Still looking!

Tawny75

Featured Posts

Well hello again.

We have had 3 weeks of A Level results, sorting university and accommodation, daughter having an operation and also Guide Camp so our boat searching hit the back burner for a while.  We have noticed that as the end of the summer is approaching, there seems to be more and more boats becoming available so the looking is starting again.

Can I have thoughts on this one which we quite like? http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=533730

This is a Chinese boat. It looks quite cosy and appears to use the space well. I hope that the front steps have some form of fireproofing as the stove is very close to them. Apart from that, my main concern would be the walk-through bathroom. This means that if one person is having a pony, the other can't walk from one end of the boat to the other without going outside. This might not, however, bother some people.

The engine has very low hours, which is good. Although the advert mentions only a new gearbox, surely the engine must have been replaced too, as I can't imagine a live-aboard boat running the engine for only 110 hours in eight years.

There have been reports of the interior woodwork, which i think is usually bamboo, warping out of shape after a while so that the doors won't close, but there's no sign of that in the photos. The price looks sensible, so go and have a look at her.

We had a 44 foot East West boat for five years - it was well put together and we had no issues during our ownership. We did not suffer any of the bamboo warping that some have reported - indeed the interior was very hard wearing and looked new when we sold the boat. 

Having looked at the pics it seems that most of the cupboard doors have been replaced from the original bamboo.

Worth a look i would think - as Athy has mentioned just check the engine/gearbox situation in relation to replacement and the hours reported for them.

Edited by CV32
Observations added
  • Happy 1

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Remember that they need you more than you need them - other boats are available! To be fair, they may be away on business or holiday.

I remember when pocket calculators first came out. I was about 17, doing A level maths, and we were all clamouring to buy calculators with our pocket money, or Saturday job money.

I'll never forget the maths teacher advising that, "You can always turn your money into calculator, but you will find it very hard to turn your calculator back into money!"

I recall it quite often, particularly when I feel like I need to buy something quickly, for fear of missing out.

On 30/08/2017 at 11:22, Athy said:

This means that if one person is having a pony, the other can't walk from one end of the boat to the other without going outside.

Our bathroom is not walk-through but, if I am having a pony, nobody in their right mind would want to walk from one end of the boat to the other... In fact, if they have any sense, they would get outside fast, and give it half an hour :(

• 5 weeks later...

So, we went to see two boats this weekend, one was a private sale and just needed too much work doing.  Gas pipes, boilers, shower all not working and hadn't for years and I know it sounds stupid but it had a really high bed and I am only 5'2".

The other one was really really nice but by the time we got there it had an offer in on it.  However we spent the afternoon looking at Braunston Marina Brokerage and they have some lovely boats all presented really nicely.

We have decided to head further north to look too and I have seen this one at Norbury Wharf.  Any thoughts please?

http://www.norburywharfltd.co.uk/_webedit/uploaded-files/All Files/Corvedale 10410.pdf

John White was a respected builder of shells towards the budget end of the market.

The only obvious essential missing is a multfuel stove. However there appears to be sufficient space in the saloon, so check that there actually is enough room without installing it in front of a window and budget £1500 to have one fitted.

• Greenie 1

Hi, presuming it is as tidy when seen in the flesh as it looks in the photographs I would say it looks pretty reasonably priced. Personally i would see a solid fuel stove as an essential item so worth investigating the practicalities and cost of having one fitted.

Yes ok so long as you only use it in June/July but in the colder months you will almost certainly want the heat only a good multi fuel stove can provide.  Also what happens if/when the diesel boiler conks out.  I wouldn't underestimate the total cost of having a SF stove installed, £1500 is at the bottom end I would say. 

Other than that there's not much to comment on is there.  It just illustrates how little effort brokers have to put in to sell a boat these days.

• Greenie 1

Looks good, Check how you remove the cassette from the Thetford, some have a small door in the bulkead, other need the who;e unit to swivel away from the wall.

Diesel heating, not sure which system but see if it's fed from it's own dedicated tank, they do provide plenty of heat and hot water and NO ash or dust..

M

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, cuthound said:

John White was a respected builder of shells towards the budget end of the market.

The only obvious essential missing is a multfuel stove. However there appears to be sufficient space in the saloon, so check that there actually is enough room without installing it in front of a window and budget £1500 to have one fitted.

Bloody hell, where can you get a stove fitted including construction of the hearth and flue for £1,500?!

I was given an estimate of £1250 about 4 yesrs ago to fit a stove to a boat which I was thinking of buying, which like the OP's didn't have one, so I have added a little for inflation. 

However that boat had other issues which put me off buying it.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was given an estimate of £1250 about 4 yesrs ago to fit a stove to a boat which I was thinking of buying, which like the OP's didn't have one, so I have added a little for inflation. 

However that boat had other issues which put me off buying it.

Ah an estimate.

I predict the final bill would have come in at £1750, once they had actually done the work. ALL of it! 

Mind you, I suppose £1500 is perhaps possible if it turns out to be a really easy fit, andusing a bargain basement stove like a Boatman,

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah an estimate.

I predict the final bill would have come in at £1750, once they had actually done the work. ALL of it! 

I guess we will never know, coz the boat i eventually bought already had a stove fitted.

Surely there must be someone on the forum who has actually had a stove installed recently who can give a more accurate price?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I guess we will never know, coz the boat i eventually bought already had a stove fitted.

Surely there must be someone on the forum who has actually had a stove installed recently who can give a more accurate price?

I reckon most people fit their own. I certainly do/did.

We paid £2000 last year, that included removal of the old stove, hearth and surround and then fitting new hearth and tiled surround to have a more suitable installation with sufficient air gaps and heat protection. We also had a new flue and collar so that the chimney now sits straight and a long and short custom made chimneys. The fire was purchased separately to this so add the cost of chosen stove on top.

18 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We paid £2000 last year, that included removal of the old stove, hearth and surround and then fitting new hearth and tiled surround to have a more suitable installation with sufficient air gaps and heat protection. We also had a new flue and collar so that the chimney now sits straight and a long and short custom made chimneys. The fire was purchased separately to this so add the cost of chosen stove on top.

Kinell..............Ive always said this boating lark is soooooooooooooo cheap

• Greenie 1