T-Mobile USB Modem

Shaggy

Featured Posts

Hi

Just signed up to t-mobile eb and walk and got the usb modem and not the pcmcia card (which constantly crashes my os). However the 'newer' USB modems do not appear to take an external aerial. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of t-mobile and whether they find they need an external aerial to get reception?

Thanks

Shaggy

Edited by Shaggy

Thanks for that, had wondered about usb extension and suppose I could put a plastic bag over the 'sensitive part' and put it on the roof - just wondered if people found that necessary in order to get 3g. Good to know the USB modem works well though

Thanks

Steve

After 1 week with the T-mob USB modem I have to say I'm still impressed, easy to set up, quick, good connection, varies between hsdpa and 3 g, but often lightning quick. and I'm in a "iffy" area according to their coverage, I'm also well down from the top of the bank with modem in window.

Well I'm impressed anyway !

Ian

I'm going to sound a bit thick here.....

I have T-Mobile Web & Walk & connect my Nokia mobile phone to my laptop via a USB port. Could I be doing this a better way? I have wondered about data cards & 3g but don't really know what they are!!

usb modem.... im actually using 1 to connect now - had all sorts of problems initially, program/connection wasnt stable and kept getting a modem reset message, went through 4 levels of t-mobile support and in fact still isnt resolved with my original laptop; bit the bullet 7-10days ago and got meself a spanking new laptop with winvista and havnt looked back since. connection speeds are almost as fast as a 2gig broadband connecton and if you use something like stardownloader to get larger files its not a problem.

:) im new to this site and wonder if anyone would know of any residential moorings available in the northants area - was told that the type of mooring im looking for are as hard to find as hens teeth; luckly havnt got a boat as yet but would like to soon.

best regards 2 1 n all

Anybody any experience of the above usb method - but using a Mac?

Let me know how you get on ... a friend has just now asked me to try and sort out his Mac connection and I'm feeling a little lost.

As for T-mobile/interweb connection - I'm using it at this very moment. T-mobile's Ts'n'Cs state that you can't use your phone as a modem, but pay 'em an extra 4 quid a month (over and above Web'n'Walk) and it's all OK. Speed's good too - at times it's nearly as fast as the domestic broadband (curtesy of BTinternet).

JOTW

As a mac user, I guess it will be as easy as letting the mac do it's own thing when it sees the new "Device", especially if you're up to date with the OS. The mac will tell you that it's connected, then all you have to do is enter the settings given to you by T..mobile, into your Mail Application and into the fields of the Internet Connect application.

I've just set up a USB modem for land line ADSL when my router went down, and it is a piece of cake

Let us know how you get on.

Oh, T..Mobile modem costs more than the vodafone modem but check on the speed and data transfer limits.

Edited by cyclic

[Greetings!

Just bought T Mobile web & walk with modem...great bit of kit. Went to shop and had a deal where they didn't charge for the modem on the 12 month contract....so worth asking!

I've a question...The system works using the phone number supplied and this has given me a problem when asked for a normal email address when I dont have one. (eg Canal World requests one.) Some documents/ forms for banking for example need one.

Have I missed something ...not too good with technology so can folks help me?

Having sold the house and moving on to the boat next wed. we will be giving up conventional email and I feel we may have a problem. I needed to get every thing up and running.

Regards

Steve and Lindy soon to be on Aqualine 'Liberty'

My brother in law has a T-Mobile USB unit on a Mac and I've had a go with it in the car (might be illegal to use a phone while driving but you're allowed to use a laptop :rolleyes: ). It works very nicely and seems good. (I wasn't driving).

Edited by magnetman

usb modem.... im actually using 1 to connect now - had all sorts of problems initially, program/connection wasnt stable and kept getting a modem reset message, went through 4 levels of t-mobile support and in fact still isnt resolved with my original laptop; bit the bullet 7-10days ago and got meself a spanking new laptop with winvista and havnt looked back since. connection speeds are almost as fast as a 2gig broadband connecton and if you use something like stardownloader to get larger files its not a problem.

:rolleyes: im new to this site and wonder if anyone would know of any residential moorings available in the northants area - was told that the type of mooring im looking for are as hard to find as hens teeth; luckly havnt got a boat as yet but would like to soon.

best regards 2 1 n all

I have t mobile web n walk.Phone is samsung sgh-z560.Works fine as a modem on my pc with XP,but just bought a laptop with Vista and it will not work-cannot find drivers.T mobile not much use say samsung working on problem re drivers.Anybody out there any ideas ?

I have t mobile web n walk.Phone is samsung sgh-z560.Works fine as a modem on my pc with XP,but just bought a laptop with Vista and it will not work-cannot find drivers.T mobile not much use say samsung working on problem re drivers.Anybody out there any ideas ?

I'm writing as a Mac user here, but have done a fair amount of research into mobiles as modems.

Are you able to say whether "Vista" works with any other of the Samsung phones. (i.e. on a mates)

If it does, then you should be able to "Force" Vista to use other drivers, and try out different ones that have a similar codec.

If Microsoft have taken away the ability of Windows users to think for themselves, then you might have to wait for Samsung to get the drivers out for that OS.

Is your phone connected to the PC with a USB cable? Try looking at forums like THIS

Phone Driver software is apparently not too hard to write, so you might find one that works for you

Search the web for info. There's miles of it out there, and you might get better info than just the few users of that phone (If any) on a canal forum.

I'm writing as a Mac user here, but have done a fair amount of research into mobiles as modems.

Are you able to say whether "Vista" works with any other of the Samsung phones. (i.e. on a mates)

If it does, then you should be able to "Force" Vista to use other drivers, and try out different ones that have a similar codec.

If Microsoft have taken away the ability of Windows users to think for themselves, then you might have to wait for Samsung to get the drivers out for that OS.

Is your phone connected to the PC with a USB cable? Try looking at forums like THIS

Phone Driver software is apparently not too hard to write, so you might find one that works for you

Search the web for info. There's miles of it out there, and you might get better info than just the few users of that phone (If any) on a canal forum.

Thanx Chris-yes I am connected via usb cable.You are right about the drivers I think,as t Mobile help desk said there were no "official" drivers released by samsung yet-obviosly as you say I might find one on the net.Trouble is I am a technophobe really so do not really know what I am doing !!-Do not know if vista works with any other samsungs-prob worth a quick e mail to them to ask the question