Borg Warner Velvet Drive oil strainer

Featured Posts

Changing the oil in my Borg Warner Velvet Drive and thought I'd have a go at cleaning the oil strainer located in the coolant return connection. However , removing the cooler hose return connection, the drain assembly came out but couldn't find any sign of the strainer so assume this is located further in.

In the manual it states you have to reach into the opening with a suitable tool but fails to mention what this tool is. I made up a piece of wire with a hook at the end hopeing this would pull it out but to no avail. I assume if it's been in there a while it won't shift easy anyway. I suppose there is the prospect of the strainer not being present of course.

So what have other people used to get the strainer out and how easy was it?

yyy.jpg

On 27/08/2017 at 17:07, matty40s said:

Didn't even know I had one in there! !

There may not be after all, found this which seems to show the strainer assembley with a note that it is only used on some 10-17 (71C) models only.

I assume area A they are refering to is the coolant return port at the bottom of the drive.

Whilst trying to dig out the non existant strainer there was no debris of any kind in the coolant return port area and the oil was discoloured but didn't contain any visible particles which was encouraging.

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by Bloomsberry