Cleaning cratch cover

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

We have recently taken ownership of our first boat.

The cratch cover, although relatively new, is quite green. It looks like the boat has been moored underneath trees for a while. I have tried cleaning with soapy water and scrubbing. Whilst still wet, it looked quite good, but after drying, its still a bit grubby.

I was just curious what everyone else uses to clean the canvas?

Thanks

Bob

Algae Zapper from Kinver Canopies is the mutts. Spray it on walk away cleaning job done......... come back a couple of days later treat with Fabsil to reproof.......

Its so easy even I've done it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think I am going to give Fabsil Cleaner a go first followed by reproofing if all good. Its relatively inexpensive. Failing that I may invest in some Algae Zapper.

I was offered the use of a pressure washer, but was a bit worried about damaging the stitching.

22 hours ago, Loddon said:

Algae Zapper from Kinver Canopies is the mutts. Spray it on walk away cleaning job done......... come back a couple of days later treat with Fabsil to reproof.......

Its so easy even I've done it.

I've a very strong suspicion that this is "wet & forget" in another bottle....the application and colour/smell etc are very similar. 

The Fabsil cleaner did bugger all on my acrylic cover. 

The other good product is this

http://www.marineaglaze.com/canvas-canopy-cleaner.php

They also do a reproofer than contains silver to discourage green

http://www.marineaglaze.com/marine-aglaze-fabric-protector.php

1 hour ago, Big Bob W said:

I think I am going to give Fabsil Cleaner a go first followed by reproofing if all good. Its relatively inexpensive. Failing that I may invest in some Algae Zapper.

I was offered the use of a pressure washer, but was a bit worried about damaging the stitching.

Quite right. Never use a pressure washer on canvas hoods!

We use white vinegar mixed with water (1 part to 10 parts water). Use a soft brush to apply but brush fairly vigorously. In the 4 years we've had our boat we have found this is  the best solution and works better than the propriety brands that have been mentioned. 

You could try 'The Pink Stuff'. I've no idea what's in it, but it's 99% natural (so it says) and has been doing a grand job on the inside of my hood.

The photo (below) shows the clean patch achieved by just gently rubbing it with The Pink Stuff on a damp cloth. It's like magic!

IMG_20170910_134547_TPS.jpg.80a3a51c22841fa0738dfc0e0d062b5e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Renovo is a great product. Requires patience to soak, wash, dry and reproof. I wouldnt rush canopy cleaning. I also would never powerwash the stitching. Some stitching is used with weak thread and once it goes green can literally break in two. Becomes like walkers crisps

On 31/08/2017 at 18:13, Big Bob W said:

A local cover maker told me only this week that they use clean tea cloths and Fabsil for cleaning.  Use of pressure washers and brushes (washing up, nail etc.) are not recommended as they do damage the stitching.  As everyone else has suggested, proofing has to follow cleaning.