Blocked Llangollen Canal at Shropshire Union Lock

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

If you mean the Hurleston locks, someone got stuck in the bottom pound Weds or Thurs I think, but it was fine yesterday when we came down although busy due to boats coming up going straight on the water points, one moored just in front of the bridge, and the crews of about six waiting boats just stood watching the lone lockie struggling to cope.

i get the email alerts from C&RT and heard nothing, would have been none the wiser if someone hadn't told me.

Edited by Hudds Lad

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

If you mean the Hurleston locks, someone got stuck in the bottom pound Weds or Thurs I think, but it was fine yesterday when we came down although busy due to boats coming up going straight on the water points, one moored just in front of the bridge, and the crews of about six waiting boats just stood watching the lone lockie struggling to cope.

Yep was Wednesday evening but we were 4th to arrive but fortunately only early next morning. I was only private boat so tried pulling and pushing but need stern gear needs replacing so far from max power.

Fortunately a boat 25% more hp and with far better power from the hull shape and through a bigger prop arrived and shunted them back in after 30-40 mins.

I was just amazed that no-one had commented given the route and the popularity of hires on that canal....just seemed a lot quieter on here as opposed to a month or so ago.

10 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I was just amazed that no-one had commented given the route and the popularity of hires on that canal....just seemed a lot quieter on here as opposed to a month or so ago.

It's probably the unseasonably good weather, everyone's outside rather than inside being grumpy on the Internet 

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Yep was Wednesday evening but we were 4th to arrive but fortunately only early next morning. I was only private boat so tried pulling and pushing but need stern gear needs replacing so far from max power.

Fortunately a boat 25% more hp and with far better power from the hull shape and through a bigger prop arrived and shunted them back in after 30-40 mins.

It happens fairly regularly,  so maybe those who knew just didn't think it worth a mention

Just like empty pounds, and brief overnight lock closures, these things are an everyday part of canal life and not really worth discussing. There is an increasing tendency for some folk to put a photo of every minor incident on facebook. Some even like to repost every CaRT stoppage notice on facebook. Would be sad if this forum went the same way.

A few years ago we went into a lock and put the front up against the bottom gate, as one does with a full length boat, and somebody came running out of the pub and took photos of "the boat that crashed into the lock". I expect these days it would be all over facebook.

..............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Just like empty pounds, and brief overnight lock closures, these things are an everyday part of canal life and not really worth discussing. There is an increasing tendency for some folk to put a photo of every minor incident on facebook. Some even like to repost every CaRT stoppage notice on facebook. Would be sad if this forum went the same way.

A few years ago we went into a lock and put the front up against the bottom gate, as one does with a full length boat, and somebody came running out of the pub and took photos of "the boat that crashed into the lock". I expect these days it would be all over facebook.

..............Dave

I find it hard to believe that a boat blocking the entrance to a canal system is an everyday occurrence, albeit for only 16-18hrs, I'd expect the narrowboat community to have more sense and knowledge of their boats than you're suggesting, and if this is what you consider a minor incident then I'll stay well away from your canals.

This one was a purchase of an older work boat and the first lock is deteriorating badly apparently so he chanced his luck on this one.

As for the boat up against a lock gate, I doubt too many would pay attention to a muppets tale about a crash given the situation as you describe it, there will always be muppets like them but seems strange they came running out of the pub to get a photo....they must have been destitute of ideas to entertain themselves.

Anyway, still seems far quieter on these pages than a couple of months ago, maybe certain types of people are winning the day, far too many rude and insulting comments on threads at end of July....I guess these types will always put off a large number of potential posters.

Time to enjoy the sunshine before tomorrow's rain....cheers all.

Hurlston locks are famous for stuck boats, Ive been stuck there. Even a small stucking can take an hour to sort out. 

Many owners don't know the exact size and shape of their boat, but the bigger issue is that nobody knows the size and shape of every lock on the system, its even said that Hurlston changes with the seasons. Bits of floating wood, or even a dead badger(!) can cause a boat to get stuck in an otherwise safe lock. Often the gates don't open fully due to silt or debris. A decision has to be made, if its a bit tight do I back off or push my way, or even enter at a little speed? Trouble is, if you make a bad decision you get really stuck. Its all part of the challenge and fun of boating. I reckon we have already had 9 or 10 not straightforward" lockings this year, and even the longest delay was still much more enjoyable than sitting in the traffic jam on the A34.

................Dave 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I find it hard to believe that a boat blocking the entrance to a canal system is an everyday occurrence, albeit for only 16-18hrs, I'd expect the narrowboat community to have more sense and knowledge of their boats than you're suggesting, and if this is what you consider a minor incident then I'll stay well away from your canals.

This one was a purchase of an older work boat and the first lock is deteriorating badly apparently so he chanced his luck on this one.

As for the boat up against a lock gate, I doubt too many would pay attention to a muppets tale about a crash given the situation as you describe it, there will always be muppets like them but seems strange they came running out of the pub to get a photo....they must have been destitute of ideas to entertain themselves.

Anyway, still seems far quieter on these pages than a couple of months ago, maybe certain types of people are winning the day, far too many rude and insulting comments on threads at end of July....I guess these types will always put off a large number of potential posters.

It happens a lot at Hurlston, not everday but often enough for people to not be shocked.

I used to wander down to avoid work now and again and I saw 3 or 4 boats stuck.

