Gas connections

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Ahh. Well there you go! The expert amateur shoots his other foot off. 

As as much as I like this sort of sport, it gets rather tiresome after a while. 

Education ....... The GI(US)P also known in the trade by Bona Fide Gas Engineers (which you aren't) as L56, is the Gas Installation (Unsafe Situations) Procedures. 

That is what Gas Engineers are guided by when we come to a boat that has been 'cobbled together' by a well meaning expert amateur when we Disconnect the supply, issue a warning notice, if necessary report the issue to the HSE and then walk away, content in the knowledge that we have strengthened the gene pool by prolonging its population by one (at least) amateur expert to help all us qualified guys out! 

Done with you now, only to offer one last bit of advice (which you are bound to ignore).......

Never, ever, enter into a battle of wits with someone when you are so obviously half armed!

you will get that in a bit  

TTFN!

I imagine you are walking away from this with a whole host of potential new customers....... (NOT!)

3 hours ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

!

as I stated earlier, you can't design out an idiot!

Yes, indeed you did, and I did not understand it then either. Could you please clarify what you mean by this statement?

Well I just examine them and have provided the wording on Page 3 of the certificate. 

For the record, I don't need a bubble Tester in any vessel to test the gas as I am a qualified Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Are you?

As for drumming up business, I don't want it, in fact, if all of the clever people giving advice on here like you actually knew anything or took the time to read the standards, you would find that BS10239 mandates the installation of 'a simple means for the user to test the system for leakage' which is not necessarily a bubble Tester. 

The only BSS examiners actively promoting the installation of Bubble Testers are those few who wish to force people into buying somethingwho do not hold GSR or ACS qualification in LPG who want to continue testing liveaboard boats (which they are prohibited from doing unless a Bubble Tester is installed).

There are cheaper, simpler, idiot proof options available that can be fitted by anyone (such as a gas gauge) without affecting the validity of their BSS certificate! Have you been promoting or advising those? Probably not because you are a practicing 'Non Gas Safe Registered, Non ACS trained, Non CCLP1-B 'expert' who is actively helping good people do dangerous things with absolutely no compunction of your own liability!

Time served City and Guilds/NVQ apprenticeship or a 1 week course?

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, indeed you did, and I did not understand it then either. Could you please clarify what you mean by this statement?

9 minutes ago, Jon12345 said:

Time served City and Guilds/NVQ apprenticeship or a 1 week course?

Time served? Yes, CGLI? Yes in All my practicing disciplines which are not restricted to gas alone! Apprenticeship? Yes (the 4 year one). 

18 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Worse than mine.

That's cos I'm welshWelsh

And I have a stammer 

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

General engineering appreciation of someone who is not qualified who thinks they can tell the qualified engineer where he is wrong. 

Most dangerous situations are created by one. 

11 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Ahh. Well there you go! The expert amateur shoots his other foot off. 

As as much as I like this sort of sport, it gets rather tiresome after a while. 

Education ....... The GI(US)P also known in the trade by Bona Fide Gas Engineers (which you aren't) as L56, is the Gas Installation (Unsafe Situations) Procedures. 

That is what Gas Engineers are guided by when we come to a boat that has been 'cobbled together' by a well meaning expert amateur when we Disconnect the supply, issue a warning notice, if necessary report the issue to the HSE and then walk away, content in the knowledge that we have strengthened the gene pool by prolonging its population by one (at least) amateur expert to help all us qualified guys out! 

Done with you now, only to offer one last bit of advice (which you are bound to ignore).......

Never, ever, enter into a battle of wits with someone when you are so obviously half armed!

you will get that in a bit  

TTFN!

GI(US)P - completely useless to someone who is not a GS technician. Thank you for the irrelevant smokescreen. I am not a GS bod, I don't work on gas. I do know there are plenty of cowboys with both those attributes though! And I am familiar with the law and I do know your statement earlier is untrue and whether it was a mistake that you don't want to admit to for face loss reasons, and are just piling on the insults and smokescreens in the hope no-one will notice, or whether you really do think your earlier statement was correct, I don't know, but either way I for one would never employ you with that attitude.

Well I just examine them and have provided the wording on Page 3 of the certificate. 

For the record, I don't need a bubble Tester in any vessel to test the gas as I am a qualified Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Are you?

As for drumming up business, I don't want it, in fact, if all of the clever people giving advice on here like you actually knew anything or took the time to read the standards, you would find that BS10239 mandates the installation of 'a simple means for the user to test the system for leakage' which is not necessarily a bubble Tester. 

The only BSS examiners actively promoting the installation of Bubble Testers are those few who wish to force people into buying somethingwho do not hold GSR or ACS qualification in LPG who want to continue testing liveaboard boats (which they are prohibited from doing unless a Bubble Tester is installed).

There are cheaper, simpler, idiot proof options available that can be fitted by anyone (such as a gas gauge) without affecting the validity of their BSS certificate! Have you been promoting or advising those? Probably not because you are a practicing 'Non Gas Safe Registered, Non ACS trained, Non CCLP1-B 'expert' who is actively helping good people do dangerous things with absolutely no compunction of your own liability!

Could you give a link to these bubble tester alternatives please.

My boat doesn't have a bubble tester, for access reasons, so a different form of tester, could be very handy.

Bod

5 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Time served? Yes, CGLI? Yes in All my practicing disciplines which are not restricted to gas alone! Apprenticeship? Yes (the 4 year one). 

And I have a stammer 

General engineering appreciation of someone who is not qualified who thinks they can tell the qualified engineer where he is wrong. 

You are not an engineer, you are a technician. I am an engineer.

7 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

And I have a stammer 

Not in gas though.

19 hours ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Choking the gas may seem that they won't burn quite as fierce as they should, in actual fact it means that the gas will not burn as it should and it will produce deadly amounts of CO. 

Twaddle.

• Greenie 4

17 minutes ago, Bod said:

Could you give a link to these bubble tester alternatives please.

My boat doesn't have a bubble tester, for access reasons, so a different form of tester, could be very handy.

Bod

Hi Bod. 

There are are lots of different ones on the market. Simplest is available from Midland Chandlers and you simply take your gas pigtail out of the Cylinder and screw the gauge onto the end of the pigtail. 

Then put the gauge into the Cylinder outlet, tighten up the pigtail and gauge and turn the gas on. The gauge will register pressure. Now turn the Cylinder off and if you have a leak the pressure on the gauge will reduce to zero (depending on the severity of any leak it can be slow or fast). 

Cheap and unsophisticated compared to an Alde Leak Detector but they do the job. Of course if you have a leak indicated call a gas engineer to check your system out. 

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

How long have you been on the visitor moorings on the Ellesmere branch??

That depends. When did they move the marina I'm moored in?

2 hours ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Familiar with eh???? Have to tried GI(US)P?

look it up. 

Only get smoke screens after fires. 

I refer to my earier statements 

Let me google that for you:

http://bfy.tw/DhOE

As you'll see if you click the link, GI(US)P is all about guns and possibly green tea. I think you probably meant GSIUR, in which case you are a making a bit of a fool of yourself here in my professional opinion.

Your style of hysterical scaremongering is widespread amongst gas technicians and sadly brings the more balanced and competent competent gas technicians into disrepute.

And in case you are wondering, yes I hold all the same bits of paper as you.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

That depends. When did they move the marina I'm moored in?

So not only is the English on your website of the same standard as on here , you are also posting incorrect information on your own website.......

1 hour ago, Steve@iwabss-limited.co.uk said:

Thank you for that explanation. Another member thought that you were calling members idiots, which I am pleased to find is not the case as it would, of course, not be acceptable.