Bespoke mattress advice please

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Just over seven years ago we kicked out our four inch thick foam mattress and replaced it with a new sprung mattress that was made in two halves so that we could get it through the hatch. This pair of sprung mattresses have now reached the end of their comfortable life and we need to source a replacement. The sprung mattresses were supplied by The Marine Bedding Company (no longer trading) who advised us to have the join lengthways down the middle of the bed - this was probably a mistake because the springs closest to the centre line started to sag prematurely. We have also had a problem where, even though zipped together, the two halves tend to stretch apart and then one of us drops into the 'gap'. We chose sprung mattresses because of their ability to ventilate but we also have a 'Bedflex' base and are now seriously considering a return to foam because, it seems to us, it would be possible to have a foam mattress made in one piece - a decided advantage if it obviates the 'drop in the middle'!

All opinions are solicited! Prices quoted for a shaped single piece mattress range from about £500 for a reflex foam base with a memory foam topper to over £1,500 for 'Dunlopillo' latex. Our bed is an odd shape because it is fitted into the bow, (just behind the water tank) so it measures 210 CM long and 180 CM wide narrowing down to 120 CM at the head.

Any recommendations as to suppliers, foam thicknesses and types would be most welcome.

Edited by NB Alnwick

We bought our mattress from Edwardian last year. Its proper pocket sprung with a billion or so springs ten inches thick at least. 800 squid and is awesome. We went to their shop/workshop and they showed us how they hand make them to order. They will make you any size you want. They did ours and delivered it right down at Heyford for very small charge all within a week and its measurements are perfect and quality superb.

We have a Concept Deluxe 2000 memory foam mattress on the boat. It has been made into two sections,  each with its own "coolmax" cover. They come with a15 year guarantee. 

https://www.sleep123.co.uk/concept-deluxe-2000-memory-foam-mattress/

It proved to be so comfortable we bought one for home as well.

It is without doubt the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on, and unlike many memory foam mattresses isn't too soft, where you sink into it and then overheat.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We bought our mattress from Edwardian last year.

From our experience, you'll get at least 10 further years' comfortable kip on it. Ours was installed, after we wrestled it through the back doors (yes, they are quite thick) in 2006. Admittedly we don't live aboard so it's probably had about 40 to 50 nights' use per year.

I didn't mention (though I have done so on another thread) that it's split two-thirds/one-third, as we have a cross-bed, so it can be lifted to allow us to pass during the daytime. This reinforces Mr. Smelly's point that they will make bespoke shapes and configurations. I can't remember what ours cost but it wasn't cheap.

We could also.do with replacing our existing none matching none zip together sprung mattresses in the front cabin so I'm following thus closely. 

At home having assumed I would be buying a pocket sprung mattress and not being a fan of the feel of foam, I ended up with convention springs with a 1inch memory foam top for various reasons. It has some of the drawbacks if foam, hot in summer, retains smells more than some, but is also flat topped without and dimples etc and soft while also being springy.

I have often wondered for boats with split mattresses if you could then fit a single mattress topped over the top. Either foam or a more conventional filled mattress pad.

Daniel 

Enquiries have been made of the Edwardian Bedding Co. - we will be going for foam and the initial quote was for 'Reflex Foam' with a 'Memory Foam' top layer in the ratios of roughly 70/30. We have also asked about a latex foam top layer.

It is known that sprung mattresses have many advantages but for us, they have a big disadvantage that they would need to be split to facilitate access - and after our experience of sleeping on a split mattress for ten years (over 3,500 sleeps)* we understand that pitfall - literally!

*Our original foam mattress was also split down the centre and that also failed either side of the split.

Edited by NB Alnwick

17 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Graham, a bit of bespoke mattress advice: Try not to get one round your blades, they are a real pain to get off. ;)

11 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

That would be more of a nightmare than a comfortable night's sleep!

So when you dispose of the old one, remember to chuck it in the cut behind the boat

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

So when you dispose of the old one, remember to chuck it in the cut behind the boat

Richard

That wouldn't work we already spend too much time trying to go astern!

and, Jane didn't care for my suggestion of re-using bicycle inner tubes.

Edited by NB Alnwick

On 04/09/2017 at 17:56, bastion said:

Last month I got a gel foam mattress from Custom Made Beds, am very pleased with it. Free delivery next day.

I have been in touch with this firm - a very young company with a lot of success in just four years. The website can be found at:

Replacement Boat Mattresses

My initial reaction is that they offer better value for money than most competitors in the memory foam market and their CoolBlue brand appears to be just what we are looking for.

I will post again in this topic if we buy one and when we have tested same!

3 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

I have been in touch with this firm - a very young company with a lot of success in just four years. The website can be found at:

Replacement Boat Mattresses

My initial reaction is that they offer better value for money than most competitors in the memory foam market and their CoolBlue brand appears to be just what we are looking for.

I will post again in this topic if we buy one and when we have tested same!

Don't laugh but the only problem I had was my fitted sheets would not stay in place and in had to buy on eBay some bed suspenders!

We got our foam/memory foam combination mattresses (one on the boat and one in the lodge) from Comfort Solutions [www.mattress-solutions.co.uk]. And Coolmax covers for them because you do get hotter lying on them! We have a crossbed so did the split across the way so that it's under our legs but that only works with a crossbed of course. We also did the cut and the final fitting ourselves (on the factory shop's advice) using an electric carving knife! Worked a treat.

36 minutes ago, bastion said:

Don't laugh but the only problem I had was my fitted sheets would not stay in place and in had to buy on eBay some bed suspenders!

:lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

We recently purchased a mattress from sleepdetox bespoke, a medium firm coolmax mattress. heard good reviews about them so went with the recommendation. mattress came rolled up which was fab. We are having some great sleep on the boat. Were going back to them for the next mattress. prices vary depending on what your buying, the overall fit and feel is amazing.