Anyone tried a kildwick compost loo?

Ayesha walker

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Because spreading muck following approved methods is completly different from double bagging human waste and throwing it in a bin to be dumped in a mixed use landfill

In addition, cow slurry is different in fundamental nature to human slurry. 

we wouldn't want dog shit spread on the fields would we? So why would human shit be ok?

19 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Because spreading muck following approved methods is completly different from double bagging human waste and throwing it in a bin to be dumped in a mixed use landfill

The exchange had moved on to the hypothetical recycling of human waste in bulk should composting ever really catch on, not the occasional slinging of a bag of poo in the bin.

Not that I'm suggesting that you would do such a thing, but putting polyethylene bags containing non-recyclable plastics in the rubbish might be seen as being less kind to the environment than might a bag of fully bio-degradable anything.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

we wouldn't want dog shit spread on the fields would we? So why would human shit be ok?

Finally, you've got it!

That is why humanure is usually used to fertilise fields that are to be planted with non-food crops.

22 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

The exchange had moved on to the hypothetical recycling of human waste in bulk should composting ever really catch on, not the occasional slinging of a bag of poo in the bin.

Not that I'm suggesting that you would do such a thing, but putting polyethylene bags containing non-recyclable plastics in the rubbish might be seen as being less kind to the environment than might a bag of fully bio-degradable anything.

Finally, you've got it!

That is why humanure is usually used to fertilise fields that are to be planted with non-food crops.

But its not fully biodegradable if its enclosed in a plastic bag and it is still filling up landfill, it should eithet be composted properly and used as organic matter on someones private garden or put into the normal sewage system,  not in landfill

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Properly composted human effluent shouldn't cause any issues as long as the system is monitored. Muck is muck, ideally it should be put through a digestor first to fuel a CHP plant but thats just me being an idealist

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Properly composted human effluent shouldn't cause any issues as long as the system is monitored. Muck is muck, ideally it should be put through a digestor first to fuel a CHP plant but thats just me being an idealist

I know I'd rather find myself trudging across a field covered in unprocessed cow poo than unprocessed human or dog poo. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know I'd rather find myself trudging across a field covered in unprocessed cow poo than unprocessed human or dog poo. 

Each year I watch several farms being delivered lorry loads of human poo. It's not 'unprocessed' as it has had pathogens removed and is pretty much desiccated. The pike generally sits festering for at least 6 months prior to being spread and the fields are usually (but not always) planted with a cereal or seed crop (barley, rape etc). 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Each year I watch several farms being delivered lorry loads of human poo. It's not 'unprocessed' as it has had pathogens removed and is pretty much desiccated. The pike generally sits festering for at least 6 months prior to being spread and the fields are usually (but not always) planted with a cereal or seed crop (barley, rape etc). 

Sounds fishy to me :P

4 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

I don't think that anyone would seriously predict that everyone would suddenly start composting.

I should point out also that sewage farms were invented well after flushing toilets, their purpose being to clean up the environment and reduce the serious public health issues that the trend towards flushing into the streets created.

Before the water closet, toilet waste was held in pits where it partially dried out and composted before it was collected periodically by lucky chaps who carted it away and flogged it to a farmers to fertilise their crops. Not a system that would be acceptable today, but it was far better than the stench and disease of the early days of water closets!

Sewage is still not spread on the land but injected under the surface 

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

But its not fully biodegradable if its enclosed in a plastic bag and it is still filling up landfill, it should eithet be composted properly and used as organic matter on someones private garden or put into the normal sewage system,  not in landfill

The poly bag that contains the humanure is clearly not biodegradable, any more than the bin liner is that I'll bet you put your household waste in, but you still do it. Indeed, it is the local council that require one to bag ones rubbish and ones human waste.

I agree that the council's requirement to double bag and include ones toilet waste with the waste that is destined for landfill is far less than ideal, but then those same councils are gradually removing dog poo bins in favour of signs insisting that pet owners should deposit their little bags of yuck into standard street waste bins. 

I suspect that the country's dogs contribute infinitely more poly wrapped poo to the waste system than do users of composting toilets. 

