National lift pump Amal

plainsman

Featured Posts

Am trying to locate a source for spares forthe Amal 120 series lift pump. The thread on the fuel delivery to engine side is partially stripped and can't quite get a good seal. Ideally I need to replace the lower body section hence my search. The pump was also used on Gardner's centuries ago but current Gardner replacements have different size unions and rocker arm. Anybody got one in exchange for cash or know someone who has?  Alternatively how to overcome the partial stripped thread with a fuel tight result.  Help appreciated

Tony and Paul Redshaw stock the service kits and may have  the part you require, you will need a photo though cos there are several variations.

The lever is transferable to a new body if you have to go down that route with modifications to your pipework.

Highlights info row image
01327 700219

1 hour ago, Bob Tidy said:

Tony and Paul Redshaw stock the service kits and may have  the part you require, you will need a photo though cos there are several variations.

The lever is transferable to a new body if you have to go down that route with modifications to your pipework.

Highlights info row image
01327 700219

Yep, good idea thanks

Just for info, I managed to get sorted thanks to Walsh of Manchester, seemed he has one of those boxes with stuff labelled 'might come in handy sometime' and luckily for me had a body part for an Amal pump.  Thanks everyone for the responses

12 minutes ago, plainsman said:

My solution did not work so I'm still looking to source a pump body. HELP!!!!!!

Could you post a photo of the pump esp the damage. I've ad some joy fitting threaded sleeves in damaged 'mazak'/aluminum die castings.  Depends on wall thickness.  mross suggestion of coil inserts can work though will need sealant 'cause diesel is a sneaky beast.

• 1 month later...

Plainsman, did you get sorted out?

Is the pump an Amal 120, like on a Russell Newbery?

If it is, you could fit a "Gardner" bottom half to the pump, and then use the more robust inlet fittings from Burlen fuel systems (Amalcarb).

I've just done this on a Russell Newbery.

I notice Gardnerspares offer a refurbished pump for £195, but the ad says they will do service exchange; perhaps they'd let you change over your old operating arm.IMG_0093.JPG.d431feb3298f14b270aac5a17b28ea16.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Like said if its the threads that have gone like mine did heli coil and changed to metric sizes was the best thing i ever did it was a lot of work with the rest of the pipes but now works very well and now easy to replace.

As its all old ally is very soft but you can go up a size from 1/4 if needed so 10mm but you can heli coil to 1/4 and then still go to 10mm if needed.

I have found people that do the full intrenal replacment but not the casings for the national/r n pumps. There are a few that might fit but it would be a case of order one and try it and could get costly, only other option is find someone that sells a sim pump and take yours to it to check or make an adapter so you could fit a diffrent style one