Thames or Gold licence

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Just done a quick google to no avail. I havnt been ont Thames for six years now but am going to nip down tut K and A in the spring and down to Bristol returning again via the Thames. My question is and I know many of you have been on there this year what cost a licence nowadays? assuming say 3 days each way at two separate times are 3 day licences available now? My alternative is just to buy a gold licence as I am cruising all year and may well use it elsewhere. Any one else know the cost of a 21 metre narrowbeam Gold licence?

Taa muchly

Edited by mrsmelly

Gold license, 2017 cost(couldn't find 2018 prices) . 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/24913-gold-licence-info-pack-2017.pdf

2017 Thames licence fees. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/569952/LIT_10600.pdf

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Cheers old sport. That makes a Gold licence 351 quid more than my standard licence so I now need to know how much a couple of short stints on the Thames will cost me and maybe a stint on the Nene to see if its worth the 351 or not?

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cheers old sport. That makes a Gold licence 351 quid more than my standard licence so I now need to know how much a couple of short stints on the Thames will cost me and maybe a stint on the Nene to see if its worth the 351 or not?

A 7 DAY Nene licence last week cost me 60 quid for 70ft.(its 9 quid on a daily basis) 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, philjw said:

And I believe that Gold licences always start 1st Jan so you might end up losing out when cashing in your standard remainder

Yes I understand that but luckily mine is due January anyway which is amazing with my usual luck :)

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A 7 DAY Nene licence last week cost me 60 quid for 70ft.(its 9 quid on a daily basis) 

Excellent information. Seems I will be giving the Gold a miss then as just a few days each way ont thames and a week or so ont nene will be less than 351 squid :cheers:

• It's ages since I had a Gold - for a Thames boat it doesn't represent good value, whereas for a CaRT boater is can be a good deal
  • Difficult to predict Thames charges next year as there's considerable debate - 'some of us' think it should be a bit more than the 5%ish proposed in order not to have further diminution in services. It may be as much as 8%.
  • If as you say you're just using the River to get from one ditch to another, then a Gold won't represent such good value. However if you can be persuaded to stay just a bit longer then a Gold could at least break even. Up to Lechlade where they have proper locks that are a dream to operate.
  • Henley week is fun as all the white cruisers crash around. Ditto Henley Festival where you can the music for free and moor to the booms.. What used to be called the Thames Traditional Boat rally is also worth watching or even visiting
  • Any balance ? does it have to be a full month? of your existing will be credited to the Gold (I'm reasonably certain).   

Thanks to all the forum works with speed and efficiency as always. Thanks John 6767 and yes I think at least next year a gold will not work out well as the main time will be midlands and up the fabulous Trent and Ouse to York :cheers:

15 minutes ago, OldGoat said:
  • It's ages since I had a Gold - for a Thames boat it doesn't represent good value, whereas for a CaRT boater is can be a good deal
  • Difficult to predict Thames charges next year as there's considerable debate - 'some of us' think it should be a bit more than the 5%ish proposed in order not to have further diminution in services. It may be as much as 8%.
  • If as you say you're just using the River to get from one ditch to another, then a Gold won't represent such good value. However if you can be persuaded to stay just a bit longer then a Gold could at least break even. Up to Lechlade where they have proper locks that are a dream to operate.
  • Henley week is fun as all the white cruisers crash around. Ditto Henley Festival where you can the music for free and moor to the booms.. What used to be called the Thames Traditional Boat rally is also worth watching or even visiting
  • Any balance ? does it have to be a full month? of your existing will be credited to the Gold (I'm reasonably certain).   

One ditch to another indeed!! :D

39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

3 days!!!, Oh, sorry ,yes, you will have Paul cruising with you and he doesn't rise until 9.29 am.☺

Ahh you have heard then :lol:. Not only Paul, my bro in law and possibly others non of which can get out of bed. As in the film " Theres gonna be a convoy "

If as it sounds you're just planning to do Oxford to Reading, then back again later on, it can be done on a one day licence each time. This is because when you buy a one day Thames licence you get the remainder of that day plus all of the next. So you emerge onto the river as early in the morning as you can, buy your licence at the first manned lock you come to (lock keepers start about 9am but in their absence you can operate locks yourself), keep moving until near sunset, sleep, get moving again in the morning and you'll be off onto CRT waters before your licence runs out. IIRC a one day Thames licence this year is £31 for a typical narrow boat?

Two long-ish days will be enough; in April I did Reading to Abingdon in one day of about 11 hours then got to Thrupp the next day, but that was by stopping only at the locks, eating on the move. You don't have to go quite so mad at it as that, and going down river should be a little faster because of the current.

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

For a 70ft boat a 1 day is £45, compared to £80.50 for a week, unless you are very short or time, to me it is worth the extra to have a week rather than rushing it.

Yes, for most people that will be true. I'm odd in that I tend to be crew for someone doing a medium/long distance boat move, or on the NBT coal boats (for which licence pricing is totally different), so not inclined to hang about, but the grandeur of the Thames is really something to be savoured and EA's price structure encourages that.

Thanks folks I do like the Thames. Its not as good as the Trent as there is too much money on/near it which as usual spoils life somewhat but I think the weekly jobbie will work better just in case any of us decide we want a day somewhere like for instance Abingdon. :cheers:

1 hour ago, F DRAYKE said:

I believe you can moor in Abingdon for 3 days for nowt. It was 5 days but they have change it this year.

It was still 5 days a few weeks ago. I believe the change to 3 days is due to come into effect in the autumn.

Not that it matters to Tim, it will be 3 days by the time he is on the Thames whatever the exact date of the change.