Weeks cruise from the Ashby..

lampini

Featured Posts

We have managed to wangle a week off from respective jobs over 26th Aug to 3rd Sept.. last time we went south and made it to Napton, had a great time notwithstanding our domestic alternator packing up!

This time we want to head north towards Rugely and beyond if poss - we brought the boat down from Gt Haywood last spring as total newbies and loved it! We've done the Ashby loads and love it but are reserving the Shackerstone festival until next year..

Ive realised that by going that way (towards Rougely) we will go through Alvecote during the festival there, but we may not arrive until the Sunday. 

Anyone here got experience of mooring, likely congestion etc? I quite fancy stopping for the Sunday night! We are reasonably fit and can walk back a fair bit to the Festival if needs be - or will it be totally rammo with boats? 

Cheers all - can't wait to slip our moorings and do some chugging! 

Also, will there be much school holiday business still?

jane x

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Whatever you do when passing Alvecote during the festival,  you must make sure that your stern line is not coiled on the tiller pin. Otherwise the commentator will bring everyone's attention to it and embarrass you :D

Thanks for the tip. It looks like we will be heading up that way as well, from Napton starting tomorrow, and may well go through while the festival is on.

I rarely coil my stern line over the tiller pin, preferring to remove it and put it on the roof (the line that is, not the tiller pin), but it has happened occasionally so I'll make sure I avoid it when passing the festival.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

I went past last year on the sunday, about lunchtime i think, managed to moor right outside on the tow path side, i recall the pilings run for a good distance before and after the marina so you should have no problems.

Thanks Dave - always good for a bit of advice, you are! We shall head for the Polesworth end as we will be orf again on Monday in that direction... one day I will make you that (from the bean) coffee or buy you that pint! 

:-)

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Whatever you do when passing Alvecote during the festival,  you must make sure that your stern line is not coiled on the tiller pin. Otherwise the commentator will bring everyone's attention to it and embarrass you :D

And quite rightly so!!

50 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

Thanks for the tip. It looks like we will be heading up that way as well, from Napton starting tomorrow, and may well go through while the festival is on.

I rarely coil my stern line over the tiller pin, preferring to remove it and put it on the roof (the line that is, not the tiller pin), but it has happened occasionally so I'll make sure I avoid it when passing the festival.

We did that until a sharp bend + 70'er  + low hanging willow + inexperience robbed us of our stern line somewhere round Great Haywood! It was a rubbish line anyway.... now ours is on a reachable hook near the tiller.... 

1 hour ago, lampini said:

Thanks Dave - always good for a bit of advice, you are! We shall head for the Polesworth end as we will be orf again on Monday in that direction... one day I will make you that (from the bean) coffee or buy you that pint! 

:-)

And quite rightly so!!

We did that until a sharp bend + 70'er  + low hanging willow + inexperience robbed us of our stern line somewhere round Great Haywood! It was a rubbish line anyway.... now ours is on a reachable hook near the tiller.... 

I always keep my stern line on my tiller pin. Over 40+ years I have managed to lose chimneys, ladders, planks, a watch and even food & drink from the roof but I have never had a problem with my stern line.

Of course now I will probably lose it backing off the pontoon next time!

34 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I always keep my stern line on my tiller pin. Over 40+ years I have managed to lose chimneys, ladders, planks, a watch and even food & drink from the roof but I have never had a problem with my stern line.

Of course now I will probably lose it backing off the pontoon next time!

Must admit I am trying to get my head round the physics which would allow you to loose the line.  I can see the tail perhaps working along but before it reached the deck the neck loop would be tight round the pin.  The other alternative is it jumps 6 or 7 cm in the air to get of the tiller pin.

For those who don't hang the rope can you tell me what happens.  I just can't get my head round it.

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Must admit I am trying to get my head round the physics which would allow you to loose the line.  I can see the tail perhaps working along but before it reached the deck the neck loop would be tight round the pin.  The other alternative is it jumps 6 or 7 cm in the air to get of the tiller pin.

For those who don't hang the rope can you tell me what happens.  I just can't get my head round it.

I must admit I have had similar thoughts and have often been tempted to leave it attached to the dolly (ready for quick use when mooring) and hanging over the tiller, particularly since I bought floating rope from Tradline a while back to use for all my lines.