Still looking!

Tawny75

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Can a bow locker water tank really hold 300 gallons?

Yes, that about how much the Ownerships boats claimed to have, and judging by how long it took to fill a completly empty tank I have no reason to disbelieve them.  

Stern deck is not self draining, - external steps down into cabin.  Where does the surface water go and how do you get rid of it?  

What is that funny scoop thing on the port side of the cockpit - is it some sort of air intake?

2 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Ooooh we have found and seen one we really really like. It ticks mosy of our boxes and just feels right. 

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3218web/3218mobile.php?BoatID=3218

Are you happy with the electrical specification?  There are lots of references to 240v (11 sockets) but there is no mention of a generator or inverter capable of powering them (the 750W inverter included will not be sufficient to run the washing machine, heater or immersion).  If you are planning on having a landline attached the majority of the time then this is not an issue.  This appears to be a marina live aboard kind of boat.  Is that what you are after?

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Stern deck is not self draining, - external steps down into cabin.  Where does the surface water go and how do you get rid of it?  

Deleted. Thought it was a trad and it is a semi trad :-) . 

haggis

Edited by haggis

19 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Ooooh we have found and seen one we really really like. It ticks mosy of our boxes and just feels right. 

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3218web/3218mobile.php?BoatID=3218

Did Mike Heywood ever fit out shells he built?  Happy to be corrected, but I thought he only did steelwork for others to fit out.  Are you sure it is not actually a self fit out?

I agree with comment about being a boat for a static marina dweller on a land line.  As well as the washing machine, immersion and cabin heater already mentioned, will a 750W inverter even power that 230V fridge?

We sold a 20 year old 50 foot Mike Heywood boat 3 years ago for £30K.  This one is shorter and 26 years old, for similar money, so, unlike Mike, I can't see it as a good deal, (though I realise prices have gone up in the last 3 years).

Thank you again for all the comments. We really do appreciate them.

The washing machine will be the first thing we will be removing from the boat if we are succesful, so the inverter will not be an issue for that. We are not intending to live on the boat, it will be used for weekends and holidays so there will be no need for it. The same goes for the radiator that plugs in half way down the boat. I will be more than happy with the stove for heat. 

As for the fridge, again it is something we will have to check, but we do have a 12v/gas/electric fridge we can use in our camping equipment. 

We have put an offer in so we will go from there. 

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Did Mike Heywood ever fit out shells he built?  Happy to be corrected, but I thought he only did steelwork for others to fit out.  Are you sure it is not actually a self fit out?

I agree with comment about being a boat for a static marina dweller on a land line.  As well as the washing machine, immersion and cabin heater already mentioned, will a 750W inverter even power that 230V fridge?

We sold a 20 year old 50 foot Mike Heywood boat 3 years ago for £30K.  This one is shorter and 26 years old, for similar money, so, unlike Mike, I can't see it as a good deal, (though I realise prices have gone up in the last 3 years).

The market of three years ago doesn't exist anymore. That's the problem for someone wanting to buy a boat now.

For a £30k ish budget I think overall this boat stands out in it's basic fabric and condition compared to what else has been available recently. However it hasn't sold as quickly as most boats have this past year. The reason for that may well be the features highlighted above but if they aren't critical to the intended usage of the purchaser then in a way that may actually be their good luck.

The survey will confirm one way or the other in terms of fabric and condition but it's a lower priced boat sold by ABNB and there aren't many of those. I suspect the ones they do sell are good 'uns.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

15 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

As for the fridge, again it is something we will have to check, but we do have a 12v/gas/electric fridge we can use in our camping equipment.

These can realistically only be run on gas, unless connected to a landline.  The 240V or 12V options being too "thirsty" for cruising use.

Although I am a huge fan of LPG fridges, you might find it difficult to find a professional prepared to install one in a narrow boat for you, being a non room sealed device.

(If you feel competent to do your own gas installation, no problem of course).

Anyway, good luck with your offer and purchase - always an exiting time!

1 hour ago, Tawny75 said:

It might be simpler/cheaper to fit a bigger inverter. 

3 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Is this something perhaps we could do or would it take an expert?

That’s the second time this question has been asked this week. It’s not at all difficult but it’s one of those jobs where if you have to ask then you probably need to get someone to do it for you. 

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s the second time this question has been asked this week. It’s not at all difficult but it’s one of those jobs where if you have to ask then you probably need to get someone to do it for you. 

If in doubt, get someone in!  My mantra :)

"Confused" here - Alan F commented on three way fridges but the listing states that the boat is fitted with an Hotpoint 4 cu: ft: AFAIK they never made a gas model (?) so it may be a case of RTFL (variant on RTFM...). It's possible - but only possible - that the inverter could run the fridge. It all depends on who made / sold the inverter. It's on the cusp of what's possible and depends on the design. Some of the older models had a good amount of reserve power for peak overloads. It's the start up power for some milliseconds which causes the problem. I did some testing of an Epever unit from Bimble earlier and it started an aged twin compressor full height FF with no problems. As well as starting the unit the inverter didn't even get warm. Most impressed. They do a 12v model for around £150.

