Has it been a busy summer?

Philip

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Saw these on Facebook today. Hillmorton 

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

This beam has been broken now for something like 4 weeks. 30 years or so ago "Happy" Smith and the team from Hillmorton yard would have been out and at least made a temporary repair within half a day while waiting for a new one. ( New ones don't grow on trees....!)

14 minutes ago, archie57 said:

This beam has been broken now for something like 4 weeks. 30 years or so ago "Happy" Smith and the team from Hillmorton yard would have been out and at least made a temporary repair within half a day while waiting for a new one. ( New ones don't grow on trees....!)

I came through today and thought to myself that the likes of Joe Hogg, John Smith, John Henderson et al. would have made made sure it never got into that state in the first place. The amount of wear and play in the paddle gear is depressing too. Some of that paddle gear hasn't had any attention since Happy retired - and that was about 25 years ago.

6 boat queue at bottom of hillmorton today at 12.00, apparently had been 9 earlier, at least no verlockies to make it worse. Working locks showing signs of abuse and wear. Apparently holdup on new gates is waiting for poetic gibberish to be written by local 'talent', then they have to find someone to engrave it and have an opening party. 

18 hours ago, BGA said:

I think I would want to modify the question and ask "has it been Summer" :unsure:

Last year was reasonably decent...you can't expect two decent ones in a row! The notable things for me about this year have been the very hot June and the wet September, neither seem to have happened much in recent years.