SMS controller thread ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all

I was asking about which is a good SMS controller some time ago for the boat. Sinc ehtne the forum has changed so this could the reason i can not find it. 

So lets start again as i am ready to get one to fit.

What i am after i is a controller so i can turn on the Propex heater and/or lights whilst i am away from the boat 

I have had this one saved on my ebay for ages but unsure if it was a good one or not. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Alarm-System-SMS-Controller-Security-Wireless-Control-4-Relay-CL4-GSM-UK/302062431355?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think i remember along the lines that i need a single input from the phone text to and the amount of outputs to suit what i want to be operated.  If thats is correct ?

So lest start again please.

:)

18 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Does anyone still use SMS? Semi serious question.

Yes. I use iMessage to other people with iPhones/iPads, but otherwise it's a text message for those who don't "do" email very well.

And yes, I SMS the boat to turn the heating on when we are en route to it in winter.

22 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Does anyone still use SMS? Semi serious question.

As to what though ?

Oh and i forgot this question, is the one i linked to able to send me a message if the boat is sinking, well the bilge pump or gas detector has gone off ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Alarm-System-SMS-Controller-Security-Wireless-Control-4-Relay-CL4-GSM-UK/302062431355?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

if not can anyone recommend one please.

Just check that it is compatible with the network you wish to use.  Giff Gaff is great value for SMS only as the credit does not expire.  Also check  that you get a reliable signal where you want to place the device.  I use kit from iSocketworld.com and it's great, but it is expensive; it's made in Europe.

31 minutes ago, NMEA said:

How is it going to be possible to turn on a zpropex when away from the boat? The gas bottle will be turned off surely.

Be difficult if the gas was turned off lol

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Very popular in the GPS/GSM area as you don’t need a data plan and can use payg sims cheaply.

Ahh, yeah, I suppose it makes sense if there's a extra cheap contact range, over and above a payg data service.

Daniel

19 minutes ago, W+T said:

This one only has one relay that can be turned on and off by SMS. The other relay is activated by one of the inputs, and generally it is designed as an alarm system rather than as a remote control system. I'd also be a bit worried by the quoted power need of 2A. If you have a read of the manual you will see that these things are not that easy to set up unless you speak Chinese English!

Just now, nicknorman said:

This one only has one relay that can be turned on and off by SMS. The other relay is activated by one of the inputs, and generally it is designed as an alarm system rather than as a remote control system. I'd also be a bit worried by the quoted power need of 2A. If you have a read of the manual you will see that these things are not that easy to set up unless you speak Chinese English!

Yes had a look at the instructions on some, and agree it would take some understanding Chin`glish wording lol.

Not a clue what to look for but the power consumption is high on that one.

The controller you linked to in your OP has 4 outputs and no inputs, so I think is more suited to your needs. You would need an external aerial as the provided "rubber duck" aerial probablynwouldnt work very well inside the boat. My other concern is that the quoted supply voltage is 9-12v. Of course when the engine is running or other battery charging, the voltage might be up around 14.5v. Whether or not the device would object to this, I don't know. Setup seems easier though, however it is less easy to control each individual output. From the ChEnglish instructions I think you have to send a command to indicate the state of each of the 4 outputs in a oner.

My SMS system is a little more complicated but it allows you to set up control phrases, so for example I text "Heatingon" to turn on the heating, not some gobbledygook series of characters.

I suggest you review the instruction manual for any such device before purchase and make sure you understand how to set it up, and whether you are happy with the usability of the SMS commands.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The controller you linked to in your OP has 4 outputs and no inputs, so I think is more suited to your needs. You would need an external aerial as the provided "rubber duck" aerial probablynwouldnt work very well inside the boat. My other concern is that the quoted supply voltage is 9-12v. Of course when the engine is running or other battery charging, the voltage might be up around 14.5v. Whether or not the device would object to this, I don't know. Setup seems easier though, however it is less easy to control each individual output. From the ChEnglish instructions I think you have to send a command to indicate the state of each of the 4 outputs in a oner.

My SMS system is a little more complicated but it allows you to set up control phrases, so for example I text "Heatingon" to turn on the heating, not some gobbledygook series of characters.

I suggest you review the instruction manual for any such device before purchase and make sure you understand how to set it up, and whether you are happy with the usability of the SMS commands.

I downloaded the instructions for the first one i linked to and keep reading it, its getting through, slosly but getting through, like you say it is a lot to send the message and i like the way yours works with an easy message. 

I will keep looking still, the main thing for receive a message is only for the LPG sensor and bilge pump. i can fettle some gubbns for that with the help of a sparky whiz, a few gadets about for the pump like this i believe will wokr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Realtime-Car-Vehicle-GPS-Tracker-Global-GSM-Locator-Tracking-Device-/263150257061?hash=item3d44fa43a5:g:nAEAAOSwOMdZVg9c&clk_rvr_id=1289682864279&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Good point on the DC input above 12v, no charging from the engine as it is an outboard with own battery, but when i am charging them on the boat i would have to maybe disconnect the GSM  or as there is two batteries then charge one ata time if it messes up the GSM memory. 

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

Good point on the DC input above 12v, no charging from the engine as it is an outboard with own battery, but when i am charging them on the boat i would have to maybe disconnect the GSM  or as there is two batteries then charge one ata time if it messes up the GSM memory. 

Or get a DC stabilised supply set to say 10V to drive the unit.

Good thinking Tony ;) 

I have a look at them.

Ah one o them, they are fitted to the dash boards on owd cars for volt control for the clocks, fuel and tacho maybe. 

Edited by W+T

The other thing I'd think about is whether you want to receive a reply SMS every time you switch something on or off. SMS on PAYG adds up and personally, I have this turned off and as a result I've had to top up the PAYG SIM once in 6 years. The only time it sends me an SMS is when I ask it a question eg battery voltage (mine can do analog inputs). I think the two units you've linked to cannot have reply SMS turned off (though I may have missed it in the instructions). If you have a lot of unused text messages on a pay-monthly phone as I do, it might make sense to simply send the command a couple of times to be certain the device has received it - although I just send it once and have only known it not to work once - for some reason the device locked up and I had to reboot it. But the absence of a reply wouldn't really have helped the situation.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

The other thing I'd think about is whether you want to receive a reply SMS every time you switch something on or off. SMS on PAYG adds up and personally, I have this turned off and as a result I've had to top up the PAYG SIM once in 6 years. The only time it sends me an SMS is when I ask it a question eg battery voltage (mine can do analog inputs). I think the two units you've linked to cannot have reply SMS turned off (though I may have missed it in the instructions). If you have a lot of unused text messages on a pay-monthly phone as I do, it might make sense to simply send the command a couple of times to be certain the device has received it - although I just send it once and have only known it not to work once - for some reason the device locked up and I had to reboot it. But the absence of a reply wouldn't really have helped the situation.

Best look into that aswell, i have a 7edge on 2 year contract so no charge for SMS or anything. It does run in 11 months but i have been told about a SIM i think for unlimited use at £20pm. Anyway thats another thing. Not sure i need a reply though like yourself. 

More to look into and think about ;)

48 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

...... The only time it sends me an SMS is when I ask it a question eg battery voltage (mine can do analog inputs)...

Do you have any info on the make/model of yours, assuming it's commercially available.

Daniel

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

Do you have any info on the make/model of yours, assuming it's commercially available.

Daniel

It's an RTU5011 such as here:

http://www.3gmobilecctv.com/rtu5011-gsm-controller-8-i-o-ports-4ad-inputs.html

or this one is the same product:

http://gsm-secure.co.uk/GSM-250b-GSM-Alarm.php

Edited by nicknorman