Disgusted

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Sunflower16 said:

I suppose its a bit of a sign of the times in a way, many people are very possession concious and absolutely cannot drive a car more than a year old etc etc.  Today was our first time out on the cut since buying the boat and it being delivered by road to the marina, it was a bit more stressful than I was hoping but most people seemed pleasant enough.   I did battle the low speed single outboard drift terribly in the marina though, and it took ages and a lot of cussing and stress to get back into the narrow berth.  Fellow boaters on the same pontoon have been friendly, as was the livaboard chap in the smallish GRP cruiser next to us.  The wind at Barton was a nightmare and the slow tickover speed (I was trying desperately to avoid battering into pontoons and other boats! ) led to the dreaded low speed drift bemoaned by single outboard owners - now I need to find an outboard engineer or even a helpful boat workshop to fit a Ruddersafe for us, I do thInk it will help immensely!   

Rambling now...........must be the sun and the smell around the canal near the river section at Alrewas!   Plus some delightful individual dumped an entire PortaPotti, presumably with contents, to float about the canal there!  I am pleased we all survived our first time out, the outbaord behaved impeccably and the oversteer has a lot to do with my own inexperience.  There is definitely a bit of an attitude towards "plastic" boat owners though, plebs of the canal scene we be in the eyes of some!   

With regards to the getting blown about: I know exactly how you feel. It was only my second try in my 22ft GRP when I decided to go for a quick jaunt up the canal to turn her around (my first three-point turn too) so that I'd be facing the other way in my mooring. It was a disaster. I got blown into the weeds, had to pole myself out (well, my dad did - he was crew for the day) and limp back to moorings as the weeds were tangled around the prop. Of course, with no forward/reverse thrust, I couldn't steer and the wind kept blowing me around in circles. Eventually, I got into the mooring, but it was an experience!  :blush:

On 8/26/2017 at 06:17, Benno 1688 said:

I have owned my own boat for a number of years and done many miles on the cut. Last week a friend of mine wanted to hire a day boat for his 50th birthday and he asked me to come along to help steer the boat. I have passed many day boats in my time and always say hello. Of course some of them are just learning how to control the boat. Like I say I have done many miles in my own boat, and I cannot believe the comments and dam right nastiness of some boat owners. There are one that appear to deliberately go out of the way to force me into the side. The ones that scowl at you on the amount of people who told me to slow down when I was on tick over, leads me to believe that some of the boating community are nothing but  unsociable. Some of these people need to look at themselves first. Like the one who made a comment, and his liecence on his boat had expired six months ago. Some strange people on the cut.

I have to say that my view is that those who pass ignorant comments about fellow boaters say more about their own incompetence than they say about anything else. It seems to me that is a bit like people who want to denigrate other races,sexes,etc.etc. they are so insecure in their own abilities that they feel that they have to pass comment on others to make themselves appear better. It is a bit like saying,"I know I'm crap at handling my boat, but I'm better that some mere hirer' even though they probably aren't. The only judgements that I'm willing to make is based upon what I see, if you 'T-bone' my boat I'll probably classify you as a muppet, if you are having difficulty in doing  some manoeuvre I'm going to offer assistance if you want it, otherwise you are as good/bad as I am. I seem to recall when manoeuvring a Canal Time boat a few years ago which elicited the comment from a nearby boater that I'd done well for a hirer, what they didn't know was that a) I'd been hiring boats for the previous 25 years (since 1974) and b ) I'd just crewed a 35 foot sailing boat across the North Sea with a friend, turning a narrow-boat around wasn't really much of a challenge. Always best to know the history of who you are commenting on:rolleyes:

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, AndyV said:

I lived on a boat for about 12 years until 2002. I haven't done much boating since, though I still owned a boat until 2 years ago, I am now planning retirement on a boat in a few years time, but posts like this bother me.

I don't recall more than two or three "awkward discussions" or examples of snobbery etc in all the time I was on a boat (cruisers on the the Thames and fishermen aside). Everyone on a boat was almost automatically a friend. Conversations at locks were always friendly (in fact my favourite part of boating) and no one seemed to care whether you had a just afloat old boat of the latest shiny.

I will be somewhat disappointed if the lifestyle that I have been looking forward to getting back to doesn't exist any more.

Hey Buddy Andy V .....

Despair ye not! .... and that was a directive and not a suggestion.

Whereas I feel your trepidation I wouldn't want you to expel any valuable appointment "disa" or otherwise.

The truth of the matter is, although forums are newish'ish, giving us the opportunity to talk to the world about such human idiocy it only makes it easier and quicker to talk about.

The ability to act like a twonky in public in order to appear superior at every opportunity is nothing new and is unlikely to go away anytime soon.

If you'd been around boating in the early 70s ( did you see me seizing the chance to indicate my likelihood of having more experience than you?) you would have been reading in "letters to the editor" Waterways World, and hearing at any canal side pub identical attitudes and experiences as to those portrayed by the OP.

