if you are still in Morcambe?

I too have the same issue and need help I am moving a grp from Tewitfield to Manchester in hopefully beginning of spring. I have never done a lock before. My email is handy394 (at) gmail (dot) com if you or anyone can help. Obviously I would pay you for your time.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Hi Paul 

I know its a few years later just wondering if you are still in Morcambe?

I too have the same issue and need help I am moving a grp from Tewitfield to Manchester in hopefully beginning of spring. I have never done a lock before. My email is handy394 (at) gmail (dot) com if you or anyone can help. Obviously I would pay you for your time.

Thank you.

Are you aware you will need to use the Ribble Link and what that involves?

59 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Are you aware you will need to use the Ribble Link and what that involves?

Hi,

Yes I have seen many videos of what it involves. I am still doing my research on how to navigate that part of the journey so any tips would be much appreciated.

Hi

i live in Cumbria and may be able to help you learn how to use the locks safely and develop a single handed technique that works for you, presuming you intend to travel alone normally. This could be done on a trip down the Glasson Branch. You may also find other moorers at Tewitfield that you can get to know who would be happy to go out with you for a trip down to Glasson (20 miles and 6 locks each way) as I am fairly busy for the next 4 to 5 months. I would also suggest you spend a good bit of time cruising up and down the Lancaster canal to get a feel for how the boat handles and steers particularly in bad weather as you are going to be pretty committed once you get started on the Ribble Link.