Gas connections

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Hi MIke, thanks for your input. I was correct, it stands for Gas Installations Unsafe Situations Procedures. Also known as L56

Incorrect. You appear on here porporting to be an "expert" and you don't even know which Act/Regulations you are quoting or even working under.

If you don't beleive me  here is a space below asking you to quote the year, statutory instrument number and name of Regulation you are quoting

Year   ..........................

SI Number   ..................

Name of Regs .....................

A "non answer" willl confirm your difficulty in self verirication of your statements.

Edited by mark99

2 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Title: The Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure – Edition 7.1 Date Revised: 10th December 2015 

thought you said you were a gas Safe Registered Engineer with the same qualifications as me. 

If you are, log in to GSR and look up TB001

Lol. L56 are the Regulations not the proceedure. Carry on though it's showing you for what you are.

On 01/09/2017 at 17:58, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Hi Bod. 

There are are lots of different ones on the market. Simplest is available from Midland Chandlers and you simply take your gas pigtail out of the Cylinder and screw the gauge onto the end of the pigtail. 

Then put the gauge into the Cylinder outlet, tighten up the pigtail and gauge and turn the gas on. The gauge will register pressure. Now turn the Cylinder off and if you have a leak the pressure on the gauge will reduce to zero (depending on the severity of any leak it can be slow or fast). 

Cheap and unsophisticated compared to an Alde Leak Detector but they do the job. Of course if you have a leak indicated call a gas engineer to check your system out. 

Are these gauges acceptable for BSS purpose's in place of Bubble testers?

Or will I still need a test point?

Bod

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Booooooooom

Man parashooting one day, but prashoot no work. Trys the other one and this no work. He still fall then sees nother man flying up to him. Thank fuk he say, you know how to make prashote work? He say "No do you know how to fit buble tester? (sorry my gurlfriend usually type me, but she run off with gas fiter.)

• Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Man parashooting one day, but prashoot no work. Trys the other one and this no work. He still fall then sees nother man flying up to him. Thank fuk he say, you know how to make prashote work? He say "No do you know how to fit buble tester? (sorry my gurlfriend usually type me, but she run off with gas fiter.)

Thus proving variants of this joke are truly international.

(A version of it first told to me by my Brother-on-Law Chris, a dual nationality racing car design engineer who lives and works in the States - OK it was "gas cooker" not "bubble tester" in his version!.....)

21 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Been to see my sailaways first taste of the canal. Boy have I missed the banter.

Do you fit the buble testing thing or use monammeter?

Edited by Dylan

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Do you fit buble testing thing or use monammeter?

Not sure what your getting at. My gas safe engineer has  fitted a point at which he said a qualified engineer can test for gas leakage. I could have a bubble tester fitted if I so desired which I could view to help me regularly ascertain whether I might have a leak. Not done so -as yet but would not attempt it myself. This is based solely on over 40 years in the house building business where I have come to realize that whilst a "job" seems simple it`s experience in the university of life as well as tuition that helps avoid that human trait of making a mistake. It can be luck you get it right first time. Ask my wife of nearly 50 years - it must be right-she tells me all the time.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Not sure what your getting at. My gas safe engineer has  fitted a point at which he said a qualified engineer can test for gas leakage. I could have a bubble tester fitted if I so desired which I could view to help me regularly ascertain whether I might have a leak. Not done so -as yet but would not attempt it myself. This is based solely on over 40 years in the house building business where I have come to realize that whilst a "job" seems simple it`s experience in the university of life as well as tuition that helps avoid that human trait of making a mistake. It can be luck you get it right first time. Ask my wife of nearly 50 years - it must be right-she tells me all the time.

Your mistake is to imagine that an engineer is the person who will test your gas system for leaks.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Your mistake is to imagine that an engineer is the person who will test your gas system for leaks.

It's all very unfortunate that GSR now insist on calling us 'engineers', which we are patently not. Even the monthly comic they send out to us has had its name changed from "The Gas Installer" to "Gas Engineer". 

Sadly a lot of my peers are consequently getting ideas above their station and genuinely believe themselves to be qualified engineers. 

