Longevity of electric horns

Neil2

Featured Posts

Can one of our electrical experts explain why I am now on my 3rd electric horn in 4 years?

The previous two were of the trumpet type, ie meant to be fixed outside, though I suspect being left out in the weather is what has done for them.  They were not the cheapest, not the most expensive.  

I've fitted a cheapo thing for now and if I have to pay a lot to get something that lasts so be it - is it that simple?

Being outside is OK if they get used from time to time.  If not they tend to sieze up.  The art is to mount them in a sheltered position. Then you can ötootle your bridgeholes melodiously.

N

Fair enough, mine tend to be unused from November to March maybe I should add it to the ever increasing list of things to be removed when winterising.  Or resign myself to buying a new cheapo horn every spring.  It's not a straightforward matter to resite it, much as I would like to. 

Well I thought it was only me I had the crome trumpet shaped horn fitted to the front of the boat and it was open to the elements it worked abt 4 months ,and has not honked for about 4years now lol I think that was 50quid down the drain 

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Can one of our electrical experts explain why I am now on my 3rd electric horn in 4 years?

The previous two were of the trumpet type, ie meant to be fixed outside, though I suspect being left out in the weather is what has done for them.  They were not the cheapest, not the most expensive.  

I've fitted a cheapo thing for now and if I have to pay a lot to get something that lasts so be it - is it that simple?

Which way was the trumpet facing? Forward or upward and they get rain inside them, and then they fail. Best mounted so the horn faces downward.

I've often wondered if the long wiring run has an effect on the lifespan of horns, as they never seemed to last long on our previous boat-even though they weren't exposed to the elements. 

Wildlife tends to set up home within the workings of electric horns causing them to stop working. Not a problem with air horns which blast out any wildlife which has moved in. If the compresser is installed inside the cabin the horn will last for years. Also very cheap on ebay, the 150db version wakes up the sleepest of fisherman.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-150DB-Truck-Boat-Lorry-Train-Single-Trumpet-Super-Loud-Air-Horn-Klaxon-/152653666880?epid=894154516&hash=item238ade1a40:g:XbEAAOSwIWZZiCtp

I ended up buying one of these .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Zound-Rechargeable-Bike-Horn-Bicycle-Cycle-Hooter-Siren-Honking-Loud-115-db-/131392164622?epid=1105227156&hash=item1e9795530e:g:DPEAAOSwJ7RYR-I6

Very cheap

Very loud

Recharges with 12V car pump

Plenty of power for lots of toots

No leaks, last year's recharge still being used this year

We find that on our twin trumpet horns one or t'other seems to stop working after not being used for a few weeks.  If you tap the end containing the electronics with a 2" x 1" piece of wood whilst holding down the horn button it starts working just fine.

3 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

We find that on our twin trumpet horns one or t'other seems to stop working after not being used for a few weeks.  If you tap the end containing the electronics with a 2" x 1" piece of wood whilst holding down the horn button it starts working just fine.

Must use Hornbeam though, very hard wood. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dor said:

I must be lucky.  My fairly cheap plastic horn, mounted outside on the front of the cratch, is now ten years old and still works fine.

I am with you. Never changed one. Maybe others have before me on my boats?

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I ended up buying one of these .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Zound-Rechargeable-Bike-Horn-Bicycle-Cycle-Hooter-Siren-Honking-Loud-115-db-/131392164622?epid=1105227156&hash=item1e9795530e:g:DPEAAOSwJ7RYR-I6

Very cheap

Very loud

Recharges with 12V car pump

Plenty of power for lots of toots

No leaks, last year's recharge still being used this year

115db isn't what I call very loud!   Marine horns should really be above 120db to be heard.

11 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I have this on my small boat.   No electric required, just a big puff.  http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=131

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

115db isn't what I call very loud!   Marine horns should really be above 120db to be heard.

Narrowboats are only 'marine' in quite a loose sense though, aren't they. Our horns don't need to be heard above a roaring tempest and there's really not a lot of distance involved where our sound signals are concerned as our main use must be as a warning at bridge holes, junctions and blind bends. I'd be just as concerned about being too loud, particularly if anyone might be sat in the fore ends.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Narrowboats are only 'marine' in quite a loose sense though, aren't they. Our horns don't need to be heard above a roaring tempest and there's really not a lot of distance involved where our sound signals are concerned as our main use must be as a warning at bridge holes, junctions and blind bends. I'd be just as concerned about being too loud, particularly if anyone might be sat in the fore ends.

You may say that, but I'm sat/stood in a wheelhouse like many others and I can't here many of the pathetic horns that seem to be on alot of canal boats.   They may be not a lot of distance involved but there are alot of things that reflect the sound (like bridge holes, junctions and blind bends) that reduce the sound level considerably.

Some boaters seem to be frightened of the horn as well and only giving it a short blast like they were in a car tooting their friends.   A warning sound should be a long blast....

Edited by Robbo

Just now, Robbo said:

there are a lot of things that reflect the sound (like bridge holes, junctions and blind bends) that reduce the sound level considerably.

If the bridge masonry is sound-reflective, quite a lot of the sound energy ends up on the opposite side (which is where you want it!)

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

If the bridge masonry is sound-reflective, quite a lot of the sound energy ends up on the opposite side (which is where you want it!)

Maybe so, put not if you have a pathetic horn that can't even reach the bridge hole to start off with.

17 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That depends on where you are standing!

Exactly. The problem with dB specifications is that they rarely tell you the distance from the sound source that the measurement was taken, so it's very difficult for the layman to know if they are comparing like for like. Honda always quote their generator sound levels as 7m from the source for example, while many other (otherwise reputable) manufacturers do not which makes any noise level comparison impossible. Likewise it's very difficult to compare horn sound levels.

Think about it. How often (if ever) do you have to renew the horns on your car? We had a pair of second hand Audi horns on Helvetia, bought from a breaker's yard for a few quid. They were not new when I bought them, and were still working 25 years later.  I would give up on cheapo horns form ebay etc and get down to your nearest breaker's yard.

Of course the other thing is to remember that horns use a lot of power to work properly, so ensure that the cable supplying the them is substantial, and use the shortest cable run possible.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Exactly. The problem with dB specifications is that they rarely tell you the distance from the sound source that the measurement was taken, so it's very difficult for the layman to know if they are comparing like for like. Honda always quote their generator sound levels as 7m from the source for example, while many other (otherwise reputable) manufacturers do not which makes any noise level comparison impossible. Likewise it's very difficult to compare horn sound levels.

Also what scale it is measured on. Should be dB(A) for a generator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

When specifying standby generators for data centres, telephone exchanges and hospitals, I asked for either 65dB(A) at 3 metres from exhaust and air inlet/outlets, or a maximum of 60dB(A ) one metre from any point outside the site perimiter if there were neighbouring buildings.