Calorifier size

Featured Posts

I have a 30 litre stainless steel 24v, 230v, single coil Calorifier in my shed......long story.  Is it going to be big enough for a liveaboard boat or am I going to spend my time wishing I had sold this one and bought a bigger one?

phil

What are you going to use the hot water for? If it is for a family of four who like cooking and a lot of bathwater, then  NO.  For a singly who showers at work or the gym and eats out a lot, then very probably.

N

Then it will probably be OK provided you start with the cauliflower really hot (fit a mixing valve too so you get safe hot water temps at the taps) and have Navy showers not Hollywood ones.

Always let the missus shower after you!  Then if there is no hot water for the washing up it must be her fault :-).

For a liveaboard I would want twin coils and an immersion if a hookup was available. That way you can cover summer cruising, Autumn relaxing with the heating on and any time spent at a home mooring.  The immersion also can be used with a genny if needed for a summer stopover.

N

7 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have a 30 litre stainless steel 24v, 230v, single coil Calorifier in my shed......long story.  Is it going to be big enough for a liveaboard boat or am I going to spend my time wishing I had sold this one and bought a bigger one?

phil

That will depend on the boat you are having built and the space available. Bigger would be better, say 55ltr and twin coil with immersion heater.  

• 2 weeks later...

I find Re colarifier size, if on 240 volt most of the time, a 15 litre good quality one will serve a couple, when on hook up constantly.

when hot water is used, it get replaced straight away, abiet will get a few degrees cooler as the tank  is used.

if having a long shower, 240 volt on all the time, being smaller will heat up quicker.

during the day when 240 feed on all the time, your not wasting money by heating up let say one double the size.

speaking to sure cal, when your cruising, the engine heats up the water for free, so makes sense to have a bigger colarifier.

then good insulation is the key.

if your spending most of your time on shore power, having a smaller tank your only paying to heat up 15 ltrs, and it heats up approx 30 mins from cold. With 1kw heater

where as a big 30 0r 55 ltr tank wit 1 kw heater will take 4 hrs plus waste of energy

surecal says a lot of folks think bigger is better, but they could do wit a colarifier a lot lot smaller.

engine  crushing bigger is better

when paying for shore power don't need to be as big

col

On 26/08/2017 at 13:15, Bromleyxphil said:

phil

Phil depending on what your going to boat for

cruising free hot water

shore power why pay for lots of energy heating the tank up.

you mention 24 v heater??

Are you keeping, or selling?

col

But a 15 litre calorifier is probably not going to be adequate to provide hot water for a bit of washing up after breakfast and 2 showers in the morning. I'm afraid I have to disagree with surecal - in my opinion a bigger tank up to about 60 litres is better for liveaboards on shore power as long as it's well insulated. I have my immersion on a timer, but even if the immersion is left on permanently, once a bigger well-insulated tank is up to temperature it won't make much difference in terms of energy to keep it hot compared to a smaller tank - hot water usage being equal. 

I have a 62ltr calorifier and during the warmer months I heat it up 1 hour per day with a 5kw Eberspacher (I don't have an immersion fitted yet) and this provides me with enough water for a one longish 10-15 minute shower and enough hot water for washing up for a few hours afterwards. Unless you are really frugal with your water usage, I'd recommend something bigger. Though it's probably worth noting, I do have separate water pumps for both hot and cold water. My shower is more like a power shower!

An alternative to a large calorifier is to fit a Surecal one with a thermostatic mixer valve. 

It makes the hot water go further and ensures that the hot water delivered to the shower and taps is at a sensible temperature,  not scalding hot. 

On 12/09/2017 at 08:20, Bromleyxphil said:

Hi the Calorifier is a 30 litre one of these https://www.elgena.de/collections/boiler/products/nautic-therm MEE version with a 3bar relief valve.

OK didn't know the one you had was intended for marine use, it may have been atmospheric. 3 bar sounds OK