I think I have settled in my own mind what causes this, others talk of class status and the need to put others down, I merely feel that that a lot of the planet's population are nothing other than ballast.  They don't contribute anything other than weight, and their values are transparently self centred.

Come back to boating and enjoy it for yourself, smile and raise a welcoming hand to everyone, because you may convert a selfish person or alternatively it might be me.

• Greenie 2

I treat any boater I meet as if he or she was a normal, reasonably friendly individual like me.  Most folk are.

It's only when they prove otherwise that I make a disparaging remark (when out of earshot).

You can usually tell well in advance whether a hire boat has a novice crew or experts on board. 

We were out a couple of weeks ago on the Soar then had a quick jaunt down the cranfleet cut and down the Trent towards Beeston.

We were amused at the way we were treated by cruiser owners.

One largish one came up behind us as we were entering a lock, we asked if we should wait at the next lock for them. No thanks they said. Oh well we had hoped to share as being easier for all but never mind.

Did get past us later while we had lunch, and they did actually hold the next lock for us, but looked scared stiff as we very carefully came in next to them. They went out first with apparently the aim of getting well away!

Coming back up the lock on the Cranfleet cup we waited for the lock to become free, then went in when the green flag was waved.

There were 2 small cruisers behind us, which were then waved in to sit next to us. We had ropes off front and center. The lockies thought a front rope would be reassuring for the cruisers!

What a faff getting them in, lots of "do you think we'll fit" even with all those nice big fenders, and yes the lock was plenty wide enough

The lockies filled the lock very gently, and we never moved from the side at all, but I think the cruiser owners would  have been much happier to wait for the next lock. We let them go first, then were thanked for our understanding by the Lockeeper.

Apparently we were the first boat that day to actually acknowledge their flag signals. Not exactly hard to do is it?

Sue

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 07:44, matty40s said:

I also find it quite eye opening when moving other boats depending on the state they are in. If it's a bit shabby or old, noses get looked down by some unless I manage to get to talk to them. 

Moving a Hudson was strange, I think people were wondering where the butler was at locks.

I love meeting up with hire crews, generally lots of crew to help with locks and all enjoying themselves with no chips on shoulders. 

Were you on the Oxford summit last weekend, in a washerless grey Hudson with red trade plates?

On 26 August 2017 at 06:17, Benno 1688 said:

I have owned my own boat for a number of years and done many miles on the cut. Last week a friend of mine wanted to hire a day boat for his 50th birthday and he asked me to come along to help steer the boat. I have passed many day boats in my time and always say hello. Of course some of them are just learning how to control the boat. Like I say I have done many miles in my own boat, and I cannot believe the comments and dam right nastiness of some boat owners. There are one that appear to deliberately go out of the way to force me into the side. The ones that scowl at you on the amount of people who told me to slow down when I was on tick over, leads me to believe that some of the boating community are nothing but  unsociable. Some of these people need to look at themselves first. Like the one who made a comment, and his liecence on his boat had expired six months ago. Some strange people on the cut.

Yep similar tale a couple of weeks ago, been boating/liveaboard for 16 years and the mother in law wanted to take the whole family (ten people) out so we also deceided it was far simpler to hire a day boat

Going passed two moored boats, one a widebeam, and i spot a narrowboat coming towards us. I really thought he would slow down but he went for it, and according to my passengers actually revved up when he saw us

By now i reliase he is going to come through so i have got the boat into the off side bank/hedge (very overgrown offside) and stopped it, using the tiller to stop the stern from drifting back out

With about 2 inches to spare he comes through announcing "bet that was a baptism of fire for you hirers" to much amusement of himself and his crew, to which i explained that i had quite a lot of boating experience and was surprised he chose to do that manovure if he was so sure we had no knowledge of steering a boat

Funny thing was when he sailed passed me at my mooring about 4 hours later where all of a sudden he was very interested in the foliage on the opposite bank

People are funny things

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I treat any boater I meet as if he or she was a normal, reasonably friendly individual like me.  Most folk are.

It's only when they prove otherwise that I make a disparaging remark (when out of earshot).

You can usually tell well in advance whether a hire boat has a novice crew or experts on board. 

Walking the dogs after mooring up above Middlewich we came across a hire boat crew approaching a lock where the lower gates had been left open. They were hanging about, then entered the lock and started to wind up the lower paddles. Treated them as normal people, explained politely how the lock worked and helped them through.

The next day we caught up with them on the paired Cheshire locks and without asking they sent one of their crew to set our locks for us. Helps to be nice! I have not mentioned the name of the hire company as I (hope) am sure that they had given details of lock working but possibly had over emphasised the need to empty locks!

• 3 weeks later...