Once I was at the bottom lock and opened the gate for a chap coming up the Llan, he had his fenders down, I pointed this out and gestured to the signs saying "lift fenders or burn in eternal fire", his reply "meh" so I left him to it, can't fix stupid

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Once I was at the bottom lock and opened the gate for a chap coming up the Llan, he had his fenders down, I pointed this out and gestured to the signs saying "lift fenders or burn in eternal fire", his reply "meh" so I left him to it, can't fix stupid

I know Hurleston well, being moored quite close to the junction.  It's quite entertaining at times sittimg on the bench opposite the bottom lock.  I just don'r understand how so many people try and go into the bottom lock with fenders down, despite the clear signage (OK, so I don't understand why people cruise with fenders down in the first place).

It is not unusual for a boat to get stuck and take an hour or two to extract, so to many people it just isn't news, and if reported to C&RT, by the time they got a stoppage notice out the boat will probably have been cleared.

Edited by dor

9 minutes ago, dor said:

I know Hurleston well, being moored quite close to the junction.  It's quite entertaining at times sittimg on the bench opposite the bottom lock.  I just don'r understand how so many people try and go into the bottom lock with fenders down, despite the clear signage (OK, so I don't understand why people cruise with fenders down in the first place).

It is not unusual for a boat to get stuck and take an hour or two to extract, so to many people it just isn't news, and if reported to C&RT, by the time they got a stoppage notice out the boat will probably have been cleared.

Agreed, an excellent way to spend some time.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Hurlston locks are famous for stuck boats, Ive been stuck there. Even a small stucking can take an hour to sort out. 

Many owners don't know the exact size and shape of their boat, but the bigger issue is that nobody knows the size and shape of every lock on the system, its even said that Hurlston changes with the seasons. Bits of floating wood, or even a dead badger(!) can cause a boat to get stuck in an otherwise safe lock. Often the gates don't open fully due to silt or debris. A decision has to be made, if its a bit tight do I back off or push my way, or even enter at a little speed? Trouble is, if you make a bad decision you get really stuck. Its all part of the challenge and fun of boating. I reckon we have already had 9 or 10 not straightforward" lockings this year, and even the longest delay was still much more enjoyable than sitting in the traffic jam on the A34.

................Dave 

:D

59 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It happens a lot at Hurlston, not everday but often enough for people to not be shocked.

I used to wander down to avoid work now and again and I saw 3 or 4 boats stuck.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

There are boats getting stuck this year that have been up many times in the past.

I got a hire boat stuck in Hurleston many years ago as they had fixed side fenders and although I told them where we were going they didn't think to remove them. I had to take the bread knife to them to cut them off so I could get the boat out of the lock. They didn't seem concerned when I returned the boat with a pile of fenders and explained what I had done.

• 1 year later...

Not long before I get the kiddies on board and will heading through there....but long enough I hope (a week of two before we pass that way) ?

That was the last day of their first trip in 2017 on my boat when we met a old working boat stuck that someone had just bought. I tried to knock it back in but not enough oommph due to a fuel pump issue, luckily a more powerful boat was able to do the job.

Even @ 6' 10" it is a tight squeeze.....hope they don't close it off totally.

is the Anderton Lift open again yet?...had heard that it had issues a week or two ago.

....just realised the thread this is on ??

Edited by The Grumpy Triker

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just seen on Facebook there is a boat stuck at Hurlston again 

Well, if you put a garden shed on the front of your boat I'm not surprised.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just seen on Facebook there is a boat stuck at Hurlston again 

Can someone who knows how to work twitface or whatever please start a "just giving" page to raise the cash to fill in the lock with that monstrosity of a boat (which is clearly a disaster looking for somewhere to happen) still in there and build a new lock alongside it? :ninja:

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Can someone who knows how to work twitface or whatever please start a "just giving" page to raise the cash to fill in the lock with that monstrosity of a boat (which is clearly a disaster looking for somewhere to happen) still in there and build a new lock alongside it? :ninja:

I feel a cold chill down my back suddenly. Its most unlike me, I know, but I have some sympathy for the boat owner. 

Its probably all he/she can afford and its not his fault that the lock has shrunk and grabbed his boat.

It has obviously been able to get the hull into the lock, and most likely the whole boat through many locks without experiencing the problem he has encountered here, through no fault of his own.

Its unusual for comments on here to be so uncharitable, I'm quite shocked ladies and gents.

How would you feel if someone called your home afloat a monstrosity? We have seen far worse recently, huge fat boats that don't even fit in the canal nevermind the locks, containers on pontoons, sheds on oil drums.

So why the animosity against this poor boater? All he wanted to do was go to LLangollen along with lots of others and now he is being lambasted for having an individual boat fit out on a very ordinary correct size shell.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I feel a cold chill down my back suddenly. Its most unlike me, I know, but I have some sympathy for the boat owner. 

Its probably all he/she can afford and its not his fault that the lock has shrunk and grabbed his boat.

It has obviously been able to get the hull into the lock, and most likely the whole boat through many locks without experiencing the problem he has encountered here, through no fault of his own.

Its unusual for comments on here to be so uncharitable, I'm quite shocked ladies and gents.

How would you feel if someone called your home afloat a monstrosity? We have seen far worse recently, huge fat boats that don't even fit in the canal nevermind the locks, containers on pontoons, sheds on oil drums.

So why the animosity against this poor boater? All he wanted to do was go to LLangollen along with lots of others and now he is being lambasted for having an individual boat fit out on a very ordinary correct size shell.

Surely he is going downhill; I.e. away from Llangollen?