Tacking wires

Mohsen

Featured Posts

Morning Ladies & Gents

I'm tacking in much of the cables this week and have been setting up some pathways to run them, including some conduit and some 100mmx200mmx9mm ply glued to the spray foam to tack wires neatly at specific points. However, there are some runs into the ceiling and in certain areas where thats not possible and I simply have long stretches of spray foam, with no place to tack the wires.

I don't want to leave them loose behind the lining (when it eventually goes up), I have heard that some people use spray foam on top of the cabling to glue the cabling in place. I'm not sure this is a great idea, but maybe it is? Bits of duck tape did cross my mind as well :detective:

How do the pros do it ?

Cheers,

2 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Morning Ladies & Gents

I'm tacking in much of the cables this week and have been setting up some pathways to run them, including some conduit and some 100mmx200mmx9mm ply glued to the spray foam to tack wires neatly at specific points. However, there are some runs into the ceiling and in certain areas where thats not possible and I simply have long stretches of spray foam, with no place to tack the wires.

I don't want to leave them loose behind the lining (when it eventually goes up), I have heard that some people use spray foam on top of the cabling to glue the cabling in place. I'm not sure this is a great idea, but maybe it is? Bits of duck tape did cross my mind as well :detective:

How do the pros do it ?

Cheers,

Mine was in 20mm conduit.  You could use the oval stuff if depth is an issue?

Just now, Mohsen said:

Hi Robbo

Im referring to runs of cable that might only be 1x 1.5mm2 cable over a few meters. You'd have that in conduit? 

For the main run I would use conduit, for individual spurs from it I prob not, although a few meters I would.  Conduit gives you the option to easily add/replace cable, it's not really needed for any other purposes in this situation.

Personally, I would put them loosely in conduit or trunking, plus a few spares. That way you can easily add things that you forgot, and in the future can replace damaged cables by using the old one to pull in a new one as you pull the old one out (you tie the old one to the new one first, then pull).

Edited by cuthound
Phat Phingers
  • Greenie 1

Run a string through your conduit to pull the next wire through. If you do use it, tie another string to the new wire. You never know what size wire you will need to run in future, this covers all bases.

I found the easiest way was to use standard domestic rectangular trunking and 'lose' it behind the cladding, always remembering to leave a couple of 'pull-throughs' in said trunking for those leads you might (will) need later. Better still design in a panel (mine are in the ceiling) for all manner od 12, 24v Sat cables and whatever. Remove the panels one at a time later when you want to add - whatever - and be grateful....