Honda Outboard Motor Lock

Sunflower16

Featured Posts

Bought a Honda Lock it Once outboard motor lock to secure our outboard against opportunistic theft - hopefully it will be safe at the marina as there is a lot of security there, but when mooring up at the towpath for a pub lunch etc I guess is when it may be most vulnerable......

I know its probably a stupid question, but there are no instructions or pictures in the box, I cannot find anything on the web or even on YouTube for the genuine Honda lock - can someone more experienced please explain how I go about installing it?   

It slides over the transom clamps and stops them from being undone, I had to remove mine with an angle grinder as the lock was rusted up, its been replaced with a cheaper one from my local chandlers but its far better made than the Honda one ..

Am off to the marina tomorrow to get to know the boat and take her out a bit - will have a go then and see if I can fit it. I was confused by there being some screws in the box as well . Will keep lock well oiled - thought by buying the genuine Honda article insurance would be happier if it was ever nicked, as its a condition of insurance to have one or they won't pay out. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Dunno if its much help. The coastal people at north Norfolk use replacement covers to try and deter theft 

https://www.norfolk.police.uk/sites/norfolk/files/page/downloads/outboard_engine_cover_poster_2015.pdf

Seen these advertised but am in the midlands nowhere near the Broads so Norfolk police may think it a bit odd f I call them about buying one 

6 minutes ago, Sunflower16 said:

Am off to the marina tomorrow to get to know the boat and take her out a bit - will have a go then and see if I can fit it. I was confused by there being some screws in the box as well . Will keep lock well oiled - thought by buying the genuine Honda article insurance would be happier if it was ever nicked, as its a condition of insurance to have one or they won't pay out. 

Seen these advertised but am in the midlands nowhere near the Broads so Norfolk police may think it a bit odd f I call them about buying one 

Doubt it, lots of boat owners keep boats there but don't live there, me being one. Not sure how useful it would be. 

I think the idea is that without the hard cover, it makes a nicked motor more obvious - attracts attention when people try to buy the hard engine covers.    Good idea I suppose not sure how effective it is, though.    Nothing is if some scrote really wants the motor!