Here here for this topic! I have had 30 years as a boater, owned my own boat that some of you would call a yogurt pot, i sold my boat and now i hire, i know the rules of the river/canal and yes i could afford to buy a boat again but mine and my wife's job dictates otherwise at the moment. We have had the comments, the looks, the ignoring and the private owner steering towards us and you know what? I steer right back at them because number 1 it aint my boat and number 2 it's their no claims bonus up the swannie and number 3 i won't be intimidated by an idiot. I can not believe with all the troubles in the world today that so called grown up people want to behave in this way. we all know the speed limits and what to do when passing moored boats and we all know that it is not just hirers that break the rules, to the culprit (and they know who they are) you are a disgrace and shame on you! There, rant over.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Here here for this topic! I have had 30 years as a boater, owned my own boat that some of you would call a yogurt pot, i sold my boat and now i hire, i know the rules of the river/canal and yes i could afford to buy a boat again but mine and my wife's job dictates otherwise at the moment. We have had the comments, the looks, the ignoring and the private owner steering towards us and you know what? I steer right back at them because number 1 it aint my boat and number 2 it's their no claims bonus up the swannie and number 3 i won't be intimidated by an idiot. I can not believe with all the troubles in the world today that so called grown up people want to behave in this way. we all know the speed limits and what to do when passing moored boats and we all know that it is not just hirers that break the rules, to the culprit (and they know who they are) you are a disgrace and shame on you! There, rant over.

I was told that you should steer towards each other until you are about a boat length apart then gently drift to the right .... that way the water keeps you apart and neither party ends up in the bushes or bumping the side .... but I so rarely meet anyone except at locks that I have rarely done so

On 29/08/2017 at 12:48, Machpoint005 said:

I treat any boaters I meet as miserable, aggressive old curmudgeons and I usually find they are. ;)

I don't really... I'm usually cheerful, friendly and, when appropriate, helpful. Funnily enough, I also find most people to be similar.

There's a theme here, methinks! :D

35 minutes ago, KevMc said:

I was told that you should steer towards each other until you are about a boat length apart then gently drift to the right .... that way the water keeps you apart and neither party ends up in the bushes or bumping the side .... but I so rarely meet anyone except at locks that I have rarely done so

You should, i agree, but if you are on a hire boat some people keep going at you trust me, i have bee the recipient. 

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I treat any boaters I meet as miserable, aggressive old curmudgeons and I usually find they are. ;)

I don't really... I'm usually cheerful, friendly and, when appropriate, helpful. Funnily enough, I also find most people to be similar.

There's a theme here, methinks! :D

Me too helps to keep things nice and pleasant. We are talking about the minority here.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:09, Naughty Cal said:

You will without a doubt be looked down upon by a small minority of steel boat owners for owning a plastic boat. 

There are some incredibly narrow minded boat owners about. Thankfully much in the minority. 

Funnily enough, we were looked down upon by several plastic boat owners when we spent 4 weeks on the Thames this year. It seems to be par for the course. Its their problem.

1 hour ago, Old Son said:

Funnily enough, we were looked down upon by several plastic boat owners when we spent 4 weeks on the Thames this year. It seems to be par for the course. Its their problem.

But narrowboats are where the poor people live.

On 8/26/2017 at 06:17, Benno 1688 said:

Stop whinging and just get on with boating

• Greenie 1

Its strange but when I built my first boat in the early 90s then ventured out on the cut and read the Waterway press the same sort of discussion took place. Letters to the editor from disgruntled of......... You know the sort. Now I read the forums and the same sort of gripe appears here. Nothing new really just the way its expressed. I find that boaters, hirer,s or owners are there to enjoy themselves. If you treat people with respect then usually they do the same to you. Of course there are exceptions, and its pretty easily to spot them within a few seconds of conversation. So ignore them and do not let them ruin your day.

Happy boating

On 26/08/2017 at 07:44, matty40s said:

I love meeting up with hire crews, generally lots of crew to help with locks and all enjoying themselves with no chips on shoulders

That's my experience as well a great way for family's and friends to spend sometime together love it when you meet 3 generations all sharing the same experience. Grandad paying, Dad doing the steering and the kids making everyone happy (sometimes).

Day boaters - people enjoying a day out on the cut

Hen and Stag parties - people enjoying a week out on the cut

Hire boaters - people enjoying a fortnight out on the cut

Boat Share - people enjoying a fortnight out on the cut

Private owners - people enjoying a month out on the cut

GRP owners - people enjoying a month out on the cut

CCers - people enjoying the rest of their life out on the cut

Seems to me we all have something in common - now I wonder what that could be?

Live and let live and smile whilst doing so, life's too short to be grumpy and miserable!

• Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Live and let live and smile whilst doing so, life's too short to be grumpy and miserable!

Who you calling short :)

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, manxmike said:

You missed off CMers!

CMers - enjoying getting bitter and twisted at how unfairly CRT persecute them!