Worth going to Ripon?

Neil2

Featured Posts

Who has been on up to to Ripon from York?  We're heading that way next week and just wondering what it's like - it's a long stretch of river to do if there isn't much of interest and unlike the dreary Severn it isn't a means to an end.  Any comments welcome. 

Definitely worth doing. The River Ouse is full of interest. About 4 hours to Linton Lock. Nic pub there and ample mooring (provided the river is not too high). Another 2 hours and you are at Boroughbridge which is certainly worth a visit. You are now on the River Ure, and only 2 hours away from Ripon. I think the river is very pretty on this stretch. New by Hall is a possible stop for a visit (but overnight mooring is not allowed here). Rip on ia very fine Yorkshire market town. Terminus is close to town centre. Don't miss the Hornblower ceremony. 

Did it several years ago. I would suggest thst if you turn back at York from Selby you are missing the best bits*. Good scenery, interesting history, Boroughbridge is worth a visit, and Ripon is worth at least an afternoon and evening if not more. 

*I actually started from York, so cheated a bit.