Deck drains - height above water

Neil2

Featured Posts

I looked at a boat a few days ago and noticed that the front well deck drains had been welded up.

It turns out that a surveyor a few years previously had recommended this as the drains were not high enough above the normal waterline.  

I haven't come across this before, certainly never seen it in a surveyor's report.  Interestingly the surveyor didn't make any recommendation as to how surface water was to be removed from the well deck in future... 

Just wondered what others make of this. 

1 minute ago, Taslim said:

Yea! But! Yea! But! If the boat didn't.  or the cover sprang a leak?  Where to do the water go? Apart from under the cabin doors?:huh:

If the boat didn't, then you would either fit a pump or not have them welded, or raise the door step. 

My deck drains were welded up when I bought my boat and large pools of water used to accumulate as a consequence. I was going to fit an auto bilge pump to take it away but in the end I just drilled a couple of 6mm holes either side to provide drainage.

I suppose the deck drains are welded up to prevent water ingress when in choppy waters or if taking on water?  if taking on water the water will go to the back end of the boat bringing this end down so not sure how this would effect the bow. In choppy waters there's going to be very little water ingress through small 6mm drainage holes so am happy about leaving this as is.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Is your insurance co.? 

After getting messed about between surveyor and boatyard a couple of years ago when trying to get a survey for fully comp insurance I've decided to sod them all and go 3rd party.

Now I don't have to comply with some of the barmy rules associated with getting fully comp insurance like the deck drain rule.

Do you think my boat is in imminent danger of sinking with a couple on 6mm holes drilled in the side of deck drains ?  The distance to waterline is probably about 7 inches, maybe more.

I don't anticipate any issues with the 6mm holes in the deck drains.

Edited by Bloomsberry

7 hours ago, Bloomsberry said:

Do you think my boat is in imminent danger of sinking with a couple on 6mm holes drilled in the side of deck drains ?  The distance to waterline is probably about 7 inches, maybe more.

No, i don't. Our boat was third party only for ten years until the recent survey. I agree, some of the rules are mad, probably introduced aa a result of incompetent idiots who should be nowhere near a boat.

You will have to call your boat Llamedos:)

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

Our previous boat passed its survey with deck drains only an inch waterline (with full water tank), and only 2" threshold at the front doors. Surveyor gave verbal recommendation to increase threshold if it caused us a problem! 

Caused us slight concern at first going up in locks to see water flooding the well deck when opening paddles, and coming within an inch of coming over the threshold, but not once did we ever get any water in the boat - even in very leaky locks going up. Caused us no problems in 6 years of intensive boating, but we didn't tackle any tidal waters. 

Tom 

4 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Our previous boat passed its survey with deck drains only an inch waterline (with full water tank), and only 2" threshold at the front doors. Surveyor gave verbal recommendation to increase threshold if it caused us a problem! 

Is your insurance company ok with that? 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Tom and Bex said:

It passed the survey so that's all they were concerned about. 

But if the boat had sunk they might have taken more interest.

I would not be comfortable with only 3 inches from waterline to door threshold.

ISTR the old BSS standards required 10" for any potential flooding point and 6" for a weedhatch which is sealed when the boat is under way or left unattended.

12 hours ago, Bloomsberry said:

My deck drains were welded up when I bought my boat and large pools of water used to accumulate as a consequence. I was going to fit an auto bilge pump to take it away but in the end I just drilled a couple of 6mm holes either side to provide drainage.

I suppose the deck drains are welded up to prevent water ingress when in choppy waters or if taking on water?  if taking on water the water will go to the back end of the boat bringing this end down so not sure how this would effect the bow. In choppy waters there's going to be very little water ingress through small 6mm drainage holes so am happy about leaving this as is.

I think that's a reasonable compromise. I can't see how else you could provide drainage other than have a new deck welded in higher with new scuppers cut out at that height. The only thing is that you need to make sure your 6mm holes don't get blocked with debris. Personally I'd drill them out to 10 or 12mm.

3 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Yes, if my deck drains were too close to the waterline for peace of mind I think I'd have a 6" piece of steel welded in to increase the height of the bow door threshold and just deal with the inconvenience of stepping over it when using the bow doors. But I've no idea how that could be done without messing with the bow doors? Probably have to cut them down at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think that's a reasonable compromise. I can't see how else you could provide drainage other than have a new deck welded in higher with new scuppers cut out at that height. The only thing is that you need to make sure your 6mm holes don't get blocked with debris. Personally I'd drill them out to 10 or 12mm.

Ours were 6mm before being welded, and did suffer blockages. The alternative to welding them was to have the door step height increased, which in turn would mean modifying the doors(perhaps a job for the future) 

(ps jotomastic has arrived. Fun week for me next week) 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

ISTR the old BSS standards required 10" for any potential flooding point and 6" for a weedhatch which is sealed when the boat is under way or left unattended.

Neither would I. But when you say "old BSS standards" aren't they still current?

I thought the 10" (+ 6") BSS requirements you mention were just recommendations rather than mandatory? I may be wrong but I didn't think the BSS made any stipulations over height of flooding points and hull stability? 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

(ps jotomastic has arrived. Fun week for me next week) 

You won't be touching that paint until you've done a lot more prep - and that ain't fun! :P

If you're taking a full length butty down a tight lock with very leaky top gates, of which there are one or two on the K&A, you're going to get quite a lot of water splashing into the well deck and you need those drain holes. Fortunately Brighton has them.

Rusty - I'm dissapointed in you.

What about scupper 'flaps' or 'valves'.

Inland surveyors could learn a lot from lumpy water surveyors.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

But if the boat had sunk they might have taken more interest.

That is mandatory for hire boats and commercial boats, just 'advisable' for leisure / private boats.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Rusty - I'm dissapointed in you.

What about scupper 'flaps' or 'valves'.

Inland surveyors could learn a lot from lumpy water surveyors.

Why? Whad I do? 

I am not convinced welding was the best solution , but cheap and easily rectified until a better option  can be put in place. 

Edited by rusty69