Dry Dock Rugby

Featured Posts

Hello, not a dry dock, however I just had a week at Yelvertoft on hard standing. Boat pulled out of water no crane. No problems working as late as you like, showers available on site, water point if you need it and really good pressure wash if wanted. No connection, just very happy customer. May be worth a call. Price was good.

This was a much better experience than dry docks that I have used in the past.

I think that Union Canal Carriers have one at Braunston opposite their hire base, is that the one you mean?

I would be chary of leaving a boat at Charity Dock, it might never come out again!

Tooley's at Banbury has one also, though that's a bit further away.

Yes there is one at Braunston bottom lock, and there's also a couple in the old Blue Line Marina arm.

Hillmorton is a fine dock and going to Charity Dock has the added advantage that on re floating you'd have the smartest craft there.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

I would be chary of leaving a boat at Charity Dock, it might never come out again!

I cannot  comment on the quality now, junk but not the figures included, the work/repairs back in the days of Joe & Jack Gilbert with top quality  work by Jess Owen made it one of the best docks, builders & repairers a lot of ex working craft owe the longevity to work carried out there Although I must admit the first time sight/impression was a bit off puttingas an aside Joe knew exactly what he had in the way of "junk" & it's exact location in the yard,the first time I was given directions to bring in a piece I was gobsmacked as it was exactly where he said it would be. Seemed to be a thing then that the more down beat the appearance of the yard the beter the quality of work turned out.Maybe all has changed.

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

I cannot  comment on the quality now, junk but not the figures included, the work/repairs back in the days of Joe & Jack Gilbert with top quality  work by Jess Owen made it one of the best docks, builders & repairers a lot of ex working craft owe the longevity to work carried out there Although I must admit the first time sight/impression was a bit off puttingas an aside Joe knew exactly what he had in the way of "junk" & it's exact location in the yard,the first time I was given directions to bring in a piece I was gobsmacked as it was exactly where he said it would be. Seemed to be a thing then that the more down beat the appearance of the yard the beter the quality of work turned out.Maybe all has changed.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek and based, as you inferred, on the chaotic appearance of the place. But I have heard a quite recent story which backs up your assertion of the underlying organisation:L I think it as someone on here requiring a part for a very old Lister and yes, they had one and quickly found it. 

6 hours ago, Athy said:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek and based, as you inferred, on the chaotic appearance of the place. But I have heard a quite recent story which backs up your assertion of the underlying organisation:L I think it as someone on here requiring a part for a very old Lister and yes, they had one and quickly found it. 

I'm not sure but think Pete the guy who runs it now is Joe's son who for reasons unknown if it is indeed him was always referred to by Joe or Jack as "Cripple or Crip" I dont know if she still is joe's daughter "Mel" was married to Ivor who used to own & run Dustbin pair"Mountbatten & Jellicoe." All my repair & other work on "Lily & later Crater" was carried out by Charity I have fond memories of the place & great respect for the work they did for me in the late 50's & through the 60's, the company at that time traded under the name of "Botranseng"

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the comments, it's hard standing they have at Clifton. I popped by a few weeks ago to the cafe and I've never heard so much F**ing and blinding, felt like cowboys had taken over from the old owners. Very negative atmosphere from management towards those mooring and working on boats. Power trip?? I think i'll keep looking for now. I didn't bother to enquire in the end. 

25 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I'm not sure but think Pete the guy who runs it now is Joe's son who for reasons unknown if it is indeed him was always referred to by Joe or Jack as "Cripple or Crip" I dont know if she still is joe's daughter "Mel" was married to Ivor who used to own & run Dustbin pair"Mountbatten & Jellicoe." All my repair & other work on "Lily & later Crater" was carried out by Charity I have fond memories of the place & great respect for the work they did for me in the late 50's & through the 60's, the company at that time traded under the name of "Botranseng"

One learns something new every day. I knew Ivor & Mel, at least well enough to say hello too, but never knew she was connected to the family who ran/ run C.D. They have sold Mountbatten and Jellicoe but as far as I'm aware they are still married.