Flojet domestic water pump faulty - what to repair or replace

Momac

Featured Posts

My Flojet domestic water pump has become faulty . It is a 4 valve diaphragm pump. It seems to be creating air in the water.  

I have taken the pump apart, cleaned out some limescale and re-assembled . No obvious splits of faults . But no improvement.
What would be the best plan of action . I am nervous about buying parts that may not fix the problem but equally would prefer to avoid paying £120 for a new pump.

It has been suggested to me the diaphragm may be perished. It looks intact . Certainly it may have deteriorated as I expect the pump is as old as the boat which was built in 2003. The body of the pump looks as good as new so is worth repairing - if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Make sure there is no blockage between the pump and tank. E.G. A blocked strainer.

2. Yesterday I spent £65 on a new pump that was doing what your is plus leaking. I might strip it to see if I can see what is wrong but I'm with Brian on this. I had little luck in the past. 

Advice suggesting replace rather than repair is noted. The price for a new  Flojet pump in my case is £133

I have found an alternative brand of pump , 'Seaflo' , that seems to be  a copy of the 'Flojet' pump -  but half the price.  Undecided at present which way to go.

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Advice suggesting replace rather than repair is noted. The price for a new  Flojet pump in my case is £133

I have found an alternative brand of pump , 'Seaflo' , that seems to be  a copy of the 'Flojet' pump -  but half the price.  Undecided at present which way to go.

If the connections are similar, you could try a Jabsco Parmax. The blurb suggests an accumulator isn't required. 

Check the pump and all upstream connections for any small water leaks. These will draw in air when the pump is running and create the symptoms you describe. I recently had air in my fresh water system and couldn't figure out how it was getting in there. Eventually I found a tiny drip from the pump head, sealed it up with Stixall and it's been fine ever since.

I dont see any air in the pipe from the tank up to the pump , which is a clear pipe.

But I do feel and hear air on the outlet pipe after the pump.

I am going to fully dismantle and put back together one more time . 

Moans aside, they're one of the better pumps, do have spares available, and do have a phone number:

UK  (Rule / Jabsco / Flojet)

Bingley Road, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, EN11 0BU
Tel: +44 (0)1992 450145
Fax: +44 (0)1992 467132

If all else fails you could try sealing the edge of the diaphragm, the O rings on the push in ports, and any hose tails/hose clamps with a smear of Fernox LS-X. But without a proper diagnosis it's a shot in the dark... do let us know how you get on...

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Been running one since Dec 2014 but only about 3-4 months each year

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

I bought an O ring set from Screwfix. O rings on the input filter and on the output fitting and an internal O ring replaced. This  seemed to restore pump performance. Found a corroded electrical terminal on the pressure switch - replaced the terminal.

Seems to be all in order and working better than ever.

I have been in touch with Seaflo about a new pump. The cost will be about £50 but out of stock until next month . I may get one anyway and keep in as a spare.

• Greenie 1

On 29/08/2017 at 22:13, ditchcrawler said:

Been running one since Dec 2014 but only about 3-4 months each year

We run a Flojet 4405 "Quad II Diaphragm" pump which requires no accumulator.  From 10 years of living aboard I've found the diaphragm splits after about 3 1/2 years. Usually the first I know is water appearing in the bilge at the rear of the boat.  I have a note in my diary to replace it at the end of September.

I have a service kit and will overhaul the old one when I replace it. Couldn't do it last time as the old pump seized due to the water penetrating the permanent magnet and causing rust. Hopefully by repairing before its actually leaking will be ok.

Edited by pearley

On 8/28/2017 at 21:42, MartynG said:

My Flojet domestic water pump has become faulty . It is a 4 valve diaphragm pump. It seems to be creating air in the water.  

I have taken the pump apart, cleaned out some limescale and re-assembled . No obvious splits of faults . But no improvement.
What would be the best plan of action . I am nervous about buying parts that may not fix the problem but equally would prefer to avoid paying £120 for a new pump.

It has been suggested to me the diaphragm may be perished. It looks intact . Certainly it may have deteriorated as I expect the pump is as old as the boat which was built in 2003. The body of the pump looks as good as new so is worth repairing - if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to mend em but it aint worth the hassle. Bin it and pay 60 odd quid for a par max one it will do all you want.

30 minutes ago, pearley said:

Couldn't do it last time as the old pump seized due to the wstef penetrating the permanent magnet and causing rust. Hopefully by repairing before its actually leaking will be ok

I mounted our pump vertically with the motor at the top, so any leak(caught by a plastic container beneath) doesn't damage it. 

Edited by rusty69

9 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I mounted our pump vertically with the motor at the top, so any leak(caught by a plastic container beneath) doesn't damage it. 

My pump is fitted vertically , as you suggest. Looking a the rubber mounting feet I am sure that is how it should be. Unfortunately the pressure switch is then at the bottom.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I used to mend em but it aint worth the hassle. Bin it and pay 60 odd quid for a par max one it will do all you want.

No point in binning it, especially now it seems to be working well. Quieter and more responsive that before so I think it has not been 100% since we bought the boat in 2014 and has been gradually deteriorating  a while .  But a spare pump in stock perhaps worth the expense. Par max is Jabsco - isn't that all the same or related company as Flojet ? The products look very much the same.

10 hours ago, pearley said:

We run a Flojet 4405 "Quad II Diaphragm" pump which requires no accumulator.  From 10 years of living aboard I've found the diaphragm splits after about 3 1/2 years. 

I imagine my pump is the same age as the boat =14 years. However live aboard use probably wear and tear  x a factor or 5 or more . \and my pump is also a quad type with no accumulator.

Edited by MartynG

24 minutes ago, MartynG said:

My pump is fitted vertically , as you suggest. Looking a the rubber mounting feet I am sure that is how it should be. Unfortunately the pressure switch is then at the bottom.

Yes, i suppose that is a drawback with an inbuilt switch. Mine has an external square d type switch, so won't be affected by a leak