Boat painting options

Featured Posts

Another option is to hire facilities and tools to do a DIY paint job . You can take all the fittings off and crack on with scabblers , angle grinders , sanders and gallons of tea . If you can round up volunteers for the job this may help . 

You can then set about repainting according to the spec required by the paint supplier . A  simple paint scheme , not to ambitious should be achievable . You could even save a few quid by doing some prep before going into wet dock . 

It is unlikely you will acieve the standards of a professional but you might if you re diligent enough . It is still likely to cost quite alot of money on hire costs but way way less than paying a pro 

It depends on what you want or need from your boat . If i had 8 K to spend on boat paint it would go on the bit that goes in the water not above it . 

3 hours ago, chubby said:

Another option is to hire facilities and tools to do a DIY paint job . You can take all the fittings off and crack on with scabblers , angle grinders , sanders and gallons of tea . If you can round up volunteers for the job this may help . 

You can then set about repainting according to the spec required by the paint supplier . A  simple paint scheme , not to ambitious should be achievable . You could even save a few quid by doing some prep before going into wet dock . 

It is unlikely you will acieve the standards of a professional but you might if you re diligent enough . It is still likely to cost quite alot of money on hire costs but way way less than paying a pro 

It depends on what you want or need from your boat . If i had 8 K to spend on boat paint it would go on the bit that goes in the water not above it . 

Sounds easy doesn't it, ever tried doing it?

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

We did, 7 years ago now.

Something of the order of three weeks non stop slog for two of us.

An "interesting" experience, but not a pleasurable one.....

DSCF3576.JPG

DSCF3604.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

No i haven t . 

But then again i couldn t really care about going to such lengths to make my boat shiny . Its not a Ferrari afterall . 

I am in the process of painting my boat just now . Windows and mushrooms are still in place . I m aiming to tidy my boat up , to make it more presentable . I do not have money to pay someone else & if i did i can think of many things more worthwhile to spend it on than a paint job .,Even so , despite not going back to bare metal etc etc it is back breaking work . I already admire & respect professional boat painters and so i haven't acquired a " new found admiration " etc . They do what what they do because they have reputations built over many years to maintain . In boat painting like many other professions reputation is everything and I expect thats why they charge what they charge and why they wont cut  corners . 

My comments that you quoted were not flippant remarks . They are a " middle way " . For someone who wants the benefits of a bare metal repaint but who doesn't want the expense it represents an option . A difficult , still reasonably expensive option with an extremely steep learning curve i grant you but an option nonetheless.

cheers 

I still haven't made up my mind yet about having a full paint job on my boat but it is rusting quite badly in places. We're not 'showy' types desperate to have a shiny boat, but just want it to be presentable.

If I do go for it there is the question of whether to go for a hand painted or a spray job.

Am I correct in thinking that with a hand painted boat, once the paint begins to fade and you polish it the shine lasts longer because there is more depth in the paint particularly after a number of years ?

Currently after polishing my badly faded spray painted boat the fade returns within a week or so and I think it's probably because after all these years there's hardly any depth left in it. Would a hand painted job last longer before this begins to happen?

Also, with a hand painted job could some scratches be easier to polish out, especially in years to come?

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Who spray paints boats these days? Genuine question, is it common? I'd go for a brushed finish every time, myself. 

Aqualines do, Hudsons did, with paint issues occurring around hinges, handrails, doors and...........rivets.

I think pro jobs look great in fact sometimes too good. It depends on where you want to spend your money. My boat is now ten years old and getting rough. I am docking it next week but only doing what I can get away with. The roof will be scabbled off to bare metal but anywhere possible such as cabin sides will be flatted off undercoated and good old dulux trade applied just to brighten it up, in fact I may only do the roof till next year. I am luckier than most in that I have access to a dock this month which helps but otherwise nice summer days will be when its finished. After all paint is to protect the steel in the first instance and to look good as an afterthought. I will save around 7k doing it this way and spend the 7k on more important ( to me ) things.

Hello, I have put this name up before. Robert Naghi, have a look at his web site. He will give advice and carry out work to any standard you choose and will travel to you if needed. No connection but thought this to be a good option.   p.s looks like he does work for some well respected boat builders.

Garry.

1 hour ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

Hello, I have put this name up before. Robert Naghi, have a look at his web site. He will give advice and carry out work to any standard you choose and will travel to you if needed. No connection but thought this to be a good option.   p.s looks like he does work for some well respected boat builders.

Garry.

Yes, Robert Naghi is very much on my radar, along with Tony Martin here in Yorkshire.