The inevitable "thoughts on this boat" thread

magictime

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Frankly I disagree. Most of Python was tedious and dull. Punctuated however with flashes of brilliance of which the 'living in a paper bag in the middle of the road' sketch happens to be a good example. Endlessly repeating it on here could however, be perceived as tedious and dull by some...

Bit of a "Gumbian Perspective".perhaps?

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 15:51, Athy said:

...and a couple of radiators, preferably not heated by the stove; I do not live aboard, but if I did I would ensure that I had two separate modes of heating, in case one failed in the bleak midwinter.

Predictably good advice delivered in a refreshingly concise prose style.

I note, yet make no no specific grammatical judgement with regard to the supernumerary comma you have seen fit to deploy in your stanza and am prepared to overlook it on this one occasion.

B+ Good work, keep it up :)

A cold boat is at best bearable for a night, perhaps two but utterly miserable, expensive and effectively unusable as a family asset.

A cold live-aboard is exponentially worse.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Someone less gallant than moi might be inclined to suggest this particular joke has, on here, been hammered to death many times over and worn a bit thin.

:rolleyes:

An alternative view might be that some old jokes and sketches are so good that they should be repeated on a reasonably regular basis to keep them alive for the benefit of future generations. 

I would include fork handles and Del Boy falling through the bar in that category.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Endlessly repeating it on here could however, be perceived as tedious and dull by some...

I'm sure the same could be said about hundreds of posts on this forum (and others).

Just now, WotEver said:

And Trigger's broom. 

Absolutely!

I'd forgotten about that one. There are so many even just from OFAH alone, they must not be allowed to fade away. It would be so unfair on the young'uns to miss out on them.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most of Python was tedious and dull. Punctuated however with flashes of brilliance of which the 'living in a paper bag in the middle of the road' sketch happens to be a good example.

Know-it-all alert: 'Four Yorshiremen' isn't even a Monty Python sketch. It's from the pre-Python series At Last the 1948 Show, starring John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman and Tim Brooke-Taylor. The Pythons later 'adopted' it for live performances.

For any Python fans on here, I urge you to pick up the At Last the 1948 Show DVD. It is astonishingly close to Python in style and quality, and goes to show just how big a role Cleese and Chapman must have had in defining what we now tend to call 'Pythonesque' humour.

Edited by magictime

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It is an ex-joke. It has ceased to be. 

Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of new jokes. 

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Keep 'em coming... if only to annoy Mike!

He's not Mike, he's a very naughty boy! 

• Greenie 1

On 8/24/2017 at 12:06, mrsmelly said:

When I was a lad we used to dream of toys...........they were for wealthy people. We lived in a shoe box at the side of the road.

Gosh ! I wish we had a shoe box to live it. Gutter for us...  You lucky S..D

:)

On 26/08/2017 at 08:19, Lily Rose said:

Keep 'em coming... if only to annoy Mike!

Yes do. Any opportunity to be churlish most welcome. :D

The 'living in a box in the road' sketch must get mentioned on here at least once a week I reckon. Fat chance of it being forgotten!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The 'living in a box in the road' sketch must get mentioned on here at least once a week

As does the battery, Smartgauge and bog jokes, but I spose it is a boaty forum, not a dusty defunct archive. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes do. Any opportunity to be churlish most welcome. :D

The 'living in a box in the road' sketch must get mentioned on here at least once a week I reckon. Fat chance of it being forgotten!

Some might say you started it. I wouldn't of course! (anyway, I was only joking. Perhaps I need to use emojis more).

I don't remember seeing it more than a handful of times, if that. Must be reading the wrong forums.

Edited by Lily Rose

On 24/08/2017 at 11:53, bizzard said:

Window shopping for a boat? I was about 9 years old the last time I went window shopping for a boat. It was a toy shop window, a wonderful toy shop, called Ajax in Ilford. The window was full of toys, even a working model railway which could be set in motion by putting a penny in the slot outside. At a certain run up to Christmas they had on display the big and beautiful Triang clockwork model of the ocean liner ''Pretoria Castle'' in that window.  These ships were mainly on the London Tilbury to Cape Town South Africa run which is where the old saying ''Port out, Starboard home'' came from. Passengers clamoured for portside cabins on the way out and starboard cabins on the way back to London because one got regular glimpses of the coast all the way round but nothing but boring ocean on the opposite side.  I haunted that shop window, gloating over that ship for weeks, my nose prints covered the window and my breath fogged it up.    I never did get that beautiful ship in the end, I changed my mind at the last minute plumping for the oo gauge railway Triang Princess Elizabeth loco instead.  :)

They both cost 39/6d.

You've lived your life to the full it seems.

PO / SH I thought was due to sun, on one side of the vessel. Most passengers spent the day on the deck, playing quoits and such like.

Those were the days.

Edited by LadyG

22 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You've lived your life to the full it seems.

PO / SH I thought was due to sun, on one side of the vessel. Most passengers spent the day on the deck, playing quoits and such like.

Those were the days.

1553_l pretoria castle..jpg

• Greenie 1

On 26/08/2017 at 00:16, tomsk said:

Predictably good advice delivered in a refreshingly concise prose style.

I note, yet make no no specific grammatical judgement with regard to the supernumerary comma you have seen fit to deploy in your stanza and am prepared to overlook it on this one occasion.

Thank you. I do not admit to any supernumary comma, they're all working for their living. I must admit to plagiarism: the phrase "In the bleak midwinter" has been used before. I think someone called C. Carol coined it.

On 23/08/2017 at 15:37, magictime said:

Thanks. Incidentally, I'm just looking at GHBS's small print and if I understand it correctly, you can't really make an offer 'subject to survey' (i.e. in the expectation of a further £100 reduction for every £100 of work needed), because every £100 knocked off the asking price prior to the survey is treated as £100 you already have available to do any work.

No, dont agree.

We bought our boat via GHBS. We offered £2k under the asking price (£45K) and this was accepted. The survey showed 2 'significant' faults, the squirrel stove was cracked at the back (hence a big safety issue) and the eberspacher did not work (when you tried to turn it on). I argued that boat was advertised (and being sold) with these items which presumably means they work and they should not be in the brochure if clearly they dont work. We agreed £1K off the sale price (half the price of sorting the problems out if replaced with new kit).

My approach with the broker was that the price agreed prior to survey was the price based on the info in the brochure and looking at the boat. Anything the survey showed up was separate. The broker agreed the revised offer with the owner and we bought the boat. We fitted a new stove and sorted the eberspacher.

26 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, dont agree.

We bought our boat via GHBS. We offered £2k under the asking price (£45K) and this was accepted. The survey showed 2 'significant' faults, the squirrel stove was cracked at the back (hence a big safety issue) and the eberspacher did not work (when you tried to turn it on). I argued that boat was advertised (and being sold) with these items which presumably means they work and they should not be in the brochure if clearly they dont work. We agreed £1K off the sale price (half the price of sorting the problems out if replaced with new kit).

My approach with the broker was that the price agreed prior to survey was the price based on the info in the brochure and looking at the boat. Anything the survey showed up was separate. The broker agreed the revised offer with the owner and we bought the boat. We fitted a new stove and sorted the eberspacher.

My experience with buying from GHBS too, as described in post #9.