Seeking opinions on porthole verses rectangle windows

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

Hi again,

Just seeking some opinions from people already in the lifestyle regarding different window types.

Looking to one day purchase and live aboard a boat my preference is for traditional looking port hole windows throughout. My choice being driven by esthetics and also the added benefit of security as portholes would not allow entry to would be intruders while the boat is unattended.

However having no actual experience of my own can anyone say how limiting they would be in letting in natural light or any other pros and cons of the different window types.

Cheers Mick

Just on a personal note I think a mix of both looks good. On my first cruise on the cut have seen a number of port hole only & tend to think they look almost prison like, and must be dark....but that is only a personal feel & not been on board one.

If security is your concern then I guess it would be a good option.....good luck.

See if you can find a newer boat you like with larger portholes. Our boat has eight which are 18 or 19 inch. They let loads of light in, aided by three pigeon boxes and are all very secure. 

Not sure about the security of two glazed side hatches and the bow doors though!!

Large portholes are not necessarily any more secure. A boating neighbour locked herself out of her boat. We managed to remove the drop back glass from a bathroom porthole from the outside and a slim hipped person (not me!) slipped through to open a door. Having fixed glass would help, but then you turn the interior in to an oven on the couple of hot days we get each year.

For better security, either small portholes, or "bus" windows with drop back top panes. Then of course you have doors, slide and side hatches to consider too. Hard to secure a boat against a crowbar, or a half brick through a window.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

5 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi again,

Just seeking some opinions from people already in the lifestyle regarding different window types.

Looking to one day purchase and live aboard a boat my preference is for traditional looking port hole windows throughout. My choice being driven by esthetics and also the added benefit of security as portholes would not allow entry to would be intruders while the boat is unattended.

However having no actual experience of my own can anyone say how limiting they would be in letting in natural light or any other pros and cons of the different window types.

Cheers Mick

I have lived for several years with all differing types. About ten years ago I decided to go for the whole solid brass porthole look throughout so bought a Steve Hudson boat. Fab boat and also had prisms set into the roof. The missus didn't like being inside so much though as it was very much darker than our previous boats. Portholes look fab and as a hobby boater are fab but living aboard in the winter especialy we now on this boat have large bus windows which are double glazed so hard to gain entry through anyway. As other have said a mix is good but otherwise bus windows for a liveaboard every time.

Liveaboard, all portholes, no problems with light issues. I should imagine that large windows must give privacy concerns given the number of boats who always have their blinds/curtains closed all the time.

Nobody has mentioned ventilation.

• Standard portholes give no ventilation
  • Those with drop back vents are much more expensive and give little
  • A mix of porholes and 'bus' windows give a better solution while making the boat look more like a ---- boat
  • When it's tipping it down with rain you need a system that ventilates and excludes water...

7 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi again,

Cheers Mick

I would get some Houdini type hatches no matter what window type you go for if you like natural light.  A roof skylight lets in a lot more light than the side windows.   I wouldn't recommend having any hatches over beds tho, etc. as they do like to get condensation on in winter.

I think a mix is best. We have bus type to lounge, dinette and kitchen and large portholes to bathroom, bedroom and utility room.

Plenty of light where you need it and privacy where required. A mix also seems to make the boat look more 'interesting' than having all one or the other. 

Ken

Of course, bus windows will let in more light, unless they are very small ones.

If you do opt for the portholed look for aesthetic reasons (as we have done on our current boat), size matters. Small portholes will tend to make the boat gloomy inside. If the portholes are too large they are ( pace MHS ) sometimes not so aesthetically pleasing. Ours are about a foot across, and let in a fair amount of light, aided by dog-boxes over the galley and over the engine room, each of which has four small portholes.

All portholes, aesthetically better, far improved insulation. Boat keeps cooler in hot weather and warmer in winter. Fit out makes a big difference to lightness or gloominess. Echo the comments on roof lights/dog boxes/houdini hatches and we have two sets of side hatches with glazing which tend to be open a lot. Another advantage of port holes is more better cupboard possibilities.

it is dark in the winter but then it is dark and cold/wet outside. Cosy with fire and a bottle of wine (other beverages available).

Apologies for my bad grammar, if you have a bigger wall space between smaller areas of glass, there are greater options and space for the fit out or furniture. One of the reasons a bmc had no windows at all I believe. 

Subject is definitely personal though along with all the other usual items.................

12 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

Apologies for my bad grammar, if you have a bigger wall space between smaller areas of glass, there are greater options and space for the fit out or furniture. One of the reasons a bmc had no windows at all I believe. 

Subject is definitely personal though along with all the other usual items.................

I see no bad grammar. I just wondered about the spaces between the areas of glass because with portholes these will have round edges, making it more difficult to fit cupboards etc. between them, especially if they are of the size mentioned by MHS.

Yes, as with other boat choices such as type of loo and type of stern deck, the subject is certainly a personal one.

12 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi again,

Looking to one day purchase and live aboard a boat my preference is for traditional looking port hole windows throughout. My choice being driven by esthetics and also the added benefit of security as portholes would not allow entry to would be intruders while the boat is unattended.

Cheers Mick

If you want to look really traditional,  you shouldn't have any windows, only cloths :P

We have 15" portholes which are too small to get through so very secure.  We also have two side hatches on each side which are about 20" wide, so on a dry day plenty of ventilation.  The spray foam insulation is thicker than normal and we have a couple of large solar panels on the roof, which as a side effect keep the sun off the roof of part of the the boat.  In summer the air temperature inside is only a few degrees warmer than the outside air temp.  With the side hatches shut it is a bit dark inside.

All the boats I have been on with only portholes were far too dark for me. I need natural light 

Kelpie has 6 big windows at the front and 4portholes in the loo and bedroom area 

This is perfect for me but I appreciate that not everyone needs natural light as much as I seem to 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis