Another Summer Cruise

Rob-M

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

You should be coming past us today thene. I'll keep a look out and try to give you a wave. 

Got an appointment at the fracture clinic this morning though,  so may miss you. 

Gone past already, didn't see anyone. We are now the other side of Fazeley.

Mrs-M rather liked your garden.

Yes only got back from the fracture clinic around 10:30, so must have missed you.

Thank Mrs M for her kind comments. Mrs Hound is responsible for the garden,  I'm only allowed to cut grass and dig holes to her instructions  (leg permitting).

Back in Fradley Junction today. Can tell we are now in September as plenty of spaces on the visitor moorings. The volunteer lock keeper on junction lock said he would get the gate and leave the paddles to us as I was reversing down the lock and he wanted to be sure they were done how I wanted them doing.

Having looked at the weather forecast I started the day with full waterproofs on ready for the torrential rain that was meant to happen but we didn't see it.

We had a brief spell of torrential, or at least very heavy, rain in Braunston this afternoon. I´d been for a 2 mile walk and just got back to the boat before it started.

I also noticed plenty of mooring spaces this morning, e.g. only 2 boats moored outside Dunchurch Pools - though maybe the construction noise puts people off at the moment.

Nearly back to base so taking it easy and did just a couple of hours today from Fradley to Handsacre. Had a scare when nearly fell in with boat reversing towards me (See other thread for details)

Stopped in Handsacre to get fish and chips from Michael's Chip Shop.

Safely back home now having completed the Leicester Ring including the Market Harborough branch and the Welford Branch. All in it was 195 miles and 115 locks and we managed to stretch it out over 16 days.

Refuelled both ways at Taft bridge and used a total of 130 litres of diesel, this included a bit of use of the Eberspacher and 100 hours of engine running.

High Lights of the trip...

Volunteer lockies at Fradley and Atherstone were very pleasant

Volunteer lockies at Foxton let us get on with it

Travelling with Pavo for four days was great company and worked locks efficiently

Market Harborough very nice

Food in the Wharf Inn, Welford and the Greyhound, Sutton Stop was very nice

Showboating going round Sutton Stop in one in front of those sat outside the Greyhound. Plenty of unnecessary revs to make a big wash

Kingfisher sightings

The Leicester Ring was far more pleasant than we expected, no scrotes and very little rubbish, mainly cut weed in Leicester

Meeting a few forum members

Low Lights...

Volunteer lockies at Stenson, should have shoved him in the cut after he accessed Mrs-M of not being able to count as she did 7 clicks on the gate paddle not the 6 he had told her to do. She told him he was patronising after he went on and on about how to do a paddle.

Not one volunteer lockie actually asked if we wanted their help before they started operating paddles

My near miss incident

Forum boats spotted

Kelpie (twice)

Suzie-Q (with two tone paint)

Tyto Alto

Ex boat of forum member Diesel and Dust

Paneke

Lily Rose

Delta Queen

Willpower (according to Mrs-M)

Badger

Chertsey

Hawksmoor (not sure whether it was forum members onboard)

Nuneaton and Brighton

Apologies if I have missed anyone else we may have passed.