A simpler answer is - would it be possible to have the existing inverter tested in situ . The listing also has an "800w microwave"  which I suggest that the existing inverter would not run. It would be helpful if you could find out the make and description of the existing unit. 750w is an unusual size....    

52 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

"Confused" here - Alan F commented on three way fridges but the listing states that the boat is fitted with an Hotpoint 4 cu: ft: AFAIK they never made a gas model (?) so it may be a case of RTFL (variant on RTFM...).

Alternatively perhaps you are just too easily confused......

Read this post......

3 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

The market of three years ago doesn't exist anymore. That's the problem for someone wanting to buy a boat now.

For a £30k ish budget I think overall this boat stands out in it's basic fabric and condition compared to what else has been available recently. However it hasn't sold as quickly as most boats have this past year. The reason for that may well be the features highlighted above but if they aren't critical to the intended usage of the purchaser then in a way that may actually be their good luck.

The survey will confirm one way or the other in terms of fabric and condition but it's a lower priced boat sold by ABNB and there aren't many of those. I suspect the ones they do sell are good 'uns.

JP

I suspect ABNB don't attract many owners of lower priced boats because of the detailed marketing information, a lot of cheaper boats wouldn't stand up to the close examination.  But they do get lemons, I recall making enquiries about one of their boats some years ago that was ridiculously cheap for what it appeared to be.  Turns out it had been originally marketed at a vastly higher price and it turned out to be a bit of a colander when a potential buyer had it surveyed.

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I suspect ABNB don't attract many owners of lower priced boats because of the detailed marketing information, a lot of cheaper boats wouldn't stand up to the close examination.  But they do get lemons, I recall making enquiries about one of their boats some years ago that was ridiculously cheap for what it appeared to be.  Turns out it had been originally marketed at a vastly higher price and it turned out to be a bit of a colander when a potential buyer had it surveyed.

So that particular lemon ended up being realistically priced then?

The boat in question here can't be ridiculously cheap for what it is, so if it stands up to close examination it should be fine.

JP

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

So that particular lemon ended up being realistically priced then?

The boat in question here can't be ridiculously cheap for what it is, so if it stands up to close examination it should be fine.

JP

Just to clarify, what I meant was the detail ABNB go into when they market their boats would actually put a lot of cheaper boats in a poor light.  Compare the download you get with ABNB with some other broker where all you get is a couple of photos and a basic description.  That makes it a lot harder for a novice buyer to ascertain the difference between two boats at the same price.  With ABNB it's very easy to make a comparison without asking a lot of questions or actually going to view the boats.  Considering ABNB charge pretty much the same commission as other brokers it surprises me the "opposition" get away with it.  I'm not on the payroll or related to anyone at ABNB by the way...

In today's market the only boats that don't sell quickly are either badly marketed or overpriced.  As regards this specific boat, if as you say it hasn't sold as quickly as other boats then that suggests it is overpriced.     

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Just to clarify, what I meant was the detail ABNB go into when they market their boats would actually put a lot of cheaper boats in a poor light.  Compare the download you get with ABNB with some other broker where all you get is a couple of photos and a basic description.  That makes it a lot harder for a novice buyer to ascertain the difference between two boats at the same price.  With ABNB it's very easy to make a comparison without asking a lot of questions or actually going to view the boats.  Considering ABNB charge pretty much the same commission as other brokers it surprises me the "opposition" get away with it.  I'm not on the payroll or related to anyone at ABNB by the way...

In today's market the only boats that don't sell quickly are either badly marketed or overpriced.  As regards this specific boat, if as you say it hasn't sold as quickly as other boats then that suggests it is overpriced.     

I would say that the fit out won't be to everybodies taste.

I am actually amazed at how much that boat is up for given the fit out which doesn't exactly stand out as anything special. If that is what you get for £30k in the narrowboat market then the boats we are looking at look to be a bargain!

10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I think we are broadly in agreement on this.

ABNB is perhaps not the place folk look for cheap liveaboards and this isn't a non-marina liveaboard configured boat. That's a lot of what's driving the market. The other thing is probably floating retirement cottage demand. It's not one of those either. If it's overpriced I would be interested to see anything better in that price range that has sold this year. I don't recall any.

Just looks like a decent honest small boat to me and more importantly meets the prospective purchasers original spec. Just needs the survey to confirm that.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Another question on this, if we were to require a more powerful inverter (we are slightly worried about the fridge going off overnight) does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to source one and have it fitted?

Another question on this, if we were to require a more powerful inverter (we are slightly worried about the fridge going off overnight) does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to source one and have it fitted?

A bigger inverter won't stop the fridge going off overnight!

There are inverters and there are inverters. A bit like cars they all do the job but.................Mastervolt are the best followed by victron then come all the rest. The fitting cost should not be much as you already have an inverter fitted however going bigger on the output may well mean going bigger on the electric string from the inverter to the battery bank but as you already know boating aint cheap is it.