Tug of War and other antics

Featured Posts

Continuing my look back at the antics of my Grandfather, founder chairman of the HNBC, Binkie Bush, I can't verify any of the tug of war contests with Pisces or Lily, but this comment from in his logbook from the 1967 IWA rallly at Leicester stood out:

Tuesday August 1st 1967: It is nice to be under way again.  The last day of the Rally to me always seems too long and last night’s dinner was laughably awful and decidedly not worth waiting for other than to collect the Lionel Munk Trophy which was exciting to get.  The caterers really ought to get letters of complaint as they were pathetic.  They ran out of glasses, wine, cheese, biscuits and instead or drinking the royal toast, Steve Cawson stood rigidly to attention with his arms at his side with the defiance of a hunger marcher saying ‘Bugger the Queen, we want biscuits!’

Earlier that year...

Saturday April 1st 1967: We lunched at Church Lock where ‘Pisces’ passed us and then we re-passed her while they stopped for lunch. A pair of boats (Buxton and Aca(?)) held us up for a few minutes at the bottom of Ivinghoe Lock but left all the remainder to Marsworth in our favour. We arrived at Marsworth dead on our T.T.A. at 4 o’clock and Bob and I went to ‘Adelaide’ for tea and Mum joined us soon afterwards. Pisces passed us and we followed through the locks to Bulbourne as Bob wants to explore the Wendover arm in his dinghy.  Pisces couldn’t wait to lock through with us but left some of his hands behind to set the locks for us.  He is a nice person.

Thanks to my mother for transcribing the logs.

In 1967 the Wendover arm must have been very shallow. I recall 'discovering' it in the early seventies around New Mill, and was surprised to be able to see the bottom from the bridge. Clear water, but barely 2' deep. Was that Steve Cawson Sue's Dad I wonder? Boating with RENOWN?

Sue ran RENOWN for a long time. I remember being treated to a lovely Chilliconcarn in the cabin after a hard days boating single handed, heading for a Christmas gathering sometime in the early/mid eighties. Sue runs THEA now, and is navigation officer for the NBOC. But you may already know that. 

16 hours ago, Derek R. said:

In 1967 the Wendover arm must have been very shallow. I recall 'discovering' it in the early seventies around New Mill, and was surprised to be able to see the bottom from the bridge. Clear water, but barely 2' deep. Was that Steve Cawson Sue's Dad I wonder? Boating with RENOWN?

I don't know the relationship between the Cawson family of the 60's & Sue Cawson at that time the boats "Seal "& "Renown" always traveled together

This post brought back some good memories well remember Binkie. 

With regard to tug of war these were a usual feature of early rallies. Had a good one at the Lym rally between the Jaguar and Dart. The jag was loaded and had an HA2 and the engine had full revs before being put into gear, nick went into the engine hole and put his foot against the governer and we held them until they got full revs on then we went backwards. Dart had a gardener bus engine and big prop. Prize barrel of beer and they were non drinkers!!

happy days even if soaking wet.

You possibly wouldn't find a reference in your GD"s diary to the tugs of war against "Lily"  & "Pisces" the reason your GD thought his Bolinder 1053 was the ultimate  in marine power plants & as most ex working craft were fitted with an assortment of pretty worn power units he usually won the day, but "Pisces Turner" & my "Seffle" either had or were propped to give more "umph" so he came out 2nd best ,some thing he was not used to. I remember when Dennis on "Picses " dragged him back he was a bit "miffed" & when I did the same he was not a "Happy Chappie " the second contest was a promised rematch & the third was a sort  of best of 3 It was all taken in good part & the beer flowed afterwards but at the time I think he was upset he'd lost his "Bragging Rights" & his 1053 was not the most powerful on the cut at that time. I also repaired & refixed  his "dollie" that got pulled out . " Happy days " as an aside what happened to "Pearl" as I left the cut in the beginning of "73"

I would also love to know where she is now, I have seen her, but can't remember where. After Binkie's early demise, Pearl was sold by my Grandmother in 1980 and renamed to her original Baron. I believe she sank a few times, had her bottom replaced and was fully refurbished as a working boat. According to http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk, she is now owned by Peter & Roger Wakeham at Uxbridge or Denham Deep Lock, and they still have Binkie's tiller pin.

Can anyone shed any light on the Brass Monkey Club?

1 hour ago, fittie said:

Dart had a 3 cylinder Gardener from a bread van I thought I was told - but it was 40 odd years ago.

As a confirmation I can add the following from my records:

c1968-AUTOMOTIVE TYPE GARDNER 4LK No 108246 (new 04/1956) BY G. FASHAM (1968-exGuy lorry – 700/1450 rpm – 45 hp @ ? / max 57 hp @ 2100)

13 minutes ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

I would also love to know where she is now, I have seen her, but can't remember where. After Binkie's early demise, Pearl was sold by my Grandmother in 1980 and renamed to her original Baron. I believe she sank a few times, had her bottom replaced and was fully refurbished as a working boat. According to http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk, she is now owned by Peter & Roger Wakeham at Uxbridge or Denham Deep Lock, and they still have Binkie's tiller pin

BARON is still owned by the Wakeham's and operates as a fuel boat in the south east, particularly west / central London area :captain:

4 hours ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

I would also love to know where she is now, I have seen her, but can't remember where. After Binkie's early demise, Pearl was sold by my Grandmother in 1980 and renamed to her original Baron. I believe she sank a few times, had her bottom replaced and was fully refurbished as a working boat. According to http://www.steamershistorical.co.uk, she is now owned by Peter & Roger Wakeham at Uxbridge or Denham Deep Lock, and they still have Binkie's tiller pin.

I stayed on Baron at an IWA London Branch rally at Mile End on the Regents in about 1982. Still had a full length conversion then.

Myself and a friend went along and helped Binkie Bush many years ago, I think early 1970. We joined him at the bottom of Wolverhampton and went to Norton Canes to collect a boat which we then took down to Warwick where I was considered surplus to requirements (only needed for bowhauling down the 19!) and left the boats there. What I remember most was the (seemingly!) sub-zero temperatures and Binkie's insistence on having his brass polished - put me off for life - my portholes are painted!