Walhalla II for sale

Ray T

Featured Posts

The boat is called Walhalla,  the original which I passed this week is Valhalla.

Both are unique designs, and I have no doubt the national press article will mean a swift sale in the present market. See it soon in Hackney.

Edited by matty40s

I like her, certainly gets looks,and folks talking.

the inside is beautiful, excellent joinery.

did I read it had one engine?

yet it shows twin engine controls at the helm.

i like it, got a big engine

why twin controls tho

col

We moored at Stockton Top 7 or 8 years back. 

A stealth grey boat called Valhalla moored there. Kate Boats then fitted out a new wide beam in stealth grey for its owners. It was named Valhalla II. 

Im sure I've not become dyslexic, or are there two similar widebeams separated by a V/W?

Got me thinking MHS

ive seen this boat, didn't take much notice of name back then, shape colour and style is what I focused on lol

Walhalla is the German form of Old Norse Valhöll, which is commonly anglicized as Valhalla. 

1 or 11  confused.com

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

The boat is called Walhalla,  the original which I passed this week is Valhalla.

Both are unique designs, and I have no doubt the national press article will mean a swift sale in the present market. See it soon in Hackney.

There are two, are there not? Both designed and commissioned by the same couple. One narrow, one wide. 

The original Walhalla is a narrow boat now owned by a lovely young couple of professional people. The let me breast up to them at Oxford for a couple of days a few years back.

The one for sale is Walhalla II, the widebeam version built after the sale of the original Walhalla. 

3 hours ago, MHS said:

We moored at Stockton Top 7 or 8 years back. 

A stealth grey boat called Valhalla moored there. Kate Boats then fitted out a new wide beam in stealth grey for its owners. It was named Valhalla II. 

Im sure I've not become dyslexic, or are there two similar widebeams separated by a V/W?

As I said above,  the original boat is Valhalla, the 2nd beast is Walhalla II

4 hours ago, bigcol said:

I like her, certainly gets looks,and folks talking.

the inside is beautiful, excellent joinery.

did I read it had one engine?

yet it shows twin engine controls at the helm.

i like it, got a big engine

why twin controls tho

col

It's a single engine with 2 hydraulic drives.

Also had a stern thruster 

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

As I said above,  the original boat is Valhalla, the 2nd beast is Walhalla II

You are correct it was registered as Walhalla, I wonder if the project name was Valhalla II? There was lots of talk about the boat as it was being built at Kate Boats.

Does anyone know what the Boat Inn  (adjacent to Stockton Top) is like these days?

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

You are correct it was registered as Walhalla, I wonder if the project name was Valhalla II? There was lots of talk about the boat as it was being built at Kate Boats.

Does anyone know what the Boat Inn  (adjacent to Stockton Top) is like these days?

Good - if you mean the one at the end of the moorings above the top lock

Richard

I met the owners of Walhalla 2 several years ago when I was moored in Staines and they turned up on that boat. I posted some pictures on the forum at the time as I'd never seen anything like it. I think it's a fantastic bit of kit designed by someone with some imagination. If my memory serves me correctly I think the worst that the naysayers could say about the functional design was that the cleats weren't sturdy enough for European waters. (Easily rectified if that really was an issue).

In contrast to other types of boater, there's definitely a significant proportion of narrow boaters who see anything out of the ordinary as somehow almost sacrilegious. This is ironic as it's actually narrow boats which are the quirky oddballs of the boating world. Aesthetically of course we all see things differently and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when you slag off someone's boat because it's different, just know that they probably think of yours as another boring pile of crap but they're just too polite to say it.

Anyway, I spent about an hour with them and they were a nice couple. I'm sorry they weren't able to fulfill their dream and I wish him a speedy recovery from his illness.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

In contrast to other types of boater, there's definitely a significant proportion of narrow boaters who see anything out of the ordinary as somehow almost sacrilegious. This is ironic as it's actually narrow boats which are the quirky oddballs of the boating world.

Actually I don't think building a narrow boat and calling it a narrow boat is half as quirky as building a wider boat along otherwise similar lines and then calling it a widebeam narrow boat.

I do appreciate that self contradictory term may be slightly on the decline now there are a lot more of them, but it certainly still seems to be widely used. (Apollo Duck certainly still has a "Widebeam" sub-section listed under "Narrow Boats".  What's that all about?

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually I don't think building a narrow boat and calling it a narrow boat is half as quirky as building a wider boat along otherwise similar lines and then calling it a widebeam narrow boat.

I do appreciate that self contradictory term may be slightly on the decline now there are a lot more of them, but it certainly still seems to be widely used. (Apollo Duck certainly still has a "Widebeam" sub-section listed under "Narrow Boats".  What's that all about?

That may be because the term "widebeam narrow boat" isn't actually correct - it's a paraphrase or verbal shorthand. They are correctly called narrow boat-style widebeams which isn't contradictory at all. 

However, I wasn't really talking about the grammatical correctness of boat terminology - that seems fairly irrelevant in terms of the quirkyness and oddity of the hull shape, and in that respect narrow boats win hands down.

Edited by blackrose

48 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That may be because the term "widebeam narrow boat" isn't actually correct - it's a paraphrase or verbal shorthand. They are correctly called narrow boat-style widebeams 

:D

Reminds me of that old Irish song with a title something like 'O'Flaherty's Mounted Foot'.