SMS controller thread ?

W+T

Featured Posts

On 8/21/2017 at 22:14, nicknorman said:

Not that i know much this looks great for what i need.

How easy is it to set up, do you need to be a tech whiz.

I have been shown this sensor for the LPG and bilge aswell, cheap and basic once you get to know how to wire it in that is lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MQ-2-MQ2-Gas-Sensor-Module-For-LPG-Propane-Hydrogen-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi/161942495151?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dc14a8295ee0440abb26487f5f2db8465%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D311020628170&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

3 hours ago, W+T said:

Not that i know much this looks great for what i need.

How easy is it to set up, do you need to be a tech whiz.

I have been shown this sensor for the LPG and bilge aswell, cheap and basic once you get to know how to wire it in that is lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MQ-2-MQ2-Gas-Sensor-Module-For-LPG-Propane-Hydrogen-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi/161942495151?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dc14a8295ee0440abb26487f5f2db8465%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D311020628170&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Not particularly easy. To set it up you need to connect to a windows PC / laptop via a serial port. Most PCs/laptops don't have a serial port these days, so you need a USB to serial adaptor dongle (cheapish from eBay). The serial port on the device is just a connection for 3 wires: send, receive and ground, so you have to pick the right 3 wires from a serial lead with the end chopped off, or wire your own 9'pin D-sub connector, and get them in the right terminals. Serial port has to be set to the correct baud rate etc. Plenty of scope for getting that wrong which will mean you can't communicate with it (but it's not catastrophic). You also have to install the setup utility on the PC.

Once you can communicate you have to wade through the ChEnglish gobbledygook in the manual!

A few things to bear in mind:

the outputs can only switch 0.2A so for any significant load you'd need a relay, being careful about the coil current.

the analogue inputs are 5-20mA loop, which is an industry standard but not that easy to interface with other stuff such as your gas sensor that outputs a variable voltage. Well not that difficult either I suppose, but you need a couple of resistors. Unless you just want to use the digital output from the gas sensor.

Oh and I'll mention that these devices don't do 3G. Since Three is a 3G-only network, don't get a Three SIM for it!

Obviously if you do get one, I'm happy to help you set it up, but remote help via messages can be problematic!

Here's the manual:

RTU5011 User Manual.pdf

On 8/21/2017 at 22:15, AndrewIC said:

Got mains power available? Search Amazon (other online tat bazaars are available) for "SMS remote socket". Even has a thermostat and temperature control. (I'd post a link but the iPad keeps opening the Amazon app)

No mains power but for an inverter. 

ill have a look now ;)

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Not particularly easy. To set it up you need to connect to a windows PC / laptop via a serial port. Most PCs/laptops don't have a serial port these days, so you need a USB to serial adaptor dongle (cheapish from eBay). The serial port on the device is just a connection for 3 wires: send, receive and ground, so you have to pick the right 3 wires from a serial lead with the end chopped off, or wire your own 9'pin D-sub connector, and get them in the right terminals. Serial port has to be set to the correct baud rate etc. Plenty of scope for getting that wrong which will mean you can't communicate with it (but it's not catastrophic). You also have to install the setup utility on the PC.

Once you can communicate you have to wade through the ChEnglish gobbledygook in the manual!

A few things to bear in mind:

the outputs can only switch 0.2A so for any significant load you'd need a relay, being careful about the coil current.

the analogue inputs are 5-20mA loop, which is an industry standard but not that easy to interface with other stuff such as your gas sensor that outputs a variable voltage. Well not that difficult either I suppose, but you need a couple of resistors. Unless you just want to use the digital output from the gas sensor.

Oh and I'll mention that these devices don't do 3G. Since Three is a 3G-only network, don't get a Three SIM for it!

Obviously if you do get one, I'm happy to help you set it up, but remote help via messages can be problematic!

Here's the manual:

RTU5011 User Manual.pdf

Even the basic will confuse me, so i may well be taking you up on the offer, i will see if a friend can help a si understand what you mean about it being harder work  to give help on line etc.

Will  look through the manual later, cheers for that ;)

I have a socket thingy from iSocketworld that takes a temperature probe and a bilge alarm.  It's very easy to configure and has an excellent Android app.  It will text me if the boat's temperature goes above or below set limits.  It will also send me a text if the bilge floods.  I have it set to send me a text every morning to confirm the strength of the phone signal the status of the bilge alarm.  The 13A socket can be remotely switched on/off and this can be based on 'rules' so that it could be used to automate a bilge pump or electric heater.

They also sell a project item https://www.isocketworld.com/en/iSocket-Smart-GSM-Modem-№1-ISM1GSMA56MT/

Kit is manufactured in Finland and tech support is excellent.

Where my boat is currently moored the 3G signal is a bit iffy but the system seems very robust and I get a status update almost every day.

It's a premium product at a premium price!