4 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

The poly bag that contains the humanure is clearly not biodegradable, any more than the bin liner is that I'll bet you put your household waste in, but you still do it. Indeed, it is the local council that require one to bag ones rubbish and ones human waste.

I agree that the council's requirement to double bag and include ones toilet waste with the waste that is destined for landfill is far less than ideal, but then those same councils are gradually removing dog poo bins in favour of signs insisting that pet owners should deposit their little bags of yuck into standard street waste bins. 

I suspect that the country's dogs contribute infinitely more poly wrapped poo to the waste system than do users of composting toilets. 

I think that is very true, but until you can find away round it IMO its not composting. Maybe if there were enough where producing it we would have compost boats on the system who would take it where it really could be composted and used.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

All of your points I largly agree with, apart from the suitability of domestic waste to landfill as a solution to dispose of human waste.

All of the above also assumes that users of compost bogs do actually compost because I guarantee a fair few dont, in which case its dumping raw sewage into domestic waste bins.

They are a great idea if you have the ability to properly compost the waste and dispose of it and personally I don't think that disposal should be in any other than private gardens either your own or with agreement of the owner.

• Greenie 1

No need to dump in landfill, the partially composted stuff could be put in the brown bin, for garden waste, which then gets composted at high temperature naturally. It's then the cheapest composted available in Rochdale at £11 for 3 X 60ltr bags. 

I would have no problem, however, putting it straight on the garden if it was properly composted.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

No need to dump in landfill, the partially composted stuff could be put in the brown bin, for garden waste, which then gets composted at high temperature naturally. It's then the cheapest composted available in Rochdale at £11 for 3 X 60ltr bags. 

I would have no problem, however, putting it straight on the garden if it was properly composted.

It could indeed Jim but the knockers on here would still complain about maybe if CRT put a charge on elsan disposal things would change.........................................I think I will suggest it on the license review form mmmmm

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At what stage does it change from 'raw sewage' to 'partially composted' ?

Would you imagine that those 'boundaries' would not be 'pushed' ?

As has been said several times in this thread. So we shouldn't do something good because a few might do something bad? What sort of morality is that? Let's close down the NHS because some abuse it?

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

Let's close down the NHS because some abuse it?

Now you're just being silly Jim. Surely nobody would abuse the NHS.  ;)

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think that is very true, but until you can find away round it IMO its not composting. Maybe if there were enough where producing it we would have compost boats on the system who would take it where it really could be composted and used.

I thought we already had a lot of sh!t boats on the system. :giggles:

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Not many CC have a brown bin and not all householders do. We dont but I do have a garden and compost heap but dont plan to take bags of poo on a 4 hr car journey

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not many CC have a brown bin and not all householders do. We dont but I do have a garden and compost heap but dont plan to take bags of poo on a 4 hr car journey

Fair enough, but those who do and are prepared to carry a sealed bucket of dried turds and sawdust home can. 

Right, prejudices aside, I think composting bogs attempt to do the same sort of shit processing that sewage farms do. 

Fine if the processing really IS the same but it obviously isn't. Yer average user prolly properly composts a few buckets full then runs out of storage space and atarts compromising. Eventually the compromising gets so big they end up dumping virtually raw shit in the bins as they can't be arsed to spend 3-6 months having all the buckets littering up the fordeck. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Eventually the compromising gets so big they end up dumping virtually raw shit in the bins as they can't be arsed to spend 3-6 months having all the buckets littering up the fordeck.

Exactly my point but more succinctly put.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At what stage does it change from 'raw sewage' to 'partially composted' ?

Would you imagine that those 'boundaries' would not be 'pushed' ?

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly my point but more succinctly put.

Yes but what exactly is your point. We've agreed some people never do anything right. So............. What..............? Conclusion.............?

This thread is set to run and run. Keeps everyone happy, the composters get to promote their wares, they are happy, the usual shit stirrers get to whinge, whine and be negative, they are happy too!

The mods should be on overtime monitoring this thread, time and a turd.

• Greenie 2