(There was a thread recently on a closed gas bod forum called "The Combustion Chamber" on DIYnot.com about passport applications which need to be countersigned by a member of a profession. The general consensus was we GSR bods were able to countersign passport applicstions as we are 'engineers' and therefore members of a 'profession'. Jeez.)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's all very unfortunate that GSR now insist on calling us 'engineers', which we are patently not. Even the monthly comic they send out to us has had its name changed from "The Gas Installer" to "Gas Engineer". 

Sadly a lot of my peers are consequently getting ideas above their station and genuinely believe themselves to be qualified engineers. 

Well doesn't stop me from pointing it out. Repeatedly! And of course it is fair to say that the world need both technicians and engineers equally. 

Just now, nicknorman said:

Well doesn't stop me from pointing it out. Repeatedly! And of course it is fair to say that the world need both technicians and engineers equally. 

Please carry on. I too find it intensely irritating to be called an 'engineer' when I am a technician. 

I correct people at every available opportunity.

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I was told by the Gas Safe engineer installing my system that a "suitable" BSS surveyor or Gas Safe engineer would be both properly equipped and qualified to test my gas system without the necessity of using a bubble tester using the test points installed. If I had not made myself clear the discussion I had with him was regarding whether as I asked him should a bubble tester be installed he said that  it was a simple device which an unqualified person could watch periodically to see if a leak was suspected and if suspicious call out an engineer. I`m afraid you will have to please elaborate on the mistake I`ve made although perhaps on reading additional comments I assume it`s my reference to the word engineer. If so then I feel your criticism of the layman is really rather impolite and uncalled for. But you are entitled to your opinion ofcourse and I`d be interested as to how you refer to yourself? 

Someone I recall was asked "and what are you" when he replied with his trade it was pointed out he was first and foremost a male human but that society had "trained us to refer to ourselves by the work we did.

An engineer is someone who is a member of a chartered institute of engineers. Or arguably someone with a degree in an engineering subject.

GSR bods have just passed a week of exams in how not to kill a customer*. I did mine with six weeks in training skool and a month of exams. I did little more than turn up and attention (and stumpt up £5k in fees). Hardly in the same league. 

*Nowadays six months of site experience is also needed and a portfolio of work signed off by another gas bod to get started. Then the week of exams once every five years.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think buble tester is super. Hold button bit down and count whne watching for bubles. Try hard not to blink or could miss one. I fall in river once when watching bubler my grilfriend shout SILLY BASTERD! :)

Easy to lose your balance with your head upside down in a gas locker and shining a torch.

This is of course why bubble testers never get used.

10 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I was told by the Gas Safe engineer installing my system that a "suitable" BSS surveyor or Gas Safe engineer would be both properly equipped and qualified to test my gas system without the necessity of using a bubble tester using the test points installed. If I had not made myself clear the discussion I had with him was regarding whether as I asked him should a bubble tester be installed he said that  it was a simple device which an unqualified person could watch periodically to see if a leak was suspected and if suspicious call out an engineer. I`m afraid you will have to please elaborate on the mistake I`ve made although perhaps on reading additional comments I assume it`s my reference to the word engineer. If so then I feel your criticism of the layman is really rather impolite and uncalled for. But you are entitled to your opinion ofcourse and I`d be interested as to how you refer to yourself? 

Someone I recall was asked "and what are you" when he replied with his trade it was pointed out he was first and foremost a male human but that society had "trained us to refer to ourselves by the work we did.

I think you are taking offence too easily. People who aren't engineers are often called engineers by themselves or others. It is a failing of British society that the differentiation between technicians and engineers is very blurred. Unlike other European countries where the differentiation is clear cut. My mission is to correct incorrect uses of the term engineers, in the same way that I would correct someone who referred to an elephant as an ostrich.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

GSR bods have just passed a week of exams in how not to kill a customer. I did mine with six weeks in training skool and a month of exams. I did little more than turn up and attention (and stumpt up £5k in fees). Hardly in the same league. 

Technician -one definition   "an expert in the practical application of a science"  Is that the category your suggesting  you fit?