Grand Union books

fittie

Featured Posts

I have a relatively recent reprint of the first one. Since it describes the 'new' locks to Birmingham, with pictures of them under construction and complete, including adverts from the contractors involved I guess it dates from shortly after the completion of the work i.e. mid/late 1930s.

10 minutes ago, fittie said:

What about the later one (I think it is later).

No idea - I'm unfamiliar with it, (unlike the "Arteries" one where I have the modern reprint).

I "Googled" for "Arteries" but I suggest your second offering really has no meaningful title that is easy to search for.

Arteries of commerce was reprinted as a limited edition with a certificate around about the time Blisworth tunnel re-opened.

My copy is not available at the moment for a closer look.

There was also a ribbom plate done for the same occasion.

From my understanding "Arteries of commerce" was produced prior to the British Industry Exhibition of 1934 where Grand Union exhibited, they had a large canal model built by Bassett Lowke of Northampton (who advertise in the book). A notable absentee in the advertisers is W J Yarwoods, almost every other firm associated with the modernisation has an advert.

2 hours ago, barry adams said:

Arteries of commerce was reprinted as a limited edition with a certificate around about the time Blisworth tunnel re-opened.

My copy is not available at the moment for a closer look.

There was also a ribbom plate done for the same occasion.

I don't have a certificate with my reprint, or anything to suggest it was a limited edition. Perhaps there was another print run.

22 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

A notable absentee in the advertisers is W J Yarwoods, almost every other firm associated with the modernisation has an advert.

A shame though that in the index, (in my copy at least!) they can't spell Harland and Wolff!

Arteries of Commerce.

Just found my copy.

it has a limited edition label loose inside which reads

The Waterways Museum

Stoke Bruerne

'ARTERIES OF COMMERCE'

a limited edition of 1000 reprinted from

the 1930's original, in hard covers

No.    23             

A soft back is also available

The 23 is hand written.

Looking through the George and Mary the is a picture of Baldock loaded with cars and in the second book is what looks like the same scene but from a different angle with the butty Lambourne. The would date the book as post July 1936. It's a start.

IMG_0731.jpg.4d026c873021d8589d54b18bade2c519.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

4 hours ago, barry adams said:

Arteries of Commerce.

Just found my copy.

it has a limited edition label loose inside which reads

The Waterways Museum

Stoke Bruerne

'ARTERIES OF COMMERCE'

a limited edition of 1000 reprinted from

the 1930's original, in hard covers

No.    23             

A soft back is also available

The 23 is hand written.

Mine is  the softback version and has no such label. But at the bottom of the last page it says "Reproduced for British Waterways Board, Waterways Museum, Stoke Bruerne, by Daneprint Ltd., Daventry."

And there is a £4.95 price label on the back, but I can't remember where or when I bought it.

No idea about Arteries of Commerce - I only have the softback reprint, but the GU Canal is one of a number published by Canal Companies.  I do not know how many, but I have the Leeds and Liverpool and the Aire and Calder as well as the GU.  I am in the middle of a shelf rearrange at the moment so cannot lay my hands on the Aire and Calder, but I have that catalogued as 1937.  One of the adverts in the GU one shows the Butty Tiverton, which was not built until early 37 according to the lists so the earliest date for that one has to be post February 37.

The L&LC one was published in 1936 (An A5 b&w reproduction is available from the L&LCSoc for £3 plus postage), with a guide to which company to use for general cargo carrying previously published in the 1920s. The A&CN had several guides published in the 20th century, and the Weaver also produced one, possibly post 2nd WW, IIRC. There are also the British Waterways guides for commercial transport published around 1958, that for the L&LC being the only one for a specific waterway, the others being for regions.