Many Thanks Posters & Swanley Bridge - Newbie on the Cut!!

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Following a load of last minute hitches and the underlining of what 'BOAT' stands for, I have just finished my first 5-6 days on the cut with my extremely healthy 86yr old Dad, we've managed to do everything wrong that is possible during our trip from Nantwich to Chester and back through Nantwich heading south.....currently at Market Drayton....but are loving every minute of it.

Friday sees my three young kiddies aboard which is what I am looking forward to most this summer, but not the 6 months or more of post which has been building up since we separated....god knows what waits for me in all those envelopes :huh:

What I wanted to say is a HUGE thank you to all on here who have given me some great advice and helped me through a lot of dodgy moments following my first experience with a broker....all I can say in addition is, Thank You Swanley Bridge Marina as well....The brokerage were spot on with great cover between Andy and Malcolm, they worked for both seller and buyer but were simply brilliant since. Malcolm even came to my rescue when a wind from hell blew me sideways across the Marina just 15mins into my life as a boat owner .....5ft from success of getting to the petrol pump before well....lets say 4 boat owners and the guy living in the cottage off the Marina were somewhat concerned, and all this after a truly remarkable piece of Helmanship at reversing out of my berth ;)....well I didn't hit anything :D....amazed myself, puffed my chest out and then the above.

Danny in the workshop has helped me spend loads of extra money!....but in seriousness, he has found the faults that could have ruined my life in a few months and is putting himself out all over the shop to make sure I am out on the cut and able to pick my kiddies up....same thanks goes to Eric who fixed a leaky water pump at the last minute! Just glad it leaked before we left the Marina. Great job and went the extra mile.

This whole experience was fantastic and the communications between all of the office, linked engineering, painting and other staff was everything that was missing in the first experience. Smiles and welcomes, help and guidance, reassurance and a kick up the backside to stop worrying and get out and enjoy!

Thank you all again on here and in Swanley Bridge .......watch out everyone!!!!

Have left the Hire Company name on the side so that people give me a wide berth ;):cheers:

Time to go buy my Old Pops a pint or two and a meal....13 locks today so he's earned it

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Three young kiddies. I hope you have WiFi, that was the first thing my 3 younger grandkids asked about when they came out with me 3 weeks ago.

:D I have but not told them....they are on the boat for detox ;)...they think I have little or no electric, which is true...ish.

They'll earn their time....if we get to A then I can get them internetty else we moor up next to empty fields.

11 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Still waiting to learn what the 14 day rule is :mellow:

Mine is boat back out of water for stern gear replacement then....where next!? ;)

The world is your lobster :)