Diesel Thieves & Speed Boats

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Hi all

Just thought I'd warn people to be cautious on the stretch between Willowbridge Marina (boatyard) and Stoke Hammond Lock on the GU south of Milton Keynes. A fellow moorer has reported having diesel stolen by "...two Polish guys who are sleeping in a silver estate car in the layby..." which is on the offside roughly midway between the lock and the boatyard. They were apparently scared off by another boater who disturbed them. The police were informed but said there was nothing they could do as there was no proof (apparently the other boater didn't want to 'get involved'). Make of it what you will but just be aware.

I was also informed that "...a speedboat and two jet skis..." were hurtling up and down this stretch a few days ago having accessed the canal from the aforementioned layby. I didn't witness the incident myself as we not on there on that particular day (thank goodness) but I thought both reports were worth passing on.

I won't ask people's opinions on suggested action for the diesel thieves but I'd be interested to know what would be the right course of action for the 'speedboat' and jet skis?

Richard

2 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

I won't ask people's opinions on suggested action for the diesel thieves but I'd be interested to know what would be the right course of action for the 'speedboat' and jet skis?

It would be a terrible shame if you lost control of your boat and it ended across the cut, wouldn't it?

13 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Hi all

Just thought I'd warn people to be cautious on the stretch between Willowbridge Marina (boatyard) and Stoke Hammond Lock on the GU south of Milton Keynes. A fellow moorer has reported having diesel stolen by "...two Polish guys who are sleeping in a silver estate car in the layby..." which is on the offside roughly midway between the lock and the boatyard. They were apparently scared off by another boater who disturbed them. The police were informed but said there was nothing they could do as there was no proof (apparently the other boater didn't want to 'get involved'). Make of it what you will but just be aware.

I was also informed that "...a speedboat and two jet skis..." were hurtling up and down this stretch a few days ago having accessed the canal from the aforementioned layby. I didn't witness the incident myself as we not on there on that particular day (thank goodness) but I thought both reports were worth passing on.

Richard

Just as a suggestion, if these two guys car is a diesel model, a phone call to HMRC Fraud Hotline telling them that you've just seen them putting red diesel into the car might work a treat (and remove them from your area). From my experience in Devon there was a half wit who bought some red diesel from a local garage stopped within sight of the garage and poured it into his Land Rover. Garage duly reported what they had seen and the vehicle was checked and found to have red diesel in it. It was impounded and taken to HMRC vehicle pound in Dover. I think the guy was a bit out of pocket by the time he had recovered his Land Rover, paid the excess duty, paid the storage costs and travelled to Dover to collect it. if it turns out that there isn't any red diesel in their car (unlikely) then you can just tell HMRC that it was just an innocent mistake on your part:rolleyes:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is there to stop a potential thief pushing it right through and into the tank?

Could the police be called, with reference to the speed boat and jet skis, assuming that they were indeed hurtling up and down (and almost certainly unlicensed given their access point and behaviour)? Or is the only course of action to waste my time and contact CRT? I say 'waste my time' because I have NEVER received a response from CRT whenever I have contacted them for various reasons via there online options or email!

Richard

Edited by Richardcn

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

The legs splay out and grip the fuel pipe ribs.

Can't see that working on our tank, and a lot of narrowboats I think, the fuel cap is directly on the top of the tank, I.e. No pipe.

Edited by steve hayes

12 minutes ago, steve hayes said:

Can't see that working on our tank, and a lot of narrowboats I think, the fuel cap is directly on the top of the tank, I.e. No pipe.

Modernish trads. Twin tanks below floor via connecting <ribbed> pipe. Tank inlet set in gunnel by engine room door so making a lock is not a practical option as lock would foul engine room side door.

Having a ball valve inside on the "tube" in engine room would be a good thing but not easy on flexible hooped hoses.

Fuel tank underwater (ala above)  keeps air inside tank a little more temp stable to reduce condensation.

Edited by mark99

3 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Could the police be called, with reference to the speed boat and jet skis, assuming that they were indeed hurtling up and down (and almost certainly unlicensed given their access point and behaviour)? Or is the only course of action to waste my time and contact CRT? I say 'waste my time' because I have NEVER received a response from CRT whenever I have contacted them for various reasons via there online options or email!

Richard

What do you hope that the Police will be able to do? The have no means of getting on the water and if they did what offences are they going to be able to deal with (given the fact that they have other priorities).

