Dinette modification ideas

dm6045

Featured Posts

Hello all over the winter we are looking at modifying our current dinette so that it will be able to turn into a guest bed.

the trouble is we only have a "half dinette" as i call it effectively half a pullman or an l shape without the long bit so i wondered if anybody has or had one of these that could convert aparently they were a speciality of weltonfields who built our boat, and they did two types both aparently looked the same but only one could pull out to become a bed.  Ive tried to contact weltonfield several times but have had no response from them. Its frustrating as i remember seeing a coupleof boats with our type of dinnete when viewing that could convert but cant for the life of me remember how they did it.

my idea is that when it becomes a bed  we use the slanted backboard to come down and make the base at the head and make what is normally the base of the dinette base of slats that pull out between each other to become the next 2 sections however my O/H has the idea of making a removable frame that sits under the current seat and can be lifted out and used like a pullman with the table dropped between the 2. I hope thay made sense and if they did any comments? And as i say if anyone has one i would greatly appreciate a description or some pictures please

this is how it is currently.

image.jpeg

Thanks both NB LOLA we did look at something similar but we dont then have enough clearence between the end of it and our stove.

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Could you not obtain 2 shorter "Denso" legs, so that the table top can be set to the same height as the seat base? 

The padding for the back of the seat could then be placed on the lowered table top to form the mattress.

Yes that is one of the ideas but we still need something to go the other side of the table because just the table makes it 4' long. If it was a freestanding table it would be easy because then all we would have to do is use slats to make the seat base extendable to 4ft and have the table at the foot end but that would mean fitting more desmo fittings in the floor which we dont want to do (i trip on the ones we already have lets not make life more dificult lol)

I just wish i could get a response from weltonfield to find out how they did it although tbf they may not know now as aparantly it changed hands just after ours was built according to our surveyor and there style changed drastically when that happend.

Hi,

I am considering my options with regard to something similar. At the moment we don't even have a half pullman so I am starting from a lower baseline than yourself. 

One design I have looked at produced a cross bed. A  slatted frame pulled out forward from the seat base to make a four foot wide platform. The table top was used to bridge the gap between the side of the pullman seat and a ledge on the opposite gunwale wall. 

I suppose it will depend on how tall you are and whether that radiator is in the way.

Bear in mind that if you opt for an interlocking slats idea that the extra piece of board required to fill the gap can simply sit on the seat base when not in use. So the seat cushion becomes 12mm higher when the board is being stored there.