Floatel, Northwich

Heartland

Featured Posts

I notice it is still possible to make bookings for the Floatel in Northwich, despite a report in 2009 that the owner had gone into bankruptcy and the 60 room hotel was to be demolished after vandalism. I am right in assuming that this is (was?) the only floating UK Hotel. Floatels are made by a Swedish company and are to be found in different parts of the World. I note.

There was a floatel in Port Stanley harbour for some time and another one in Portland Harbour IIRC as a part of the prison.  Don't think you could book for either though the Port Stanley one was a (small)  step up on an ISO container or a tent.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

There was a floatel in Port Stanley harbour for some time and another one in Portland Harbour IIRC as a part of the prison.  Don't think you could book for either though the Port Stanley one was a (small)  step up on an ISO container or a tent.

N

For a while, after the Falklands conflict was over, there were three "floatels" in Post Stanley which were used as barracks for the troops stationed in the islands. The last one to go was Pursuivant which was taken there in 1983 after conversion from its original role as a North Sea Offshore barge, and it stayed for about three years or so. It accommodated up to 900 RAF personnel and was fully equipped with galleys, water making and recreational facilities etc. It is pictured moored at the Eastern end of Port Stanley Harbour

Howard

Pursuivant.jpg

Edited by howardang