One experience from a few years back comes to mind when sailing in the Ionian with friends. We moored offshore from a couple of tavernas, one of which we were going to oblige with our custom and the other that we weren't. The owner of the second taverna had a brother who was in the local Police who he called up to tell us to move off. One of our crew commented," Has he got a gun?" Answer, "No", "Has he  got a boat then?" Answer, "No", "Well tell him to feck off then":rolleyes:. If the Police have no powers to deal with the problem, what is the point of calling them (they wont come anyway).

11 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

What do you hope that the Police will be able to do?

Stop them from doing what they shouldn't be doing!

The have no means of getting on the water...

They wouldn't need to, their cars and trailers are on dry land in the layby.

and if they did what offences are they going to be able to deal with (given the fact that they have other priorities).

I don't know, hence my question. Is there any law being broken for which they can attend? Surely they can't just be allowed to carry on doing this (if indeed that's what happened)?

One experience from a few years back comes to mind when sailing in the Ionian with friends. We moored offshore from a couple of tavernas, one of which we were going to oblige with our custom and the other that we weren't. The owner of the second taverna had a brother who was in the local Police who he called up to tell us to move off. One of our crew commented," Has he got a gun?" Answer, "No", "Has he  got a boat then?" Answer, "No", "Well tell him to feck off then":rolleyes:.

If the Police have no powers to deal with the problem, what is the point of calling them (they wont come anyway).

See my above.

Richard

1 hour ago, steve hayes said:

Good point, same on ours. I've seen somewhere, another post on here probably, that drilling holes in the spill deflector (assuming that you have one) and fitting a bar and lock would NOT necessarily fail the BSS (well that was the case when I last researched it) but I am toying with the idea of just two good quality locks that (each) would prevent the cap from being removed instead of a pin and lock. A work in progress but a good visual 'move on to another easier target' deterrent, hopefully!

Richard

22 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Richard

Your 'above' hasn't really clarified the situation. Let us try to break it down then. What offences are committed by putting a jet ski on a canal? I don't know of any, do you? Why would you expect the Police to know of any. Failing to display a CRT licence is hardly in their remit. Excess speed on the canal, what have they got to prove any 'offence'? a radar gun calibrated to record vehicles travelling at 40 - 60 mph, I wouldn't think that a jet ski travelling at 10 mph is going to register, and even if it did, so what? What enforcement powers do the police have for speeding on a canal?

There may well be bylaws being broken which can be enforced by CRT if they wish but, quite frankly, the Police are a bit busy at the moment and, since it has been decided that they don't need many resources, they haven't got anyone to send you anyway (this is what the Government has decided, if you don't like it change the Government). By comparison, whilst at Upper Mill I saw three local youths on the roof of the museum where I was moored at about 11.45pm. I called the Police and was put in a queue waiting nearly 3 minutes before I got any reply and even after that I'm not sure that anyone actually got sent to what may well have been an attempted burglary (why else is anyone on the roof of a public building at 11.45pm), by comparison a couple of yobs riding a jet ski on the canal don't even register an interest. Welcome to the new country:unsure:

I fitted one of these to my modern trad.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1435/product/ad-126.aspx

Could be removed with a hacksaw or angle grinder,  but will stop the casual theif as it is a very visible deterrent. Pity they don't do it in brass though.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Could be removed with a hacksaw or angle grinder,  but will stop the casual the if as it is a very visible deterrent. Pity they don't do it in brass though.

Looks good. I think you'd struggle with a hacksaw but obviously an angle grinder could get through it. So I agree, more trouble than it's worth for probably all fuel thieves. 

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Could be removed with a hacksaw or angle grinder,  but will stop the casual the if as it is a very visible deterrent. Pity they don't do it in brass though.

Surely brass is more susceptible to a hacksaw blade? Stainless will be harder and stronger. But the hinge pin on that thing looks a bit flimsy - I'm sure a good whack with a lump hammer would break it.

Edit: Just about anything will be removed with an angle grinder - fortunately most boat thieves don't carry them routinely!

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks good. I think you'd struggle with a hacksaw but obviously an angle grinder could get through it. So I agree, more trouble than it's worth for probably all fuel thieves. 

I agree brass would be weaker, but stainless isn't in keeping with the boats fittings. Maybe it needs brass plating? 

The hinge pin is a shear bolt.  You do it up and the head tightly until the snaps off. What you can see is the waisted bit where it shears. The rest is about twice as thick.

17 hours ago, steve hayes said:

Just swap the fuel filler cap and pump out cap over.

Make sure you remember you have done this though!

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just swap the fuel filler cap and pump out cap over.

Make sure you remember you have done this though!

Or have a diverted valve that goes to a small container of diesel riddled with the diesel bug!