A memorable trip for all the wrong reasons

mayalld

Featured Posts

Those who have read one of my trip reports before and are expecting more of the same will, I am afraid, be enormously disappointed. This will be a very different story.

This year's annual fortnight away from work was planned as a trip to Chester, and extended to "might as well visit the NWM". The trip was in some doubt, because Beverley had a week in hospital with a kidney infection, but the doctors were happy that the infection had cleared up, and that a fortnight on the boat would be just the thing.

So, July 29th saw us on our way. A slightly different set up than usual, because Bev needed to rest, and I was effectively single handing (although with some help from our 10 year old grandson, seconded from their boat as we were out in convoy).

The trip was great, and Bev was making the most of her enforced idleness (first time ever). A planned stopover in Middlewich on the Tuesday to nip back for the regular 3-weekly oncologist appointment went without a hitch, and so on to Ellesmere Port, with a great half day exploring the museum on the Friday, back to Chester on Saturday, and spent most of Sunday exploring Chester, including the magnificent art exhibition in the Cathedral, and a pub lunch in the canalside pub.

Monday, things started to go wrong! Bev was lethargic, and became more so throughout the day, and by Monday evening, we were concerned enough to call a friend to meet us on Tuesday morning to run Beverley back to hospital. They ran a whole series of tests, which found nothing, and admitted Beverley. I returned to the boat, and on Wednesday, we set off home doing some longer days to get home as rapidly as possible.

When we arrived back, Beverley had been diagnosed with a severe chest infection, and prescribed strong antibiotics, and was a little better, but then the improvement stopped again.

A week after leaving the boat, they re-ran the same tests, but with different results. This time, a CT scan showed that the breast cancer that Beverley has been battling for the past 7 years had metastasised to the brain. in multiple areas.

Sadly, such a spread is untreatable, and progresses very rapidly indeed, and Beverley passed away on Sunday 20th August, two weeks to the day from our day out enjoying the sights of Chester. She was 60 years old.

Whilst we knew that this day would be coming, that Beverley wouldn't reach a ripe old age, and that in marrying somebody 12 years older than myself, it was a fair bet that I would face this one day, we thought we had at least a couple more years to go as the cancer progressed slowly. I'm just so pleased that we decided to go for it, and that Beverley got one last holiday away on the boat, and that she enjoyed herself so much.

Beverley's funeral will be on Friday 8th September at 11:30am. Once the sun is over the yardarm, perhaps you would raise a glass to her.

• Sad 7

My sincerest condolences Dave. Mrs WotEver has recently been diagnosed with cancer but we're in the very early stages of awaiting a treatment program to be determined. We'll raise a glass to Bev on the 8th. 

My dear fellow. Words, for once, fail me.

Sincere condolences on your loss, and sincere admiration for having the guts to share this terrible news on CWDF.

Glass will be raised indeed.

Mike

Our thoughts are with you - our Son has a brain tumour, 2 years ago he was given 'a few years' but we have an unknown time, all that can be done is to 'live life'.

You did the right thing and can only live every day as if it were your last.

Very few people I know truly regret what they have done, but several rather regret things they did not do - you will not be one of them.

May your God be with you.

My condolences too Dave, heartwarming that fortunate timing meant the both of you had a last holiday on the boat together. Probably would not have happened had the holiday been booked for any other time.

My thoughts and best wishes too for Alan and WotEver who also mentioned their loved ones' cancer in this thread. And also to one other I know of here touched by cancer but didn't say so. 

Dave,

Our sincere condolences from all at Guide Bridge to you and your family.

This is of no consolation, but we attended a hastily arranged  wedding yesterday where the couple are facing exactly the same situation as you. Our hearts go out to all folk who find tragedy in their lives.

Bill

Like so many others Dave, I can't find the words. Sincere condolences and may God be with you at this incredibly difficult time. 

I will be in Swansea on the 8th, working on canal restoration - coffee (for that is the strongest drink I have) will be raised in Beverley's memory