Diesel Generators

jddevel

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Are we looking at built in water cooled versions?

I`m not sure really. I`m a leisure cruiser- or will be next year when all is finished- but looking for something which if we find a nice spot to spend a couple of days the generator would help the batteries rather than use the engine. Doesn`t need to be pure sine and the bees knees just something to stick on the bank so nothing to large but which two could handle. Around say max. 80 kg- I`ve some well built lads as family.

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That`s very helpful. Thank you.

If only a leisure user, I would just use the engine with an uprated alternator or travelpower.   If you already planning on a decent inverter to cover your AC needs then a 120-170amp alternator is a good option.    Solar is also good, but if your only liesuring in summer you don’t need to go over board.

On 25/08/2017 at 16:11, jddevel said:

Although no noise is the best level, what is generally accepted as a reasonable noise level for an electric generator? 

Acceptable to whom?

Generators are pretty antisocial things so best you don't run it within earshot of anyone else. Boaters, householders or anyone.

Then you will be the only one listening to it, so you can decide yourself. How close are you planning to sit to it?

Look up the Honda EU20i sound pressure levels for reference. This is generally considered a pretty quiet genny. 

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

Depends, I would say 70 dB(A) at 3 metres is generally acceptable between 08:00 and 20:00 but others may have a different view.  The table below will help you understand dB for common noises, which may help your decision.

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

70 dB at 3 metres? From memory my Honda emits about 52 dB measured at 7m (at 1/4 load).

Of course what's acceptable is subjective but I'd say the Honda is the industry standard for suitcase petrol generators. Diesels are generally much louder unless they are proper cocooned marine diesel generators.

13 hours ago, Robbo said:

I would just use the engine with an uprated alternator or travelpower.

Beta 38 cannot take a Travelpower alternator. It is however fitted with a 175amp leisure alternator so therefore it would appear option covered.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Acceptable to whom?

Generators are pretty antisocial things so best you don't run it within earshot of anyone else

That I would compare to the leisure boaters experience of the "early riser" who buffets the boat at 6am when the moored vessel is rocked by wash and their engine noise which I ASSUME (no proof) is above 70 dba.  My leisure use is to take the opportunity to avoid my years in the building trade and the need to be away by 7am. Hotels on main roads and those offering wedding receptions are also therefore avoided. But all this is personal.

Acceptable to whom?

Generators are pretty antisocial things so best you don't run it within earshot of anyone else. Boaters, householders or anyone.

Then you will be the only one listening to it, so you can decide yourself. How close are you planning to sit to it?

So by that logic noisy boat engines are also antisocial and shouldn't be run within earshot of anyone else? :huh: 

My Honda generator is a lot quieter than a lot of boat engines I've heard being run for hours on end to produce power while the boat is moored up. But for some reason that doesn't seem to produce the same negative reaction...

On 26/08/2017 at 08:24, blackrose said:

So by that logic noisy boat engines are also antisocial and shouldn't be run within earshot of anyone else? :huh: 

Not for hours on end charging batteries and/or heating water, no.

Even during the 'permissible' hours, running noisy engines for extended periods whilst stationary and next to other moored boats is pretty anti-social, do you not think?

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Beta 38 cannot take a Travelpower alternator. It is however fitted with a 175amp leisure alternator so therefore it would appear option covered.

I wouldn’t bother with a generator then to be honest.  Put the money towards sound insulation/hospital siliencer n solar.

A external regulator is advisable with a large alternator tho if you have some decent batteries.  Some large alternators like Mastervolts already have them.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

The difficulty I have with the Honda and other generators is that being petrol they create the "storing" of petrol on board problem. I would however be interested to know how do others deal with this?

Storage is a different issue, this thread was about noise.

But since we're off topic, I have a dedicated fuel locker. However it's not just the storage of the petrol that presents problems but also the generator itself, which unless run dry after each use will contain petrol. My widebeam deck is 12ft wide so that the generator is far enough away from the engine hole or stern doors and any fumes will drain overboard. My generator "locker" is open on 3 sides for ventilation, but I wouldn't do this on a narrowboat. 

Front.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not for hours on end charging batteries and/or heating water, no.

Even during the 'permissible' hours, running noisy engines for extended periods whilst stationary and next to other moored boats is pretty anti-social, do you not think?

Yes I agree, but as I said above "noise" is subjective. I've actually knocked on nearby boats in the past to ask if the noise of my generator was bothering anyone, but most of the time I've just been met by quizzical looks because they said couldn't hear it inside their boats. 

10 hours ago, jddevel said:

The difficulty I have with the Honda and other generators is that being petrol they create the "storing" of petrol on board problem. I would however be interested to know how do others deal with this?

LPG conversion.

"Fuel" gas is stored in gas locker.  Most locker have room for an extra small cylinder.

Generator is now "fuel less" so can be stored in places that would not be allowed for petrol powered items.

Bod

• Greenie 1

The topic title was "Diesel generators" so to address that question.

I have a Paguro 4000 diesel generator. 4 Kva or 3.5 Kw. It's in a sound deadened casing and is on flexible mounting within a locker in the cockpit which itself is soundproofed. It is raw water cooled and the  exaust goes through a seperater and a silencer. The noise level is on on a par with the average air cooled Lister on tickover.

Frank

• Greenie 1

On 25 August 2017 at 17:56, jddevel said:

I`m not sure really. I`m a leisure cruiser- or will be next year when all is finished- but looking for something which if we find a nice spot to spend a couple of days the generator would help the batteries rather than use the engine. Doesn`t need to be pure sine and the bees knees just something to stick on the bank so nothing to large but which two could handle. Around say max. 80 kg- I`ve some well built lads as family

If you want a cheap generator, Screwfix do some. Although I haven't taken much of a look at the specs as I already have a petrol genny