Winkwell Bridge closed - GU

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

Being a swingbridge, this bridge is always "down", but I know what they mean ..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Following a vehicle collision with the barrier on Bridge 147, Winkwell Swingbridge, the bridge cannot be operated

The bridge will remain in the down position until further notice

Navigation closed

Notice will be updated when further information becomes available

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11459/bridge-147-winkwell-swingbridge-winkwell-grand-union-canal

I think I meant that this bridge is always down, except when it is lifted up by a crane to be replaced. In normal operation it is either open (to boat traffic, ie closed to road traffic), or vice versa.

Lots of odd things can be up or down, eg my broadband connection, my mood, my pecker.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

How does a vehicle hit the barrier? Does anyone know what happened? It's not like its a fast road or poor visibility there...

It isn't,  but lots of cars race through there and I have been lowering barriers when a car has tried to jump it and had to emergency stop.

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So if a car has damaged the barrier why is the canal closed to boat traffic? It should be left open for boats.  The detour may be inconvenient for road users, but its a hell of a lot shorter than the alternative for boaters!

Bugger that, the detour is down our road it would make leaving the moorings a right royal PITA!

23 hours ago, Loddon said:

Winkwell swing bridge does lift!

It lifts 2"  before it swings.

So it is down :P

Fair point.  On the other hand the bridge at Limehouse drops a couple of inches before it swings, as the wedges (that take the weight of the traffic going over the bridge) are removed.