How long to leave gas turned on for ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Just now, Robbo said:

You might want to ask a question that makes a little more sense.

OK then, how long would you leave the gas turned on for before you turn it off if you have an LPG senor to tell you there is a leak ? 

Sorry for senseless question trying to multi task. 

Just now, W+T said:

OK then, how long would you leave the gas turned on for before you turn it off if you have an LPG senor to tell you there is a leak ? 

Presume you mean when the LPG sensor is telling you there is a leak?  In that case I wouldn’t leave.  To be honest if I had a LPG sensor I would be inclined to add a auto shutoff valve to the alarm outlet.

Just now, Robbo said:

Presume you mean when the LPG sensor is telling you there is a leak?  In that case I wouldn’t leave.  To be honest if I had a LPG sensor I would be inclined to add a auto shutoff valve to the alarm outlet.

Just wondering what folk think.

I want to fit a SMS controller to the Propex cab heater on the boat.

VERY few have said it is mad to fit a remote starter for an LPG appliance as it is dangerous stuff LPG.

To leave LPG connected is dangerous

so some folk say.

We tend to turn ours off when we're leaving the boat for any signficiant length of time - so we'd leave it on if we were out on the boat but were off it for a day, but we'd turn it off when we're leaving the boat unoccupied on the home moorings or elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

We tend to turn ours off when we're leaving the boat for any signficiant length of time - so we'd leave it on if we were out on the boat but were off it for a day, but we'd turn it off when we're leaving the boat unoccupied on the home moorings or elsewhere.

do you check for leaks on return to the boat or have a sensor to tell you there is a leak when on and off the boat ?

Edited by W+T

Just now, rusty69 said:

Perhaps you have your answer. 

nope still no answer why folk say it is unsafe to leave it on and use a remote LPG appliance starter.

There are so manky fok that dont use a LPG sensor and say dont leave it turned on unattended but they dont check for leaks whe they are on the boat or leave it for a few hours or a day or so.

2 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I would turn the gas on when I arrive at the boat and off when I leave it to go home. If I had a leak detector I would turn it on when I arrive at the boat and off when I leave it to go home.

my point but a few dont get that.

29 minutes ago, W+T said:

Having worked on industrial gas detection I wouldn't even try it, in my experience they need a lot of maintenance to work reliably and that is with ones costing loads of dosh, not a few quid

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Having worked on industrial gas detection I wouldn't even try it, in my experience they need a lot of maintenance to work reliably and that is with ones costing loads of dosh, not a few quid

You wouldnt leave gas on then, so how long until you tuen it off ? And why that long ?

22 minutes ago, W+T said:

do you check for leaks on return to the boat or have a sensor to tell you there is a leak when on and off the boat ?

Leaks from where?

Or are we talking about completely hypothetical scenarios.

The ONLY significant gas leak we have had on Mintball in 30 years was caused by a BS examiner not fastening up the bubble tester point after completing the bubble test.... and we smelt that well before it got anywhere near dangerous.

Edited by StephenA

5 minutes ago, W+T said:

Any bubble tets point or the likes and joints/connections that can cause a leak.  

So we have one joint at the bulkhead connector, a t-joint and valve for the central heating and 1 valve / bubble test point by the bayonet connector for the cooker. No other joints along the way. Only leak ever in 30 years has been on the bubble test point and we smelt that long before the gas detector would have kicked off

• Greenie 1

If I understand correctly, you would like to turn on your Propex remotely by sms, but are concerned about leaving the gas on at the bottle.

Firstly, as already mentioned,  you can use a gas detector that has the capability to turn off the gas supply from within the gas locker if it is triggered. If a leak occurred in your absence the gas would be isolated, so your sms remote control would not be able to start the heater. You could even use the detector to turn off your 12v supply by the use of a relay. Use a gas lighter with the flame extinguished to 'squirt' gas at the sensor to demonstrate that it works properly.

If you like sms remotes, then get a detector that sends you a message alerting you to gas, flooding, break-ins, geo fence etc. Not something I would do, but you are probably younger than me and more 'switched on' to such technology.

A problem with many gas detectors is that they gobble up a lot of battery power, so you would need a solar panel to replace the power consumed.

I personally would run a single copper gas supply tube from the Propex to inside the gas locker with the only connection outside of the locker being the one where the pipe is connected to the heater. Inside the gas locker I would connect this copper tube to a bubble detector so that I could easily and regularly check that there are zero leaks. 

I would have no connections outside of my gas locker other than the one at the appliance. I prefer that any leaks are inside the gas locker which is drained over the side. I also refuse to use bulkhead connectors for the same reason.

If you are on the inland waterways you will have to pay a certified gas engineer who will ensure that you conform to BSS requirements. 

I don't trust the reliability of gas detectors so I don't use one, however, I do have complete confidence in my gas installation and leave it turned on all of the time, even when I am not on board for a few days.