Outboard not starting

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Maybe. Loosen the nylock nut a bit and see what happens :)

Indeed I shall. Once I locate a piece of wire to fish the washer back out of the engine. It's still in there. It's looking out and mocking me. Getting it out will be like brain surgery.

Top tip: when trying to fish out a dropped washer from inside your engine don't accidentally tap it. It'll fall further in.  :banghead:

I have to hope that it won't affect the engine as I've no way of getting it out short of dismantling the entire engine.

Time to get a replacement washer...  :blush:

Do you have a magnetic drain plug or a magnetic probe you can fish the washer out with, probe available from any motor factors or DIY store?

I would try every option to fish it out before I ran the engine, very high change the washer will cause a major engine, gearbox failure

Me, I couldn't live with that, but hey...

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Might be worth bodging someting up.Silicone tubing or the like duck taped to the vacuum.Don't tell ya misses though:)

I'll certainly give it a bash this coming weekend, but I dunno if the handheld doobrie I have will be powerful enough. No mains power where I am. Still, I'll give it a go. Worst case scenario is that I've got a handheld hoover stuck down my engine. I could clean the canal while I'm sailing!  :D

• Haha 1

If the Suzuki is of conventional design the washer will probably just sit on the top of the bottom end assembly inside the leg. There is normally only the dive shaft, water pump delivery tube and exhaust gasses in there. It may even go straight out of the exhaust.

Can you get the motor off, invert it and give it a good shake?

It's time for naaaaaaaame that boat part!

I'm trying to search for this part to make sure I'm hooking everything up right, but I've no idea what it's called:

IMG_20170909_130656_SuzDF15.jpg.fb21897d3361227930f75975b1b2a063.jpg

The control cable (which I'm in the middle of fixing) screws into a brass L-shaped piece (below the red dot). That L-piece goes onto a bolt (marked with the red dot). The bolt goes on to a piece that turns to indicate F/N/R.

I have a Suzuki DF9.9/DF15 service manual that I found online and I'll be damned if I can even see it in that!

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I can't make out exactly which bit you want to know about and in the big picture the brass part looks as if it might be broken but too small to be sure.

If its a Suzuki part I would call it a gear lever but goodness know what the Nips call it.

Yes, the control cable sheared off from the brass L-shape. It's just dangling down in the big photo.

I'm wondering what the rotating part is called that indicates F/N/R to the engine. It can be turned by hand (with the control cable off) and clunks back, middle, and forward.

I think you might be right with gear lever, it sounds right, but I'm not sure.

On 17/09/2017 at 16:24, Fender151 said:

I would try every option to fish it out before I ran the engine, very high change the washer will cause a major engine, gearbox failure.

I knew somone who left a pair of pliers in the sump of a Bolinder semi. That did make a bit of a noise, and took a chunk out of the piston skirt. But no other ill effects apparently!

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

I knew somone who left a pair of pliers in the sump of a Bolinder semi. That did make a bit of a noise, and took a chunk out of the piston skirt. But no other ill effects apparently!

A pair of PLIERS?! Holy Jesus. Even I wouldn't be daft enough to start an engine with pliers still in it!  :o

I am, however, daft enough to start it with a washer in it. But that'll be this coming weekends experience.

I think it might be the clutch: https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/bp_AP_AssemblyDetail.asp?ID=15027

fig019.jpg

It's a different angle from the photos, but #21 could be the silver star screw in the inset photo, the square bar (#4) would be through the square hole in #9. The bolt with the red dot in my photo wouldn't be in this diagram as mine uses a control cable instead of the handle in the diagram. Great. So that doesn't really help me with my control cable and L-shaped piece.  :glare:

*sigh* back to more Googling then...  :D

• 3 weeks later...

The outboard engine in question does, now, start. Even with a loose bolt in it.

Hell, even with a loose bolt myself I've managed to live 46 years! ;) :D

I've not managed to try my cable with the engine running. I want to wait and have someone hold the ropes while I'm testing F and R. I don't trust my knots enough yet to hold me while I'm trying it out.  :D

Once again, you guys save the day. BIG thanks to you all.

Just now, rasputin said:

I am a bit surprised at some folk suggesting a magnet, the washer is v likely to be stainless, a bit of something sticky on the end of a stick would have been better advice

I tried everything. The wire hook was first. Then some gaffa tape on a wire.

The magnet idea was thought of first, but I realised that the magnet wasn't sticking to other washers/spacers, so that was ditched before the prototype stage.

3 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I am a bit surprised at some folk suggesting a magnet, the washer is v likely to be stainless, a bit of something sticky on the end of a stick would have been better advice

Perhaps you could have suggested it earlier then:)

Just now, ronnietucker said:

I tried everything. The wire hook was first. Then some gaffa tape on a wire.

The magnet idea was thought of first, but I realised that the magnet wasn't sticking to other washers/spacers, so that was ditched before the prototype stage.

Did ya try the hoover?

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Depends what stainless, some are attracted to magnets. I used to know the terms for those that were and those that were not but as I had nno use for them they are foggotten.

bet it was non magnetic though