VDO hour counter V Durite, just as interest

sharpness

Featured Posts

Just out of interest, if anyone is interested.

Our hour counter in the tacho VDO type started playing up at about 1200 hours as it seems so many do. I decided to fit a Durite analogue one as back up so I would know when to service, oil change etc. I left it connected direct to the battery for several weeks to get it up to the hours shown on the VDO & got them to match.  The VDO sprang back into life today for some reason & now, 650 hours later they are only 4 hours apart. Seemed pretty good accuracy to me.

Steve 

4 hours ago, sharpness said:

Our hour counter in the tacho VDO type started playing up at about 1200 hours as it seems so many do. I decided to fit a Durite analogue one as back up so I would know when to service, oil change etc. I left it connected direct to the battery for several weeks to get it up to the hours shown on the VDO & got them to match.  The VDO sprang back into life today for some reason & now, 650 hours later they are only 4 hours apart. Seemed pretty good accuracy to me.

Steve 

I wouldn’t. If your clock/watch lost or gained 9-10 minutes a day would you call that pretty accurate!?

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

I wouldn’t. If your clock/watch lost or gained 9-10 minutes a day would you call that pretty accurate!?

True. Ive fitted a fair number of  analogue  hour meters to VDO equipped kit.  Durite are no better than Chiwanian knock offs for under £10 off Fleabay.

11 hours ago, sharpness said:

Steve 

I did exactly this a few years ago, after my Vetus Tacho stopped displaying a readable hour count most of the time.   About 1000 hours on now, and they differ by about ten hours when I do manage to read the tacho one.

This difference doesn't concern me,  who can say which is the right figure?  An hour count that is out by less than 1% is neither here nor there in the overall scale of things.

17 hours ago, Robbo said:

We're only talking about engine hour meters, not precision timepieces, never mind, less than 1% accurate is good enough for me, I thought it was interesting to be able to confirm it, never mind.

Steve

55 minutes ago, sharpness said:

We're only talking about engine hour meters, not precision timepieces, never mind, less than 1% accurate is good enough for me, I thought it was interesting to be able to confirm it, never mind.

Steve

A £2 Casio Watch is around 99.99% accurate. The accuracy may not be an issue at just over 0.6% but it isn’t particularly good as you said when we can cheaply have accuracy within a few seconds for a 24 hr period.

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

A £2 Casio Watch is around 99.99% accurate. The accuracy may not be an issue at just over 0.6% but it isn’t particularly good as you said when we can cheaply have accuracy within a few seconds for a 24 hr period.

OK, you win, the accuracy is crap, happy now?

To misquote the adverts:

"Casio don't make engine hour meters, but if they did, they would be the best in the world."

<1% is perfectly fine on an engine hours meter.

I'd be interested to know where you can get a Casio watch for £2.

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

But totally irrelevant. An engine with a service interval of 250 hours won't be damaged if the service is delayed to 252.4 hours.

Quite agree.

And who is to say which one is right?   Maybe the Durite was spot on and the original tacho one was out.

Not too sure how relevant/applicable this is to the accuracy question, but Gamebird has a VDO engine hour meter where the digits are "old style" numerals printed on wheels,as per most analogue hours meters. It displays hours and tenths of an hour, so each of the least significant figures is 6 minutes. The interesting thing is that parts of the 6 minutes remaining when the engine is stopped are discarded, and do not get added to the display, i.e. run engine for 5 minutes, switch off, run another five minutes and the hours counter will not advance at all. Similar behaviour on other meters could easily account for  a 0.6% error. (unless it's gaining, of course! :D)

Tractor meters record hours run at a certain rpm. The reading is calculated to meet the engines need for servicing i.e.run the machine hard and the meter runs faster. No idea if the meters fitted to boats work the same. When the liquid crystal display on our Isuzu failed,we fitted an analogue unit. The hours recorded matched our log.