How long to leave gas turned on for ?

W+T

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Bargebuilder said:

If you are on the inland waterways you will have to pay a certified gas engineer who will ensure that you conform to BSS requirements.

Not true at all. 

Only if building to RCD or fitting out a residential or hire boat. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not true at all. 

Only if building to RCD or fitting out a residential or hire boat. 

I only said that to make sure it was done safely by someone who knows what they are doing and how to get the boat through the BSS.

I do my own work.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

So we have one joint at the bulkhead connector ... and 1 valve / bubble test point by the bayonet connector for the cooker. 

Bulkhead fittings, if they have a ridge in the middle, are sometimes drilled out so the pipe is continuous through them, not jointed. I think you mean a manometer test point, with a screwed plug. A bubble tester is located in a gas locker, and does not require unscrewing.

Edited by AndrewIC
Typo

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How do you seal that to be gas tight?

Olives, as usual. It's only the ridge (there's probably a technical term for it) in the middle that the pipe ends would butt up against that is removed. The olives are compressed between the pipe and flared end by the nuts, as usual.

3 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Olives, as usual. It's only the ridge (there's probably a technical term for it) in the middle that the pipe ends would butt up against that is removed. The olives are compressed between the pipe and flared end by the nuts, as usual.

Gotcha :)

4 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Thats how ours is done. 

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

As does Wayne, to a very high standard. 

Then Wayne's gas installation will be safe to be left on as is yours and mine.

My gas is on in my absence, and it doesn't worry me that the fridge compressor cuts in and out all day, potentially creating an ignition spark, so if Wayne is a competent gas installer then he should be confident to remotely turn on his gas heater by sms.

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I personally wouldn't want a gas heater on a grp boat left unattended, but thats just me. For the time it will take to heat the small cabin on arrival, its barely worth it. 

I'm with you rusty.

I've got a Taylors diesel heater on my boat, and even that doesn't take long to heat the cabin. Mind you, I wouldn't even turn my back on that, let alone leave it turned on whilst not on board.

9 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I personally wouldn't want a gas heater on a grp boat left unattended, but thats just me. For the time it will take to heat the small cabin on arrival, its barely worth it. 

Why?

They are just as safe as the blown air diesel heaters if installed correctly.

ETA: In the depths of winter it takes a good few hours to fully warm a boat through from cold. Why not start that process off before you get there?

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Wayne, the Propex heaters are room sealed so there is no way for gas to enter the boat. The combustion takes place within a room sealed space and vents to the outside air.

Being room sealed doesn't make a heater safer if there has been a gas leak for whatever reason anywhere in the living quarters of the boat. If it is not ignition protected, which I would be astonished if it was, the act of starting up the heater, a tiny spark from a switch or relay, might cause an explosion.

I don't think that Wayne was asking about carbon monoxide poisoning, which is where room sealing counts.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are just as safe as the blown air diesel heaters if installed correctly.

Not quite, because with a diesel heater, you can turn it on remotely without the fear of a gas explosion, because there would have been no need to leave the gas on!

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Being room sealed doesn't make a heater safer if there has been a gas leak for whatever reason anywhere in the living quarters of the boat. If it is not ignition protected, which I would be astonished if it was, the act of starting up the heater, a tiny spark from a switch or relay, might cause an explosion.

I don't think that Wayne was asking about carbon monoxide poisoning, which is where room sealing counts.

Not quite, because with a diesel heater, you can turn it on remotely without the fear of a gas explosion, because there would have been no need to leave the gas on!

so your suggestion that in the event of a gas leak in the boat unconnected with the propex the act of firing up the propex could cause an explosion, well the same could happen by switching on a light or water pump being used, so where does that leave us?

Phil 

2 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

so your suggestion that in the event of a gas leak in the boat unconnected with the propex the act of firing up the propex could cause an explosion, well the same could happen by switching on a light or water pump being used, so where does that leave us?

Phil 

It would leave you better off by switching it on remotely :)

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It would leave you better off by switching it on remotely :)

Didnt i mention that is the reason i want it to be turned on remotely. I dont trust my gas work, that locktite is a pig to seal the joints you know.

( joking before you know what lol )

Thanks for all the replies, interesting what folk think of there gas work on there boats, my self if i was so worried about having gas on my boat i would not have it aboard. 

If it is fitted correctly then no problem, have it checked every time you board the boat with a test point. etc etc

I am not a certified LPG fitter of any type, certified looney maybe but thats not a bad thing is it :) 

1 minute ago, W+T said:

If it is fitted correctly then no problem, have it checked every time you board the boat with a test point. etc etc

But we don't do that at home.... and yes if I was leaving my house for several months and wasn't worried about frost damage I'd turn the gas off...

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

But we don't do that at home.... and yes if I was leaving my house for several months and wasn't worried about frost damage I'd turn the gas off...

houses dont vibrate, well not much in the UK lol.

I would myself when i turn the gas on. No harm in doing so.  

22 hours ago, StephenA said:

Leaks from where?

Or are we talking about completely hypothetical scenarios.

The ONLY significant gas leak we have had on Mintball in 30 years was caused by a BS examiner not fastening up the bubble tester point after completing the bubble test.... and we smelt that well before it got anywhere near dangerous.

How do you know that it was nowhere near dangerous?  I would have thought that the only indication of the fact that a gas leak was becoming dangerous was the loud bang and little bits of boat and occupants liberally distributed over the surrounding area.

N